Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Sunken Pyramid (Scripted puzzles with a story)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.2/10 (28 votes)
σ 1.26
Author Name:RuAdam
Submitted By:RuAdam
Hold Name:The Sunken Pyramid
Theme:Scripted puzzles with a story
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:16
Number of Monsters:341
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:11 (+11 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Sunken Pyramid.hold (164.4 KB)
Downloaded 2107 times.
License: Other
icon The Sunken Pyramid  
This is my first hold. It contains not too DROD related scripted puzzles. And it has a story to it.
03-01-2007 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: The Sunken Pyramid (+1)  
This is another great "Let's translate traditional puzzles into Scripting!" hold. THE best actually.

9 with 6 brains.
03-01-2007 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
From a beta tester - Very great scripting hold! Don't miss out on this!

I gave it a 9 and 6.5 brains!

Keep making holds, RuAdam! :D
03-01-2007 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
This is an extremely, extremely awesome hold.

There's Minotaur mazes, arrow mazes, no right turn mazes, and even a simulation of Grow in here! You don't want to miss it!

EDIT:

And, mastered!

Before anyone drives themselves crazy, please note that First Floor: Once North, Once West is impossible. This is intentional.

[Last edited by Chaco at 03-01-2007 11:33 PM]
03-01-2007 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
piderman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
This is a very nice hold, though the 2nd floor is maybe a little frustrating ;)

I haven't mastered it yet, still at the wubbas and we all love the wubba's right? :P

9 points, 7 brains, and a :thumbsup
03-02-2007 at 12:04 AM
Dolan42
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 195
icon Re: The Sunken Pyramid (0)  
Excellent hold, I give it a 9 with 7 brains, I was only going to give it 6 brains until I saw the third floor
Click here to view the secret text
Anyway, the scripting for the wubbas in the desert was a little confusing, but nothing that walking around randomly for a while didn't fix. I can't wait for your next hold.
Edit: Oh, and the room after the master wall was really fun :)

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 03-02-2007 05:20 AM]
03-02-2007 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Chaco wrote:
Before anyone drives themselves crazy, please note that First Floor: Once North, Once West is impossible. This is intentional.
Yeah er uh in fact nothing was driving me crazy until you told me that there's a First Floor: 1N1W. Now I'm going crazy trying to find it.
03-03-2007 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I'm giving this hold a 10.
I don't do this often. The last one I gave a 10 to was Perfection.
7 1/2 brains, and a 10.
Brilliant scripting. I look forward to what you can do with 3.0.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 03-03-2007 08:04 PM]
03-03-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
This is a good hold. A 9 overall (included a +1 for first timers), and 4 for difficulty.

The puzzles, I've seen most of these before, so I don't think they're hard at all. The scripting is really interesting. I think I've explained that enough during the many sessions we had in HA...

I'm not playing this hold again. Not because it's not fun (it is), but because I've replayed it during HA so many times. O:-

-- Tim

PS. Before I forget, go to http://www.logicmazes.com/ for more of Robert Abbott's puzzles.

03-03-2007 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
iamyum
Rank Points: 64
I've spent the lsat hour trying to beat tic tac toe and finally concluded that there wasn't any scripting error (that I can find). Twas a lot of fun too!
03-03-2007 at 08:31 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, that was a lot of fun to test. I won against it once as well! Didn't do anything though, it just played it's next move and said it won. :D
03-03-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Have to say, I gave this a 10, which I don't usually do. The puzzles were well-constructed; even if not all original, the care and effort that went into them was clear. (And: minotaur maze! Sheesh! I'd been thinking about that recently, idly wondering if it could be done, and this implementation was far more elegant than anything I'd thought of.)

Plus, the story is quite engaging. Really well done!
03-04-2007 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RuAdam
Rank Points: 157
Thank you for all the comments. I'm glad that you liked it. I'll start working on the sequel as soon as I have time for it.
03-04-2007 at 08:25 AM
Danteslives
Rank Points: 48
That was really awesome as I am an enthusiast of mazes and was glad to see some of my all time favorites included in this hold. I really wanted to win at tic tac toe though... I hate zero sum games. :angry Anyways, great hold! Thank you!
10-03-2007 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
Something seems to be wrong with the scripting in level 3.

After going down to level 1 and starting back up:

put a wubba in the far right column, then go to the next column to the left and put wubbas in until the game breaks (it takes seven or eight wubbas).

I have done this in both JTRH and TCB (demo).

This doesn't stop anyone from conquering the hold. I think it would not stop anyone from mastering the hold.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
08-19-2008 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
da rogu3
Rank Points: 491
This is a rather enjoyable hold. Despite the puzzles not being so unique, it was interesting to see them all ported to the drod engine. Some very clever scripting was used. I especially liked The 5th Floor, it was a blast working through the maze. I also spent quite a bit of time on the 2nd Floor, it was interesting to look at all the different combinations (although a little trial and error to get the solution).

Overall, a very nice hold, well worth the effort. Good job :) ..now onto Under the Mountains :P

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 04-14-2011 05:26 PM]
04-14-2011 at 05:24 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: The Sunken Pyramid (+2)  
This is a brilliant hold - not the first "puzzles scripted into Drod" hold but definitely the best. It's only short, but is wrapped in a good story and I also like the attention to detail - the fact that each of the rooms is slightly bigger as you work your way down the pyramid.

I can't really pick any faults with this - I didn't really get the grow puzzle (although I've not come across it before) and I wasn't keen on the vending machine puzzle either, but other than that it was great.

Fantastic for a first hold, looking forward to playing more.

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 9

Progress - Gavin G
05-23-2014 at 09:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: The Sunken Pyramid (+3)  
This hold isn't really DROD, but it was way more interesting than I thought it would be. A good example of early DROD scripting.

12-13-2022 at 07:36 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Sunken Pyramid (Scripted puzzles with a story) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com