Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deadly Platforms of Death (05/17/06 -- update at bottom)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deadly Platforms of Death (0)  
Hello? I would love to see this completed/compiled.

03-18-2007 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
I thought someone was getting all up in this compilation thing. Probably Chaco, because Chaco compilates everything. It's what he does.
03-18-2007 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Actually, like, no, UrAvgAzn did the compilating this time.

I'd steal his work and shove the other levels into it, but I'm not the sort of person who does that sort of thing.

03-18-2007 at 04:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Chaco wrote:
Actually, like, no, UrAvgAzn did the compilating this time.

I'd steal his work and shove the other levels into it, but I'm not the sort of person who does that sort of thing.
Go ahead, Chaco. Steal it, I don't care. I'm not around here much anymore, anyway.

Keep posting,

03-18-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Steals. But, first, I have to play through and make sure I have everything in the thread.

03-18-2007 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Go ahead, Chaco. Steal it, I don't care. I'm not around here much anymore, anyway.
And yet you still came here to tell Chaco that... hm....
03-18-2007 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Actually, I have about everything done but Someone Else's level. It's really difficult. -_-

03-18-2007 at 09:04 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
tokyokid wrote:
And yet you still came here to tell Chaco that... hm....

Yet another instance of the famous "Keep Off the Grass" paradox.

And I just noticed tokyokid tricked me into having a smiley post icon. I'm ashamed.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 03-19-2007 08:56 PM]
03-18-2007 at 09:12 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304

File: Someone Elses room demo.demo (986 bytes)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
Here is a demo of my room, in case you want to look at it Chaco.
03-19-2007 at 07:19 AM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
Nice that you're compiling all these things, Chaco. But keep your mind on your other unfinished compilations as well.

Keep posting,

03-19-2007 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
This one is pretty much complete; I'd just need to add Someone Else's in after I beat it and it'd be set.

03-19-2007 at 09:43 PM
Chaco
Gyahar, compilated.

I also added a room of my own behind the master wall. Commence the trivial-solution-finding, which shouldn't take long, seeing as most of the levels were already designed by all you people.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-20-2007 12:23 AM]
03-20-2007 at 12:23 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
FYI Chaco, the room beyond the master door is marked as required. Also, the stairs for what is behind the master wall are incorrectly mapped.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 03-20-2007 03:55 AM]
03-20-2007 at 03:54 AM
RoboBob3000
That room behind the master wall is a blast. Definately the best of the hold. I was able to manage it without hitting the tar/mud switch, however. It is possible to hit the stone tile with the mud on. Not sure what the intent in that room was, but it was great nonetheless.

03-20-2007 at 04:24 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
So I never realized there were so many levels!

I have so far managed to complete all of it except 7-1, and therefore 0-1. I didn't notice any problems. If the idea was for the difficulty to increase, well, that's certainly not what happens. Some of them I found very easy, and others quite challenging, and in seemingly no particular order.

03-20-2007 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
I admit that order of difficulty wasn't really something I was doing. If you'll notice; I pretty much just took UrAvgAzn's previous compilation, shoved his first DPOD level into there somewhere, and then added worlds for each subsequent set that was made.

Yeah, the intention is that you should have to have the tar on for the middle-top section, and the mud on for the lower-right section, even though it looks easier with tar.

03-20-2007 at 10:40 AM
Chaco

File: Deadly Platforms of Death Compilation.hold (71.2 KB)
Downloaded 79 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Deadly Platforms of Death (+2)  
Alright, here, I fixed all the problems. In addition, I tidied up a few of the scrolls and animations, and added really, really obvious "oh hey there might be something different about this level, possibly secret" things to levels which had challenges for them.

In related news, I added a challenge to episode 2-2.

Title screen demos. Check. Hold description, check, main entrance, check, and ending hold text, check.

So, RoboBob, I'd appreciate a demo of how you managed to beat 0-1 without using that switch, since that's entirely against the spirit of the level.

Once I get that unintended solution squelched, I'll submit this to the Hold Administration process and, eventually, everyone who doesn't check Architecture obsessively will have a new hold to play.

03-20-2007 at 08:58 PM
Sillyman
There's a problem with 6-2. The ending volcano ends up with the 1st and 4th crumbly walls unchopped for some reason.

03-20-2007 at 11:42 PM
Chaco
You might not be using the latest version of DROD - I've played the room many times using 2.0.15 and that room plays just fine.

When dealing with things like scripting, it's important to stay updated. Good point, though. I'll make sure to add a notice to the hold description when it gets to the Holds page.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-20-2007 11:47 PM]
03-20-2007 at 11:47 PM
Sillyman
Ah. I just saw the 2.0.12 indicator. I really need to update... :lol

03-20-2007 at 11:48 PM
Sillyman
icon Re: Deadly Platforms of Death (+1)  
And after updating, I load my saved game, and it's as if the bug never happened. I suspect this has something to do with the fact that DROD saved games are a sequence of moves.

03-20-2007 at 11:54 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
In world 1-2, you took out the middle wall. It's essential.

World 1-5, you can beat the room without killing the roach.
03-21-2007 at 03:18 AM
RoboBob3000
Chaco wrote:
So, RoboBob, I'd appreciate a demo of how you managed to beat 0-1 without using that switch, since that's entirely against the spirit of the level.
Not sure how to record a demo from the editor, or if it's even possible. I'm assuming that the trick I'm pulling is in the top middle section.

I'll give you movement in regards to high and low. With tar on and the roach at (16,10) moving east, move HLLHHHLL. Move to the west tunnel and step north. Move HLLHHLLHHH. That should get the roach to the force arrow below the stone tile. If there's anything else you're wondering about that one, let me know.

[One obvious solution, if I've outlined the actual problem, would be to remove the wall and blue tar from (18,7) and (19,7) and replace it with blue tar at (18,7).]

03-21-2007 at 05:47 AM
Chaco
You're supposed to have the blue tar on for that section. The only reason you can't do that straight away is that you have to return to the switch area to switch back to mud to do the lower right hand section, but since the wubba is gone from the very very first trip, you'll fall and die.

So, you have to do the lower right hand section first, ignoring the switch, then go back and swap to tar, using the appearing wall to fall upon, and then get the stone tile. At least, that's the plan anyway.

You can't record demos from the editor, but mastering the hold in-game and getting to that room will let you record demos in there from the main game.

03-21-2007 at 10:30 AM
RoboBob3000
RoboBob3000 meant to write:
With red mud on and the roach at (16,10) moving east, move HLLHHHLL. Move to the west tunnel and step north. Move HLLHHLLHHH. That should get the roach to the force arrow below the stone tile. If there's anything else you're wondering about that one, let me know.

Whoops. This should make more sense.

03-21-2007 at 02:26 PM
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deadly Platforms of Death (05/17/06 -- update at bottom)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com