Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 10 easy puzzles in a toilet
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
chesse20
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 28
IP: Logged

File: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet.hold (6 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 10 easy puzzles in a toilet (+5)  
I'm not even done playing my first drod (gunthro) but i made a hold its very easy i think? Theres like 10 puzzles and I didn't think when making them beforehand, so its all improv puzzles.

Edit:
Version 2 with additional green door and last room made secret so ending the hold is now possible.
Version 3 with coded challenges from jokokoe and a slight increase in difficulty in the last puzzle along with a fix is uploaded to the submitted version

[Last edited by chesse20 at 02-26-2019 06:24 AM]
02-15-2019 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623

File: 10toilets_Chaco.demo (8.7 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
icon Re: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet (0)  
Neat hold! This is definitely an easy-difficulty hold, but I had a lot of fun just blasting through all the rooms, which is exactly what you want to go for. It kind of reminds me of the "war" series of holds, but much easier, which I think is great.

I will mention it's probably a good idea to put a green door at the north edge of 1N1W, just so the player can't accidentally leave that room unconquered; if they come back in that way they can't beat the room from that entrance.

The challenge in Toilet Bowl 1W is possible. Are you planning on scripting a challenge recognition script for it, or just leaving it unofficial? We can help with scripting if you'd like.

Most importantly, I solved 5 rooms in Toilet Door but the blue door doesn't open. I suspect that Twice North may be marked "required" despite being behind the blue door. Could you check that for me?

Finally, despite the theme of the hold I don't *think* this hold would have any content issues with passing through Hold Administration for publication.

So, overall I'm quite impressed and think this is good stuff. I think both novice players and veteran optimizers alike would enjoy this. Attached are some victory demos of mine; maybe they might be educational to watch.

02-15-2019 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
LeoS
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
Chaco wrote:
...passing through Hold Administration...
What a pun-tastic choice of words!
02-15-2019 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
chesse20
Chaco wrote:
I will mention it's probably a good idea to put a green door at the north edge of 1N1W, just so the player can't accidentally leave that room unconquered; if they come back in that way they can't beat the room from that entrance.

The challenge in Toilet Bowl 1W is possible. Are you planning on scripting a challenge recognition script for it, or just leaving it unofficial? We can help with scripting if you'd like.

Most importantly, I solved 5 rooms in Toilet Door but the blue door doesn't open. I suspect that Twice North may be marked "required" despite being behind the blue door. Could you check that for me?
I don't know about challenge coding so they are all unofficial challenges, but I fixed the issues you mentioned and uploaded it to the opening post. I watched the demos, looked good a lot more efficient than my solutions.
02-15-2019 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jokokoe
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 71

File: Toilet.rar (7.6 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
icon Re: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet (+3)  
Hello chesse20 ! I just finished your hold and have some suggestions for you. You'll find in the attached file my demos but also a single room hold with two NPC that code your challenges. The left NPC code the roach queens challenge while the right NPC code the Slayer challenge. Just copy/paste them in their respective rooms, if you will ! (By the way, the challenges names are 'Challenge 1/2 Complete' feel free to change this ...)

First thing I would recommend is to add some checkpoints in everyrooms !

The Plumbing 2N2W : This room can be done without using any Soldier horn in case you were wondering, might be another challenge ?

The Plumbing 4N1W : I really enjoyed this one using the right entrance. You should definitely make it the only entrance of the room. And to force the player going north, maybe use orbs and doors that will close as bombs explode ?

Toilet Bowl 1W : As said, you can copy/paste my NPC to get an official challenge. This room was fun, and there is a few way to improve it. Instead of having two queens on the bottom right part, you could create another "fortification" on the upper right, in that way the player will be surrounded. You could also randomize a bit the position of the Trapdoors to make things harder ...

Toilet Bowl 1N : If your intention is the player to cross the room to go to sword token, you should make the entrance a one square entrance because, as you can see in my demo, you just need to step left or right to get your sword back. In any case, the soldier horn with the Wraithwing was a nice puzzle.

Toilet Bowl 2N1W : Nothing really hard in this room, you could definitely improve it by removing eyes and bomb and place the arrow one square down, to trap the player in the centre part and force him to "dance" on the trapdoors with the two goblins.

That's all, I hope it will help you !

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
02-22-2019 at 10:00 PM
chesse20
icon Re: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet (+1)  
jokokoe wrote:
Hello chesse20 ! I just finished your hold and have some suggestions for you. You'll find in the attached file my demos but also a single room hold with two NPC that code your challenges. The left NPC code the roach queens challenge while the right NPC code the Slayer challenge. Just copy/paste them in their respective rooms, if you will ! (By the way, the challenges names are 'Challenge 1/2 Complete' feel free to change this ...)

First thing I would recommend is to add some checkpoints in everyrooms !

Toilet Bowl 1W : As said, you can copy/paste my NPC to get an official challenge. This room was fun, and there is a few way to improve it. Instead of having two queens on the bottom right part, you could create another "fortification" on the upper right, in that way the player will be surrounded. You could also randomize a bit the position of the Trapdoors to make things harder ...

Toilet Bowl 1N : If your intention is the player to cross the room to go to sword token, you should make the entrance a one square entrance because, as you can see in my demo, you just need to step left or right to get your sword back. In any case, the soldier horn with the Wraithwing was a nice puzzle.

Toilet Bowl 2N1W : Nothing really hard in this room, you could definitely improve it by removing eyes and bomb and place the arrow one square down, to trap the player in the centre part and force him to "dance" on the trapdoors with the two goblins.
I'm working on those issues but how do i copy the challenge npcs?
02-22-2019 at 11:22 PM
jokokoe
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 71
icon Re: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet (+1)  
while having the mouse clicking on the NPC, just press control-C , then on your hold , control-V and place the NPC where you want in the room (in a corner, for example) ;)

Architecture Salon
Do it Again
02-23-2019 at 12:25 AM
chesse20

File: 10 easy puzzles in a toilet.hold (6 KB)
Downloaded 23 times.
i fixed the issues and added the challenge npcs
02-26-2019 at 06:25 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : 10 easy puzzles in a toilet
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com