Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New features for old puzzle widgets
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: New features for old puzzle widgets (+1)  
Ortho squares + arrows :)

monsters

W.WW
WVOW
W.WW

Beethro

(V = south arrow)

Doesn't work with golems or wubbas or red serpents, and Beethro needs to be kept south of the arrow.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-15-2006 03:02 AM]
01-15-2006 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Here's a simple, no-monster solution that doesn't take up much space (brought to you by Text DROD, the latest in dot matrix technology.)

BBBB------+
B        Q|
B BB------+
B B
| |
| |
| |

The B's are bombs, the Q is a roach queen (spewing forth roaches) and a brain is somewhere off in the distance. The lines are walls. If Beethro is on the South end of this setup, he cannot pass through the bombs safely.

01-15-2006 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: New features for old puzzle widgets (0)  
Wow! Roach Queens aren't monsters after all! :lol

Here's one to chew on:

WWWWWW
W   G
W WWWW
W WWWW

G is golem. Beethro cannot pass through without luring the golem out via a different route. You should know this already.

01-15-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
coppro wrote:
Wow! Roach Queens aren't monsters after all! :lol
You're going down, coppro.:glasses

I had said "non-monster" meaning implying that unpassable eye combinations were out. Well... you know what I mean!

01-15-2006 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Well, when I saw Swivel's trick, I suddenly reminded about my hold.
Two days ago I made a room, where you must close all doors, and only if all doors ale closed you can go on, But I wanted to do it only by closed doors (The classic way of doing this is impossible). Also, I wanted do to it without monsters, but also, when the player comes in, and all doors are not closed, he must die . And I did it this way:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XX::BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBX
XX:XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXBX
>.. B B B B B BBBDBX
XX:X X X X X X XBXBX
XX:XDXDXDXDXDXD BDBX
XX::BBBBBBBBBBXX XBX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXBD BDBX
B-Bomb      XBXX XBX
X-Wall      XBD BDBX
D-Door      XBXX XBX
>-E Frc Arr XBD BDBX
.-Fuse Flr  XBXX XBX
:-Fuse Wall XBD BDBX
 -Empty     XBXX XBX
            XXXX XXX

And now I'm wondering if there is a better way of doing this.

01-15-2006 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Er, skell. Could you pretty pretty please post a hold? Despite the miracles of Text DROD (c), 'twould be great if you could post a hold. The whole of JtRH could be represented in Text DROD (sans scripting), but what fun would that be?

01-16-2006 at 09:18 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
The gist of skell's widget is that it closes doors to protect Beethro from inevitable explosions. I'm sure that it can be done in several similar ways, with the only key elements being the fuse end in a spot that must be stepped on and doors that prevent further explosions in the inner chamber. A nifty device, if I do say so myself.

01-16-2006 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: New features for old puzzle widgets (+2)  
Tunnel = poor man's force arrow.

WWWW
..T.
WWWW
(with no other tunnels in the same row)

Or a "force arrow" that monsters cannot cross.
01-21-2006 at 01:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
A difference - this will let you on from the opposite direction, and you can thus kill monsters on the other side of it, even if you can't get to where they are. They also can't go diagonally. But still, it's a good idea :)

01-21-2006 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
Two simple configurations with bombs that might be of use to some people:

A passage that only monsters can go through (just a variation of an already posted widget):
BBBB
   BBB
BBB
  BBBB

A passage that forces Beethro to turn his sword in a certain direction:
   BBBB
  BB  BBB
BBB B
     BBBB
BBBBBB

Beethro can only pass through this if he comes into the corridor facing west.

01-22-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
For a force arrow that cannot be gone through one way until it's gone through the other way, try a vulnerable guard NPC. You could use orbs, or course, but orbs cost money (cough, cough).

[Last edited by Swivel at 01-25-2006 03:16 PM]
01-25-2006 at 03:16 PM
Rabscuttle
icon Re: New features for old puzzle widgets (+3)  
Two steps forward, one step back
(as seen in my January contest entry)

This widget doesn't allow Beethro to take more than one step north in a row.

Place roach-likes (although probably not spiders) in the order shown.

*23*  B
*.1*
*..*

If Beethro moves north (once he's gone south of course), then the roaches will form a line, so at the bottom you need to make sure that they are not in a line - you can either use doors (like in my contest entry) or bombs.

You can also achieve the same effect with a mimic.

*^* arrow
*.*
*M* mimic
*D* door (any)
*O* orb/brain/EE/etc

Both can easily be extended to allow more consecutive steps north by adding more roaches/extending the mimic column.

They can also be rotated east/west, the mimic version in the obvious way and the roach version so;

B

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 02-11-2006 02:20 AM]
02-11-2006 at 12:17 AM
Swivel
There is a nice solution if you want tar to grow for a certain number of turns, or if you want the player to keep a tar mother alive. Here it is:
+-+
+O+--+
|v##v|
|v##v|
|v##v|
|v##v|
|v##v|
|    |

This may be a little hard to see. Here's a key:
O   an orb
|   vertically running wall
-   horizontal running wall
+   meeting of horizontal and vertical walls
#   tar
v   down arrow

A tar mother should be somewhere off to the side, either in an accessible or inaccessible area. And obviously the orb should do something imperative.

How does this work? Well, the tar will spawn, and the player can then cut it. By doing this Beethro can located himself on an arrow North of where he just cut it. The tar must spawn again for a cuttable square of tar (side) to again become reachable. After spawning and cutting, Beethro can then go Northward until he reaches the orb. It's possible for the arrows to only be one one side, or alternating between sides.

03-19-2006 at 10:38 PM
Rabscuttle
Just been looking at some ancient threads about invis potions which gave me an idea:

Forced placement decoy (or pre-placed decoy with TCB)
+
tar/mud mother
=
tar/mud that always expands even if Beethro is invisible.

edit: I was looking at another of my posts in this thread and I had no idea what the heck I was talking about, so I'm going to be more explicit.

* When Beethro enters the room, force him to place a decoy in smell range of a mother (by needing to hit an orb, or kill a monster, etc)
* Now the tar or mud will always expand, even if Beethro drinks an invisibility potion.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-01-2006 03:26 AM]
03-24-2006 at 06:13 AM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
I actually have that arrangement here: Krishh's Castle. : Entering : 2 North. Although I used it for a bit different purposes. (To turn on the mother while keeping Beethro invisible)
03-24-2006 at 09:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle

File: Slayer Loop.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
Bah, who needs characters?

I first did regular orb hitting in Indecisive Poppy, but you can also do the same thing with the Slayer. Using the Slayer makes a more sturdy pattern - once he's started it doesn't matter if he can no longer reach you, he won't turn his sword unless you get close (and once you move away he'll get back in his groove), and you don't need to kill him to complete the room.

The only downside is that the wisp first needs to reach you before he starts - if we could pre-place wisp it would remove this requirement, and allow the Slayer's area to be completely separate.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-03-2006 04:16 AM]
04-01-2006 at 02:55 AM
coppro
75% efficient vincible stationary roach generator:

O..
>Q.
O^O

Queen is on an arrow pointing at the orthosqare. Best of all, every roach can get all the way around the setup from any spawn square.

[Last edited by coppro at 04-01-2006 03:35 AM]
04-01-2006 at 03:23 AM
Rabscuttle
Add ortho squares on the NW and SE corners ;)
04-01-2006 at 03:31 AM
coppro
Oh right, sorry. It still works though.
04-01-2006 at 03:35 AM
Swivel

File: bombexample.PNG (15.2 KB)
Downloaded 331 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: New features for old puzzle widgets (+2)  
Here's a widget that I came across about a week ago. Since then I've used it three times: a relatively high magnitude, considering that I don't like to use specific widgets too much.

I'm kind of tired of using text DROD, so I've included an altered screenshot from AE. (I've spent a total of 5 minutes of my life in the Architect's Edition editor; make that 10.)

Here it is:
Click here to view the secret text

In the above screenshot, the grey round thing is a bomb. You'll just have to trust me on this one. Once you place the mimic (easily substitutable with a decoy) on the square with the checkpoint, simply have have the mimic explode himself. In the above example, the orb closes the door with the mimic potion on it and opens the door with the roach queen. In the second example, the orb closes the door with the mimic potion on it and releases the goblin by dropping what appears to be a black door. It's really fun to spin around in the goblin example.

What made me think of this widget is master doors. Master doors have many puzzle possibilities as doors that Beethro, but not monsters, can step on. Nonetheless, to use master doors as a puzzle element is a little contrary to the purpose of a hold. In addition, you can't playtest using master doors.

[Last edited by Swivel at 04-02-2006 12:44 AM]
04-02-2006 at 12:43 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
This is probably not a widget, but this is an example code I've used for the story rooms in Tunnel Vision.

I used two different invisible characters, one for each pass.
There is also a blue door in every room.
When you enter the final stairs, the blue doors will drop.

Code for First Pass Character

Code for Second Pass Character

For more examples, I suggest you to master the hold, as it is set to Master Edit. ;)

-- Tim

04-03-2006 at 10:28 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New features for old puzzle widgets
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com