Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.2/10 (43 votes)
σ 2.22
Author Name:Pilchard VIII
Submitted By:Pilchard VIII
Hold Name:King Pilchard VIII\'s Dungeon
Theme:Adventure
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:20
Number of Rooms:159
Number of Monsters:3819
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+7 / -6)
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+1)  
Good to see you enjoyed the hold. The Cwazy Castle thing was an abandoned hold, so I didn't really work on it. Good to see you have a keen eye for hold art! And speaking of spelling mistakes...
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 05-11-2006 08:44 AM]
05-11-2006 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (0)  
Pilchard VIII wrote:
And speaking of spelling mistakes...

Gah! I'm so embarassed!

Karmic backlash is not my friend. :)

05-11-2006 at 02:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Putting blue doors in the challenge level is a really bad idea. If you over look one of the challenge staircases, or choose not to do one on your first play through, then you end up having to do a majority of the hold again in order to open them.
:/

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-16-2006 02:59 PM]
06-16-2006 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
I know that's a problem, but if there's a better solution, I'd like to hear it ASAP.

06-16-2006 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+2)  
You can make sure that it's possible to backtrack and reach all the secrets from any point in the game. That way, people can just walk back.

If you can't make the hold backtrackable without changing the rooms too much, it should be possible for you to just place stairs at the end that go back to the first level. Assuming there are no rooms that are made impassible by conquering them (because of unbreakable tar without mothers or green doors protecting from bomb blasts or such) players will be able to go and collect all the secret they're missing.

You could also just have a special warp area that just leads to all the secret level entrances. As far as I remember, they weren't particularly hidden, so it's not like this will spoil anything.

06-16-2006 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Or perhaps I could take them out of the levels and put them on the end of the hold! Great idea, eytanz.

06-17-2006 at 11:38 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Hey, I *liked* that they were within the hold the way they were... made it easier on me, certainly ^^

I'd say just add the extra warp room or something. By the time someone's gotten to the point of having access to it, they'd normally be going into 'find the secret rooms' mode anyways, so it makes it a little easier on the players anyways, but doesn't take away the fun of solving the challenge rooms in the midst of the hold.

[Last edited by Hikari at 06-18-2006 02:23 AM]
06-18-2006 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
I see where you're coming from, but if i duplicate the challenge rooms, and put a warp room to these instead, then the player's only going to get 50% of the secrets. And if I leave them where they are, then when you leave the challenge, you end up having to play through LOADS of te hold again. But then I thought, you could just restore back to the roms with challenges in, and then complete them that way.

06-18-2006 at 06:58 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, you can't, because then the blue door won't open. That's the difference between a blue door and a master wall - master walls are designed to work even if you restore, but blue doors won't. Which is why you should always use master walls and not blue doors for this sort of purpose.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-18-2006 07:10 AM]
06-18-2006 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Okay. I'm now fixin the hold so that you can backtrack to the challeng rooms. I'm also including one or two new floor styles.

06-18-2006 at 07:35 AM
Pilchard VIII
Got a bit of a problem. Can the next administrator that is online please send me a PM. It's a problem regarding hold upload.

06-18-2006 at 08:54 AM
Pilchard VIII
Hey, does anybody know where the sounds from the funny farm area of my hold went?

06-22-2006 at 10:48 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Which rooms did you change which could have invalidated demos?
By the sounds of it, you just changed the blue door thing, but (pending high scroe uploads) I've lost 20 #1s so obviously would like to know if any rooms changed layout :)
06-24-2006 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
I changd the layout of almost every room, to make the whole hold backtrackble. I aded AE floor styles to some floors, and I completely changed:
Castle - Ground Floor : 1W
Lowest Foor : 3N, 4N
The room behind the blue doors in Castle Challenges

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 06-24-2006 12:26 PM]
06-24-2006 at 12:26 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I actually finished it! Yay!

06-24-2006 at 12:39 PM
Syntax
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I changd the layout of almost every room, to make the whole hold backtrackble. I aded AE floor styles to some floors, and I completely changed:
Castle - Ground Floor : 1W
Lowest Foor : 3N, 4N
The room behind the blue doors in Castle Challenges
Thanks! That's great info. You've saved me at least an hour trawling through your hold looking for what might have affected my scores (yup, I'm an optimiser :)).

As you know, I think this is a great hold anyways.
06-24-2006 at 12:54 PM
Pilchard VIII
Why, thank you. Does it download okay, and do the affected rooms appear okay?

06-24-2006 at 12:59 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Hiya Pilchard.... it seems the door to the guards won't open in Castle Challenges 3n2, is it a scripting error or am I not stepping in the right place?

06-25-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Yeah, I noticed that cos i did some changes to the room layout. I can't remember if I fixed it in the newest uploaded version or not, but I can have a look if you want.

06-25-2006 at 02:02 PM
Syntax
Is this the only room to have changed in the latest update?
06-25-2006 at 04:39 PM
Beef Row
Well, the challenge works now, but I'm noticing that scripted rooms like Ground floor 1N1E and Castle Challenges 1N4W allow 1 move completions and so aren't scorable.

Great job on the hold though, its fairly easy, but has some very clever puzzle rooms, and many rooms that are simple to complete but devious to perfect. Backtracking will be nice, since I think the area behind the blue door was the only place I never managed to go, just need to catch any bugs that crept in with the backtrack

EDIT: Also in 1N4W you can slay the slayer trivially while backtracking.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 06-25-2006 11:15 PM]
06-25-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (+2)  
so, in a terrifying fit of events, Pilchard can legitimately be selected to do a Smitemaster's Selection.

Scary, huh?
06-26-2006 at 05:59 AM
Beef Row
The new blue door in Lower Floor: 2N makes the slayer useless, so its basically like the challenge.

06-26-2006 at 06:11 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Not right now, it's only 7.9/10.

06-26-2006 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Then someone *just* downvoted it, it was 8.1 when it had 16 votes.

Edit: And it's back to 8.0. Woo.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 06-26-2006 04:53 PM]
06-26-2006 at 04:35 PM
Pilchard VIII
Okay, fixed these bugs. But you see why I didn't originally allow backtracking, because whenever I try, it creates all sorts of problems.

06-26-2006 at 04:49 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Finally getting around to this one. There's some very nice stuff in here; I love the idea of a "challenge floor".

A note, though, since I know you're just sitting there thinking, "I haven't had enough of a chance to update this hold": the stairs in the 375-move-mud challenge end the hold.
07-01-2006 at 10:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Tahnan wrote:
the stairs in the 375-move-mud challenge end the hold.
Yeah... that old bug keeps cropping up. You need to do it in either less than, or more than, 375 moves. 375 is the internal register overflow number, so any room like this will need at least 1 pause.

;)
07-01-2006 at 11:06 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Syntax wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
the stairs in the 375-move-mud challenge end the hold.
Yeah... that old bug keeps cropping up. You need to do it in either less than, or more than, 375 moves. 375 is the internal register overflow number, so any room like this will need at least 1 pause.

;)

Um... right. o_O

The room with the faulty stairs isn't the one with the 375-move script. It's just a mismapped stairs bug in this case.

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-01-2006 11:46 AM]
07-01-2006 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Hikari wrote:
The room with the faulty stairs isn't the one with the 375-move script. It's just a mismapped stairs bug in this case.

That's all I was pointing out, yes. There're some minorly irritating scripting bugs, too, typically ones that allow much shorter solutions (e.g.,
).
07-02-2006 at 01:22 AM
Page 2 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Pilchard VIII's Dungeon (Adventure)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com