Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Death to Death Compilation (Post your final versions here!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged
icon Death to Death Compilation (0)  
This isn't actually a thread where I'll be revealing my partly-finished hold to the public. No, I'm emailing it to a few people for final testing. What I want from the twenty entrants are:

1. Their final versions of their holds. Some of them weren't Anyone-Edit, so I can't copy and paste them.

2. Whether or not to specify an opening puzzle for their hold (so when one comes back from conquering the hold, one can conquer a room, and when all twenty are beaten the hold ends) If not, I'll come up with one to the best of my ability.

You can either post the opening puzzles and finished holds in this thread, or email them to me at maniacalninja@yahoo.com.

Furthermore, if you'd like me to email the hold to you upon completion for testing, specify your email address.

Thank you for furthering the compilation! :)

06-19-2006 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Death to Death Compilation (0)  
I guess I've got some work to do, becuase one room was unsolvable, and altogether, my hold wasn't very good.

06-19-2006 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Well, to be honest, you sorta made it before Ezlo said "okay no killing ANYTHING ANYTIME".

06-19-2006 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645

File: Halphs First Hold.hold (115.8 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Death to Death Compilation (+1)  
Yarr. Posting, and the like.
06-19-2006 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076

File: TryContest.hold (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 70 times.
icon Re: Death to Death Compilation (+2)  
Here.

[Last edited by Jason at 06-20-2006 04:36 PM]
06-19-2006 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
You can just take mine from the contest, since it was both bug-free and anyone-edit.
06-19-2006 at 04:51 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I guess I've got some work to do, becuase one room was unsolvable, and altogether, my hold wasn't very good.
Evaluated in light of the very first cut of the rules (basically "no direct kills"), I actually rather liked it, and I'd like to see it in the compilation pretty much as-is. Fix the unsolvable room, fix the one where you can get away with killing the single roach (I think I'm thinking of the right hold here; 'twas a south-easternish room) and that should do it.
06-20-2006 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670

File: DtD07jbluestein.hold (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 75 times.
Well, here's another shot at patching up the...issues with my entry. It may even merit 14th place upon reassessment!

06-20-2006 at 02:28 PM
Tuttle
Here's mine. [Edit: see page 2.]

Wrt when people return from the individual holds, I'm not sure a room that needs conquering really fits the contest. :) Maybe just have the hold exit stairs lead to an empty but required room, so once all 20 holds have been exited the blue door on the entry level opens.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 06-25-2006 03:57 AM]
06-20-2006 at 02:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tuttle

File: T Start 5N4W Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Jason, your new version allows 5N4W to be cleared (see demo). Changing that alcove I hid in (either remove it or make it at least 2 squares wide) should fix it.
06-20-2006 at 02:38 PM
jbluestein
Tuttle wrote:
Here's mine.

Wrt when people return from the individual holds, I'm not sure a room that needs conquering really fits the contest. :) Maybe just have the hold exit stairs lead to an empty but required room, so once all 20 holds have been exited the blue door on the entry level opens.

It'll be funny -- a hold with almost no highscorable rooms.

06-20-2006 at 03:23 PM
Chaco
Well, you see, King Ryui's castle is already ridiculously huge, and adding an extra twenty rooms or so is going to make it approximately 17 by 7 rooms long. This is a big number.

(admittedly, you don't go in most of them, but it's still huge on the mini-map and the restore map)

06-20-2006 at 03:38 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Tuttle wrote:
Jason, your new version allows 5N4W to be cleared (see demo). Changing that alcove I hid in (either remove it or make it at least 2 squares wide) should fix it.

Ooops. Fixed it. New version!

06-20-2006 at 04:36 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
jbluestein wrote:
It'll be funny -- a hold with almost no highscorable rooms.
You know, given the spirit of the competition, it might be a good idea just to mark all the rooms in the hold as uninteresting to begin with.
06-20-2006 at 04:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Well, I'm sorta thinking about, ya know, building the hold before I start checking options in the Hold Submit thingie.

I've run some calculations, and the main castle itself is about 170 rooms, or almost twice the size of the Loony Labyrinth... and that doesn't even count the holds which are supposed to be in it. Castles are *big*, man.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-20-2006 07:13 PM]
06-20-2006 at 07:12 PM
Chaco
jbluestein, 2S1E (the brained roachqueen room) of your entry doesn't seem possible anymore... I can't beat the roaches to the junction to the next room, and I can't kill them to get through them either. Stupid bombs + trapdoors.

06-21-2006 at 02:00 AM
jbluestein
Chaco wrote:
jbluestein, 2S1E (the brained roachqueen room) of your entry doesn't seem possible anymore... I can't beat the roaches to the junction to the next room, and I can't kill them to get through them either. Stupid bombs + trapdoors.

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure I still beat it in that configuration, but I'll try it out. I know there's not much margin.

This was probably the worst choice for a room design I could have come up with...far too variable.

06-21-2006 at 03:04 PM
Tuttle

File: SI Smitus Interruptus 2S1E.demo (784 bytes)
Downloaded 45 times.
It's solvable. Demo.

Edit: I have issues with 2S2E though. You need to enter with your sword the right way to solve it (eg SE (what you're most likely to have) is impossible), but there's a force arrow which stops you returning to 2S1E to fix it. You can safely get rid of that arrow; backtracking into 2S1E doesn't let you kill anything since the force arrow in that room blocks the brain logic.

[Last edited by Tuttle at 06-21-2006 03:27 PM]
06-21-2006 at 03:21 PM
jbluestein
Tuttle wrote:
It's solvable. Demo.

Edit: I have issues with 2S2E though. You need to enter with your sword the right way to solve it (eg SE (what you're most likely to have) is impossible), but there's a force arrow which stops you returning to 2S1E to fix it. You can safely get rid of that arrow; backtracking into 2S1E doesn't let you kill anything since the force arrow in that room blocks the brain logic.

There's a checkpoint at the end of 2S1E to allow easy restores. Problem is, if I don't have a force arrow at the beginning of 2S2E you can kill a brain and make an escape.

[Last edited by jbluestein at 06-21-2006 03:39 PM]
06-21-2006 at 03:39 PM
Chaco
So? Put a force arrow in later, and start the brains later. Maybe have an area to rotate your sword before you start the run, so people can't complain. There's room for it.

Ahem, I can't get involved right now, I have other holds to shove in.

EDIT:

Banjooie, in the fireworks room, you have Halph trying to move onto a tunnel. Which he can't do. Therefore, the rest of the script doesn't execute while he tries to move onto the tunnel, and he therefore doesn't detect me putting the roach into the bottom row.

I did like how you're not allowed to kill Halph with the mimic though :)

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-21-2006 03:53 PM]
06-21-2006 at 03:51 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
My fixed entry is in this post. (I expect that's enough for you, why attach same files in too many places?)
06-21-2006 at 04:51 PM
Chaco

File: HoP The Level 1N yay violence.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
Are you sure? :) I found a bug that needs fixing in 1N: the whole point of the room is keeping the roach alive, but I found a way that doesn't really require that.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-21-2006 05:18 PM]
06-21-2006 at 05:17 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Halls of Pacifism.hold (10.4 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Now, that's just silly. Alright. This post will contain my fixed fixed entry later.

Edit: New version 29/6/06

[Last edited by Doom at 06-29-2006 12:10 PM]
06-21-2006 at 05:20 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471

File: Ahimsa_fixed.hold (15.9 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
Here's my revised hold. And Chaco, instead of making killing rooms, OR a huge section of the castle devoted to non-required rooms, you could fit something similar to Doom's locking system in a small exit level shared by all the levels.

I have to get to class now, but I could even design it for you afterward if you'd like. Just let me know if you want each hold to have a unique reentry point to the main castle, or all go to the main entrance, and I'll put it together right away, and all you'll need is to connect a zillion stairs ;-)

06-21-2006 at 06:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Too late, I've already decided that I'm just going to do HIJK-style return rooms. It's much simpler and I've already started.

...not that that's too complicated for me, I could do that right now if I wasn't busy doing this.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-21-2006 07:11 PM]
06-21-2006 at 07:11 PM
Chaco
First square of what?

Anyway, progress is being made as I speak. No, wait, no it isn't. But it was a few minutes ago, I swear.

06-21-2006 at 08:14 PM
Tuttle

File: SI Smitus Interruptus 2S2E Victory.demo (1 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
jbluestein wrote:
Problem is, if I don't have a force arrow at the beginning of 2S2E you can kill a brain and make an escape.
Thanks for the hint. See demo. :)

I reckon you need to replace that first brain with a wall to fix it (or move the whole room over a square).

For the force arrow, you could either put the arrow under the mimic potion (once the brain thing is fixed), or move the room over two squares and move the force arrow one.
06-21-2006 at 11:12 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
My fixed version's here.

Tuttle, it's still not necessary to step on the SW fuse in 1N.

EDIT: Never mind the edit. O:-

[Last edited by michthro at 06-24-2006 10:06 PM]
06-24-2006 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
I'd like to encourage everybody to read michthro's list of errors. It's about halfway down the page and it's very informative.

Fix them as best you can and attach the new versions here if you haven't already.

(admittedly, I still haven't figured out how to break 3N2W of my entry)

06-24-2006 at 11:42 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471

File: TPH Good Will 3N2W Victory.demo (1017 bytes)
Downloaded 43 times.
Chaco wrote:
(admittedly, I still haven't figured out how to break 3N2W of my entry

Here's one way to clear the room.

06-25-2006 at 12:27 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Death to Death Compilation (Post your final versions here!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com