Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : AE vs. KDD2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krnowak
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon AE vs. KDD2 (+1)  
Hi,

having finished DROD:AE I started wondering if buying DROD:KDD has any sense. I mean - both have the same holds, right? Only the former has voice acting, better graphics and such candy. So I thought about getting DROD:JtRH next. Or am I wrong and DROD:KDD's hold is somehow extended, so buying it anyway is worth, hm?

The funny thing is that I probably finished this game twice (I can't recall when I did it for the first time and completely forgot about it), because last room in last level, 'Neather whining and then the outro looked very familiar for me, sort of déjà vu.

So I could replay it for the third time if there would be some new stuff (new monsters? additional level?)

I would be grateful for clarification.
09-21-2010 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: AE vs. KDD2 (+1)  
You could - there are also secret rooms in KDD 2, so there will be some novelty.

But given that there are two more full DROD games (JtRH and TCB), several smitemasters selections and about 400 user-made levels, your time might be better spent.

09-21-2010 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MHighbrow
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 153
You're probably best off playing Journey to Rooted Hold first before you get KDD 2.0 (if you are going to get it). There are a couple of references to JtRH in it and a new game element in a couple of the secret rooms, so you might appreciate it a little more if you've already played JtRH.

Basically, outside of secrets and a little extra dialogue from Beethro, you aren't going to miss much. You get an extra Smitemaster's Selection called The Choice but I can't say much about it because I can't get past the first puzzle. -_-
09-21-2010 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
The choice is a fantastic hold (and is included with KDD as an SMS, meaning they are significantly cheaper than JtRH), but JtRH is huge, fantastic and continues the story.

I'd say go with JtRH.

09-23-2010 at 04:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Hammerite
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: AE vs. KDD2 (0)  
Play JTRH. Come back to KDD at a later time when you feel like playing through it again.
09-29-2010 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
I have a question regarding the opposite of what krnowak wants. I've already beaten KDD before. But I was wondering what might be different if I tried AE. If I remember correctly, the ending was different, and I think people said it was much better. So yeah, what's different in AE?
10-02-2010 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1546
It looks completely different -- everything is smaller. Music is different. Screenshot 1 and Screenshot 2.

It's missing several features that you're probably well used to by now and will miss lots: undo, orb clicking, and the battle key (+).

It's easy enough to download and try out, but you'd have to be pretty dedicated to get all the way through it.
10-02-2010 at 11:52 AM
vinheim
Ok, I knew all of that, but I appreciate the help. I'm mostly looking for additional features and if the ending is different.
10-02-2010 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5088
Yes, the ending to KDD in DROD:AE is different and awesome...but it in many ways mirrors the mastery level of KDD2. They're both cool in different ways, but I'm ambivalent about which I like more.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-20-2010 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Cool. I've actually started playing AE yesterday. The lack of an undo function is going to make this game harder to beat. But in a way, I like the graphics and music better.
10-20-2010 at 10:53 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: AE vs. KDD2 (+3)  
Just be glad you have checkpoints, young whippersnapper. Why, back in my day we would do the three tar mothers room without checkpoints and like it. Love it, even! Nobody complained about how we don't have unlimited undo or fancy shmancy rayguns. Ah, the good old days when the goblins were greener, the roaches were meaner, and smitemasters were real smitemasters... you younguns have it all easy! Mumble grumble...

10-21-2010 at 10:56 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
You can actually use the undo function in the original hold by downloading the .hold file here and importing it into JtRH or TCB (or their demos). You won't be able to see the ending, but it's far less frustrating.

10-21-2010 at 03:46 PM
vinheim
Nah, I'm in it for the ending, but damn, couldn't imagine playing this without checkpoints. All the times it has saved me..
10-21-2010 at 04:03 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1322
Actually, I've never used the battle key. Except checking it out when it was released.
10-28-2010 at 06:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : AE vs. KDD2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com