Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Rapid Architecture Compilation
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dragon Fogel
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2430
IP: Logged

File: Rapid Architecture.hold (11.9 KB)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Rapid Architecture Compilation (+2)  
The compilation for the Rapid Architecture contest that just concluded.

Hold is freely exitable but I could change that if people really wanted me to.

Feel free to edit your rooms to make them work the way you hoped. But also feel free to leave them as-is if you think that's more interesting or you don't have time. It's your call!

People who didn't enter the contest should also feel free to post rooms made with the prompts. Keeping to the hour limit and streaming are optional, though if somebody posts a lot of rooms I would encourage them to make their own hold out of them instead. I'll include any such unofficial entries that get posted here, up to an arbitrary deadline that I haven't decided on yet (but probably around one month from now).

All rooms are solvable. In fact I'll be posting my demos momentarily. Pretty sure I found some unintended solutions.

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 04-30-2021 10:11 PM]
03-20-2021 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel

File: Rapid Architecture.demo (37.9 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
icon Re: Rapid Architecture Compilation (+2)  
Here are my demos.
03-20-2021 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: Rapid Architecture Compilation (0)  
Any thoughts on editing rooms to fix unintended solutions, or is the charm of the hold leaving rooms as they were after the hour, with only fixes to make rooms not completely impossible? My 2E has some obvious-in-hindsight unintended solutions, but I'm undecided on if I should fix it or not. I think my rooms still stand as a good testament to something done in an hour, warts and all.
03-20-2021 at 05:47 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Rapid Architecture Compilation (+1)  
I'm leaving it up to the discretion of the architects. Fix things up if you want, or leave it as it is if you think that's better.

All rooms are solvable, if not necessarily the way the architect intended.
03-20-2021 at 05:54 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Personally, I'd prefer leaving the rooms mostly as-is, as a direct representation of what the architects had after the hour is done. Of course, that's just my opinion as somebody who wasn't directly involved in this at all, though.

I certainly wouldn't mind adding checkpoints to the rooms that were lacking them, or maybe cleaning up decorations / floor markings / scrolls a bit, but otherwise I think the appeal of the rooms is sending them in with only minimal rounds of iteration.

03-20-2021 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Hahaha, my 1S1E room really didn't work the way I'd intended it to. I was thinking of fixing the one door that's not supposed to be up, but it's so broken it doesn't really matter. I think it's better if I leave it alone, in the spirit of the contest.

Oh, and my 2S room you solved with a US too. I guess that's the real theme of the contest?

But yeah, feel free to add a few checkpoints.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 03-20-2021 06:00 PM]
03-20-2021 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Quick update to add more checkpoints, hopefully in okay places.

1S1E in Someone Else's entry has a challenge, but it ends up being trivial to complete. Does he want to keep that in anyways?
03-21-2021 at 02:47 AM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
Unless something was changed, the challenge awards even if you blow up all the kegs.

03-21-2021 at 05:44 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Let's take it out. And the scroll, but might as well leave the mirror.
03-21-2021 at 05:39 PM
Dragon Fogel
Updated. The challenge is removed and also the scroll for mauve's entry in the hub says "Rapid Disaster" instead of "Rapid Architecture".

I noticed the error a while ago but for some reason I didn't think to change it until now.
03-21-2021 at 05:57 PM
mauvebutterfly
Because 1E was rushed I never ended up putting checkpoints in it. I'm not too picky about where they go, but I'd probably put one in the water between each set of arrows. If you want me to reupload the room I can do that, or the compiler could just throw a few checkpoints into the room.

03-22-2021 at 10:48 AM
Dragon Fogel
All right, no particular activity. Over the weekend I may try to make my own "entry", and I might even stream it.

Anybody else who's interested can also submit an unofficial late entry and I'll include it; there is no obligation to hold to the one-hour time limit or stream it, just make up to three rooms from the list of prompts.

I will repost the list here for convenience:
Click here to view the secret text

Prompts may be combined freely. Only one prompt per room is necessary. Repeating prompts is allowed but you should use at least three total.

I'm going to make an informal deadline of the end of April for submitting these. I will probably submit the hold to HA soon after that; I only plan on making sure the rooms are solvable, and checking whether the formal entrants are fine with any unintended solutions that pop up. If you want time to have your rooms tested further, I suggest making them earlier in the month.

Of course, you can also use these prompts to make rooms and put them in a hold of your own if you'd like.
03-26-2021 at 11:05 PM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, I've decided to do a stream of my architecture attempt tomorrow at Local Time:03-28-2021 at 07:00 PM.

I haven't picked out specific prompts to do so I guess we'll see what catches my interest at the time.
03-27-2021 at 08:53 PM
Dragon Fogel
Here's the stream: https://youtu.be/RQdFXv7hQKs
03-28-2021 at 06:55 PM
Dragon Fogel
New version attached to the first post, with the rooms I made during my stream just now. (With some walls added.) Wouldn't say the rooms were amazing, but I had fun making them.

I guess I should make demos of my own rooms. Probably not going to fix any breaks that people find, though.

For the record, the prompts I used:

-1N: Exactly one roach
-1E: Unconventional trapdoor puzzle
-1W: GET GOBLIN. USE GOBLIN ON SNAKE. KILL GOBLIN. Also sort of used "Third time's the charm".
03-28-2021 at 08:44 PM
Dragon Fogel
Bumping this.

I guess I'll contact the people who haven't explicitly told me they're keeping their levels as-is to check if they want to make any changes.

Other than that, reminder that I'm still accepting submissions from anyone else who wants to make rooms from the prompts.
04-12-2021 at 06:03 AM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1527
Yeah, we can leave my level alone. I thought about adding more A's to the walls, but that's probably not necessary.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

04-12-2021 at 04:21 PM
Dragon Fogel
All right, sent PMs to other entrants asking for clarification.

Also worth thinking about if you want to add challenges to any of your rooms even if you don't plan on changing them otherwise.
04-12-2021 at 04:39 PM
mauvebutterfly

File: Rapid Disaster.hold (3 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
I think a checkpoint or two should probably be added to 1E of my entry, but that's the only change I'm interested in making.

Attached is my contest entry again with checkpoints added, but if you had already added checkpoints to the room you don't need to bother with the file.

edit: no interest in adding challenges to my entry

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 04-12-2021 06:41 PM]
04-12-2021 at 06:41 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668

File: Kierans Speedy Stuff.hold (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
I've decided that fixing Unintended Solutions and other changes goes against the spirit of the contest, but I did add some checkpoints to all the rooms.
04-12-2021 at 08:51 PM
Dragon Fogel
I guess I should note that I already added checkpoints and they should be in the most recently-posted version, so just let me know if you want changes from what I've done there.
04-12-2021 at 09:37 PM
mauvebutterfly
Okay, looks good to me. I did just realise that there isn't an escape stairway in my entrance room, so that would probably be good to add too, but I'm not too bothered about it.

04-13-2021 at 05:58 AM
Dragon Fogel
Okay, everybody has informed me that they want to keep their levels as-is rather than fixing up unintended solutions.

So I guess I'll just wait until the end of the month to see if anyone else wants to do an unofficial entry, and then I'll send this to HA.

I could also add return stairs to entries that don't have them, and I guess I could make it necessary to actually clear the entries to complete the hold, but it's not a big deal either way.

Thanks again to everyone who participated!
04-14-2021 at 09:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
The end of April is fast approaching. On May 1st, I'll send this to HA.

If anyone else wants to throw some rooms together based on the prompts, now's the time!
04-24-2021 at 04:58 PM
Dragon Fogel
icon Re: Rapid Architecture Compilation (+2)  
I was playing through my rooms to get demos, and realized that one of navithmastero's rooms disabled shallow water traversal and it was never re-enabled.

Update posted to fix this.

Tomorrow I send this to HA, but if someone wants to make a last-minute submission today, I'll accept it.
04-30-2021 at 10:12 PM
Dragon Fogel
All right, sent to HA. Thanks to everyone who participated!
05-01-2021 at 08:13 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Rapid Architecture Compilation
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com