Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Labyrinthitis (Expanded - New and Improved)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged

File: Labyrinthitis expanded.hold (36.5 KB)
Downloaded 99 times.
License: Other
icon Labyrinthitis (+4)  
With: better rooms, more levels, more secrets, improved storyline. 50% more ultimate!

For the first person to PM the names of all the levels, I'll give some rank points.

Will leave it up for a week or so for anyone to comment before submitting to the holds board.

Thanks

[Edited by Jacob at Local Time:02-14-2005 at 06:31 PM]
11-25-2004 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Labyrinthitis (+1)  
Quite nice hold so far, but the first level (Headache) is impossible to complete.

The Entrance: You only need two mimics. You can't return from the upper east exit; you have to take the long way around (a bit annoying)

1E: I didn't need the mimic potion in the SE corner
Click here to view the secret text

1N1E: Was the intended solution to
You don't need to. The crumbly wall (NW) is missing.

2N: Possible to complete, but impossible to exit once completed (the crumbly wall is missing), and as this room is required, it makes the whole level impossible to complete.

11-25-2004 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Apologies. Solutions are now less trivial and I have corrected the errors you mention. Am not too sure of why 2N is unexitable, could you be more specific? As far as I can tell:

I think everything should work fine now.
Thanks.
11-26-2004 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Hi.

I've just tried.

My comments to the rooms so far:

A very nice and interesting hold so far. Not too hard, and some new tricks. Very promising!

I like it. Are you going to make more?

-- Tim

11-27-2004 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Thanks to you both for your comments, much appreciated. Glad you've enjoyed it so far.
Latest version, hopefully, makes it impossible to

I found it was actually possible to

However, if you used the solutions which I have now made impossible you may enjoy the hold less now, hope this is not the case. (I can always change it back.)

As for 1S2E, there is a trick, as follows:

I don't know if you had already figured that out though.
If so
Don't mean to be patronising if you got one or other of those already.
Hope you enjoy the remaining levels.

11-28-2004 at 03:58 PM
Jacob
icon Re: Labyrinthitis (0)  
Oops, completely without realising it I used Tim's sig as a joke in one of the later rooms. It was inspired by a couple of rooms in rowrow's hold. Only just noticed that.
Now it looks completely unoriginal :( Will change it later.
I always liked that paradox, but the unexpected exam and the barber paradoxes are more infuriating.

11-28-2004 at 04:04 PM
=AZ=
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
Wow! Maybe it's just I'm not that good at DROD, but that hold you made seriously challanges me..... I can just about do the first room, but from there on I'm stuck. Very clever stuff in there, nice one :thumbsup

11-28-2004 at 04:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Jacob wrote:
Oops, completely without realising it I used Tim's sig as a joke in one of the later rooms. It was inspired by a couple of rooms in rowrow's hold. Only just noticed that.
Now it looks completely unoriginal :( Will change it later.
:blush Did you know that the two rooms in rowrow's hold was based on his sig, and that his sig was based on my sig?

Actually, I don't mind. I always get my inspiration for my holds from something else as well ;)

I always liked that paradox, but the unexpected exam and the barber paradoxes are more infuriating.
My sig has actually a real solution, but I'm not going to tell you now. The unexpected exam is just a joke, and the barber is just a bad definition.

By the way, have you ever heard of the one about the unstoppable cannon hitting the unbreakable wall?

-- Tim

[ Edit: You mean I will have to play the hold all over again with your new update? ]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:11-29-2004 at 12:17 AM]

11-29-2004 at 12:15 AM
Jacob
See no reason why you should have to play the hold from the start, Tim. As far as I was aware you'd completed all but one room of the first level, so once you've done that and you're onto the next level everything is unchanged.

Would be interested to hear what people think of the remaining levels.

In what way is the unexpected exam a joke? I know of no-one who's found the flaw in the logic.

Surely an unstoppable cannonball and an unbreakable wall are impossible anyway? And that thought experiment show's they're at least mutually exclusive. Unless the cannonball just rebounds. But I'll probably get in trouble now for not discussing architecture on the architecture board!

=AZ=, I'm sure the hold isn't that bad, especially when compared to some others I've played. If you have any specific problems that you need hints for, ask and I can (probably) help.

Cheers, J

11-29-2004 at 11:57 AM
Tim

File: L Headache 2N Tim.demo (790 bytes)
Downloaded 105 times.
I have a demo for you.

Use it in the appropriate room (by pressing F6 and Import).

-- Tim

PS. For your information, I did finished that level before upgrading the hold ;)

11-29-2004 at 09:36 PM
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
An entertaining hold but I have now come to a standstill on Level 3 (Disorientation).   On clearing the entrance you can leave in any of the four directions but on return further progress may be blocked.

I found that I had to go east first, or I couldn’t go there at all, then south and west but was then completely blocked on return from the west.   Similarly, return from the north blocks all further progress.   There is an additional problem in going north in that you can’t return south from 3N (blocked by red gate) so this direction should be tackled last, when the blue gate has dropped.   Incidentally, I very much enjoyed the Labyrinth to the north, possibly the first DROD maze that I didn’t find tedious, so well done.

I have looked for crumbly walls in the entrance without success and may have missed a trick with the orbs.   I certainly hope that the latter is true so that I can reach the final level of a hold that has played perfectly until now.

On Level 1 (Headache): 2N you can also kill the snake, on its third lap:
But I don’t think that this spoils the room.

[Edited by Atch at Local Time:12-01-2004 at 12:17 PM: Was incorrect on Level 1: 2N]
12-01-2004 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Hi.

I'm also stuck on the third level with those doors, but since I've seen every room on that level now, I don't think I want to do it again...

But comments until there:

Overall, this is a really fun hold. Although the second and third level were less original or challenging, it has one of the better labyrinth puzzles I've seen. But please try to make The Entrance in level 3 much less frustrating though. I really don't want to finish a lot of rooms before I can find I can't continue.

Cool Hold.

-- Tim

12-01-2004 at 02:02 PM
Tim
Oh, and can I just say I just found the secret room with the two scrolls on level 3? Just for that, I will give you a +1 :lol
Of course I won't repeat the contents of the scrolls in this post ;)

-- Tim

12-01-2004 at 07:41 PM
Jacob

File: Labyrinthitisend.hold (25.1 KB)
Downloaded 99 times.
OK, I am an idiot. You've given me too much credit for the entrance to level 3! I simply forgot to reopen the appropriate doors once you're back in the centre section. :blush
So that's corrected in my latest update. (Still need to alter 3 1W, since it was meant to be slightly different, but clearly isn't. )
But, to save you the hassle of doing those 3 levels again, here's a version that starts on level 4. (Labyrinthitis end).
Thanks again for the comments, hopefully level 3 is fixed. Can you find the remaining secret(s)?

12-01-2004 at 08:58 PM
Tim
Jacob,

I've actually just completed the levels 3 and 4 in the original hold (Just please don't ask me to do it again ;)).

Level 4 has really challenging rooms. Not a lot though, but that is for a resolution level not really important. It is meant to be an intense short level anyway, isn't it? There are no secret rooms in level 4 though.

I will not give away the ending... (I can only tell you I don't understand some of the jokes though. But we can discuss them in a PM.)

However, you do have an rather common (and famous) problem. It's called the last level exit bug. The last exit leads to the beginning of the last level instead of an ending.

I've already written a short text about what you should do in another post (you might want to read the whole thread to see other solutions) : http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3301&page=0#41484

If you need more help, just ask.

-- Tim

By the way, if this is your first hold, then I can only say that it is really well done. And now, I should go and make an hold for the competition though. ;)

12-02-2004 at 09:33 PM
Jacob
You got to level 4 with the original version? I am surprised!
Hmm, ending bug is annoying, I'm sure it all worked fine when I play-tested it. Will try to fix that.
I can PM you (or anyone else with this problem) the ending text if you want.
Tim: When you say you found no secrets on level 4, are you telling me you
or didn't you consider that a secret? Of course
That was my first ever hold, btw, my next is going to be a contest entry, but judging by the mistakes I made so far, it ain't gonna do so well.
Thanks again
Once the stairs are sorted, am I allowed to put my hold in the holds forum?

12-02-2004 at 10:23 PM
Tim
I meant the exit in the room with the 9 things and the snake. I haven't tested the exit in the first room of level 4 yet. (Forgot ;) I am really thick you know :))

[ By the way, it's not up to me whether you can upload it to the holds section. I think you are good enough to know when to do it. There is one thing, you can't add or remove rooms after you upload it. If you still want to change exitsing rooms, that is not a problem. ]

[ By original version I mean the latest one that start from level 1. (not the one that start from level 4)]

[ It does not matter if your hold won't do well in the compo. I don't believe that though. Remember, it's about fun, and making more holds is the best way to improve hold making. ]

-- Tim

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 10:53 PM]

12-02-2004 at 10:44 PM
Stefan
There's still some bugs on the first level:

The Entrance: You can still do it with only two mimics. (Not a very serious bug, because it is non-trivial)

2N: You can kill the serpent before even stepping on the scroll.

I haven't played levels 3 and 4 yet (I've been kind of busy), and these bugs might have been fixed in the latest version, but I thought I'd tell you anyway.

12-02-2004 at 11:24 PM
Stefan
Ok, levels 3 and 4 completed.

Level 3 was rather enjoyable, and there doesn't seem to be any bugs in it, although I'm not sure I did 1E the way you had intended.

Level 4, on the other hand, had a few bugs (or actually just one bug, but it spans several rooms). It is impossible to exit the level the 'normal' way (you NEED to find the
), because the closed doors in 3N and 3N1E are preventing you from backtracking to the entrance from 3N2E.

And then there's the stairs-bug... (at least on level 5)

12-03-2004 at 01:38 AM
Jacob
Had fixed the aforementioned problems and improved the hold slightly,
ready for re-releasing it, when suddenly all my scrolls got wiped. So will take a little longer...grrr

12-13-2004 at 02:59 PM
Jacob
See new post at top

02-14-2005 at 06:36 PM
Atch
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 81
I played through Labyrinthitis the other day and think that it is now ready for the Hold's Forum except for one problem - the stairs bug operates (on finishing you return to the final level again, Secret Treasure Room) both here and on finishing your 9 Rooms (Unfortunate Architect) extra.

That apart I found it an excellent hold of moderate difficulty and would rate it 8 out of 10.
02-24-2005 at 11:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: Labyrinthitis Level 3, The entrance (0)  
Please help me with Level 3 , entrance. How can I clear the serpents without getting closed the labyrint. Can I see a demo or a very good hint. I really cant´t see the idea, and I have been killed 1000 times the last 3 days.
02-27-2005 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Don't have a copy of drod with me at the moment, but:
there's 3 serpents in the first part.

Although someone found a way to do this with fewer mimics, which I've not been able to work out.
As for the last snake

Incidentally, this hold is now up in the holds section, hopefully without the end stairs bug.

02-28-2005 at 04:37 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Labyrinthitis (Expanded - New and Improved)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com