Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : L M N O (4 letters - 4 levels)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (22 votes)
σ 1.25
Author Name:Tscott
Submitted By:Tscott
Hold Name:L M N O
Theme:4 letters - 4 levels
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:53
Number of Monsters:2873
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:9 (+9 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: L M N O.hold (46.3 KB)
Downloaded 1555 times.
License: Other
icon L M N O  
Here's a new hold with four brand new levels to solve (and one entry level to walk through). Just like in H I J K, the levels can be played in any order you wish.

Hope you enjoy it.
05-24-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: L M N O (+1)  
Mastered. Overall a very well done hold. That one secret room with the three diagonal sets of roach queens was painful, though.

06-09-2006 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: L M N O (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Mastered. Overall a very well done hold. That one secret room with the three diagonal sets of roach queens was painful, though.

yeap! i tried this room about hundred times i believe! at this moment there are only 4 players, who mastered this piece of horror! :smile

zaubberer
:wizard
06-09-2006 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Part of the problem in that room is that the checkpoints aren't really usable before turn 500 or so. This is especially frustrating since there's really little room for mistake in the first 250 moves or so, and then it's still pretty easy to die many times before you can safely take a checkpoint.

Note - I'm not really complaining. If this wasn't a secret room, I would have been upset, but as a secret it's fine. And since there are no master walls in this hold, there's no real penalty for skipping this room if someone feels too frustrated by it.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-09-2006 08:33 PM]
06-09-2006 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Super hold!

You just can't beat it. Four holds for the price of one. And they're all fun.
06-09-2006 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
larrymurk wrote:
Super hold!

You just can't beat it.

Oh, I'm pretty certain it's beatable :)

06-10-2006 at 05:01 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
Part of the problem in that room is that the checkpoints aren't really usable before turn 500 or so. This is especially frustrating since there's really little room for mistake in the first 250 moves or so, and then it's still pretty easy to die many times before you can safely take a checkpoint.
Heh. It took me half an hour, but I liked the challenge. :thumbsup

And if you take a close look at the start you can figure out how many roach queens you have to kill right off the bat so you won't be overwhelmed by roaches later on...

Still, I haven't finished the hold yet but I really like the three quarters I've been to. :)

np: Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (The Bends)

06-10-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I got the incentive to retry that room and finally managed to beat. It took me 3000 moves though, as it was a while before I figured out what I was doing. :) Just need 1S now to complete the hold - except for the secrets - but I can only clear one side and then I get overwhelmed with roaches.
06-10-2006 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
In Mirage 2N, are both of the orbs supposed to be struck every 30 turns? It looks like you've got a seep release system set up, but working.

06-13-2006 at 02:14 AM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
RoboBob3000 wrote:
In Mirage 2N, are both of the orbs supposed to be struck every 30 turns? It looks like you've got a seep release system set up, but working.
The second orb doesn't get struck unless you're stuck in a door after the first orb is struck. Then you're really stuck...

06-13-2006 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This is a great hold!

Click here to view the secret text

In all, I really enjoyed this hold. I give it a 9 rating with an aggregate difficulty rating of 7 brains.

Tscott, I look forward to your next hold!

06-19-2006 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
...And mastered.

If anybody wants my opinions, they're in the Architecture thread.

I'm not really sure what your thoughts were when you made O 1S1W, but I'm sure they weren't healthy ones.

[Last edited by Chaco at 06-27-2006 07:55 PM]
06-27-2006 at 07:55 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: L M N O (+2)  
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this hold; I've found Overground and Mirage to be quite a bit more interesting than the other two levels, so I'm not sure how to rate it overall. My rating falls somewhere between 7 and 8, with 6 brains of difficulty (several challenging rooms in there).

Some specific comments below; somehow, I was wordier with Lullabye than with the three other levels put together.

Lullabye started out very well, with a pretty interesting Entrance room, but most of the rooms on this level didn't really grasp me. I've felt they mostly involved cutting through mud and tar without any other significant threat, so the "cleaning" part was too involved. Even in rooms with unreachable spawn points , like 1N 1E, it is often possible to use the tar/mud for hiding, and thereby be save from the spawns.

The two rooms I found the weakest are 1S 1E (quite long, but the only real danger comes from the occasional tar/mud baby) and 3E (the mud is tedious to clean, but that's the sole problem raised by that room). I also wonder about 1N 3E: is the orb supposed to be reached prior to having cleared most of the mud/tar? I went that way and got rid of the four roach queens while most roaches were still stuck in the middle, but the design of the room doesn't seem to match that solution. On the brighter side of the coin, I liked the idea behind 1N 2E, and found 4E to be quite interested; the spawns are much more than a nuisance in this room, with mud cleverly used as an obstacle.

As an aside, I feel pretty much the same about level 20 of Rooted Hold as I do about Lullabye. I can't say I cared much for most of the rooms in level 20, whereas I absolutely loved the tar/mud room on level 18. Perhaps it is the combination of these two elements that doesn't strike a code in me.

Next comes Mirage; I quite enjoy that one, and it may be my favourite of the hold. I like the global design of the level, and I've found most of the rooms to be solid and interesting. The first four rooms made good use of the looming tar element, and the next four ones were even better (1S shines in particular). The last four ones were a bit weaker in my opinion, chiefly 2N 1E, but they did not distract from the rest of the level.

Not Forgotten is close to Lullabye in so far as I only really enjoyed a few rooms of the level. The Entrance room makes a very clever use of golems, 3E with the black gate worked much better than the original design from Impossible Cubes, and 3S still has that sheer "all in one package" value. Most of the other rooms were much closer to average, and often did not change much compared to the original rooms.

I enjoyed Overground quite a lot, and I don't have any specific complaint against any of the rooms in that level; 2W did feel a bit tedious in the end, but that particular design requires this many queens, so it seems to be unavoidable. I actually liked the secret rooms, and found them fair enough (blessed be Undo, though). 1S 1W features a pretty crafty trick, and 2S was another well-made room, with an interesting brained roaches problem without being too tough (it's not Lone Soldier after all).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 06-27-2006 09:40 PM]
06-27-2006 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
....Lullabye bored you to sleep?
06-28-2006 at 05:14 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: L M N O (+2)  
This is a decent hold containing four distinct levels available to play in any order.

My initial impression was a little bit negative since I started with Not Forgotten - this consisted of slighty-altered rooms from previous Tscott holds, some of these I've probably done about 3/4 times previously so there was an element of repetition here. That soon passed as I played the other levels though - Lullabye had some nicely presented tar/mud rooms although the puzzles themselves weren't too difficulty, Overground was mainly roach-queen horde management and Mirage had a mixture of puzzles. There was also some story wrapped around the hold which added to the experience.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
05-27-2014 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : L M N O (4 letters - 4 levels) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com