Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (copied over from YouTube discussion)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
IP: Logged

File: checkerboard.zip (4.8 MB)
Downloaded 37 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (+1)  
Some minor spoilers if you have not yet played Treacle Stew : Level Two : 1 South, 1 West. Nothing about the puzzle is discussed here, just the shape of the room.

In one of Alex Diener's YouTube videos about Treacle Stew: Episode 8, Alex said that "[his] eyes don't like this room", and one of his commenters agreed that he was starting to feel physically nauseated too. While I don't have that visceral of a reaction to it, I can certainly see where they're coming from, and think that there's an opportunity to improve accessibility here.

I originally built the room with walls to mirror how King Dugan's Dungeon also built checkerboards with plain walls and floor (e.g. King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Fourteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East, and King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Eighteenth Level : 2 North, 2 East). However, at least in cases where there aren't pushing weapons, Seep, evil eyes, etc. there's some possible alternative ways to make a diagonal checkerboard pattern of floor and impassible tiles here.

https://imgur.com/a/rzNHKHn
EDIT 2023-04-24: I've attached a zip file with the imgur pictures since imgur may be deleting these in the future.

I've posted some pictures of different diagonal patterns in this album; let me know which of these you prefer, or feel free to post your own editor screenshots and suggestions of how you'd like rooms with this diagonal pattern of free squares and obstacles to look.

[Last edited by Chaco at 04-24-2023 09:51 PM]
01-01-2023 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ThemsAllTook
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 207
icon Re: Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (+2)  
Interesting comparison! I'm still finding the checkerboard water ones a bit hard to look at, with a slightly different feeling to it than the walls. The gravestones at the end are nice and comfortable, though. The one with the lighting dimmed is a little bit gentler, but even the one with full lighting and shadows feels pretty nice.
01-01-2023 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (+1)  
In this particular case, pits? There's no shadow cast across the other floors, and because they're all single squares you don't get the depth effect within the pits either.
01-01-2023 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (0)  
Just for the sake of thoroughness, let's see the "bread, eggs, breaded eggs" approach of using water with tombstones sticking out of it.

01-01-2023 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (+1)  
I like all the dimmer ones over their bright counterparts, so for me I think its the shadows that are causing the discomfort.
01-01-2023 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (+3)  
The gravestones are easily the worst for me. I don't have any visual discomfort looking at any of them, but to me the gravestones don't scan as a checkerboard pattern nicely.
01-02-2023 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Platforms in water, rafts in pits?

Character gel babies as walls :)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-02-2023 10:27 AM]
01-02-2023 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alexhauler
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Tuttle wrote:
In this particular case, pits? There's no shadow cast across the other floors, and because they're all single squares you don't get the depth effect within the pits either.
01-25-2024 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Accessibility - Diagonal Checkerboard Patterns and Eye-Strain (copied over from YouTube discussion)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com