Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A request for help ((with character movement - and speech!!))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged

File: Castle Steele.hold (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
icon A request for help (0)  
I have started another hold. Hoping that I am not being too ambitious this time, but I would like to make a bigger hold than the 3 little ones I've done so far. My plan is to use a fair number of the rooms that I made for the December 'Beauty over Brains' contest in a setting in which the puzzle elements will not be condemned and the rooms will be connected by a bit of a story. I may also re-use a room or two from the 'Maze of Mellenfral' hold.

Firstly, is it considered acceptable to re-use rooms in a different hold? I don't want to breach etiquette.

Secondly, I'm having problems with the movement of a character. The attached file has the first couple of rooms and I have left it 'anyone edit' hoping that you will be able to see the commands I have written. What I want is for the secretary to move a little towards Beethro during the conversation and then lead Beethro out of the room, but he is getting stuck. Can some kind soul point out where I'm going wrong?

Elfstone.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 01-21-2007 07:02 PM]
01-12-2007 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: A request for help (+1)  
Try giving him a more explicit route - I think the problem is that he can't pathfind round the black door. Try adding a few more squares for move-to commands. (In fact just adding 17,19 should work...)

And I wouldn't worry about using rooms from other holds unless they are those published on the holds board, in which case it becomes a bit of an annoyance for highscores. However it's your hold, your rooms so it's up to you really.

"Oook!"
01-12-2007 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
icon Re: A request for help (0)  
Thanks krammer! I'll have another go at this.

Oh, and I had already decided not to use any rooms from 'Seasons' which is the only Hold I have on the Holds boards; the other two have only appeared on the Contests board, so I assume Highscore don't apply?

Elf.

01-12-2007 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: Castle Steele.hold (6.4 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
Well I did that and certainly the secretarty moves very smoothly now, without getting stuck.

Unfortunately, he moves straight out of the room and has vanished before the conversation is half finished. I assumed that each command would be carried out in the order on the list, but he just keeps on moving. How do I get him to stop in front of the chair/throne and speak from there until the conversation is finished?

Elf.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 01-12-2007 03:39 PM : (added new file)]
01-12-2007 at 03:38 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: A request for help (+2)  
Ah, this is a problem for everyone.

As DROD is a turn-based game, character scripts follow commands, one per turn - except for speech, which runs in real-time (as it has to). As such as soon as the speech is displayed DROD skips straight to the next command (because it can't tell when speech has "finished"). There are various workarounds though.

Add some "wait x turns" commands so that the player has to move or press 5 so many times before the next command is executed. Alternatively (or additionally) put in a "wait for player" so he won't move until Beethro reaches a certain point.

"Oook!"
01-12-2007 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
:thumbsup

01-12-2007 at 04:56 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Also, you can use Flush Speech Off as the NPC leaves the room so the speech disappears for people who just want to skip past your speech. It's cleaner that way.

01-12-2007 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
For my hold I just had a guy telling you to remain motionless until the dialogue finishes.

01-13-2007 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
I'm still most impressed with the solution in JtRH. When Beethro moves too far away from the character, cut out the remainder of the conversation (with that "Flush speech No" command) and start up the "this conversation is over"-type ending. The big catch here is that the ending needs to make sense whether the entire conversation was played or Beethro walked away immediately.
01-13-2007 at 01:39 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
There are many, many tricks you can do.

Some examples from my Tunnel Vision hold (and if you haven't played it, you should. I've put many dialogue tricks in there):

* Write in newspaper style. Make the first part important and the rest only an explanation of the first. This way, a player does not really need to hear except the first few sentences.

* Write shorter sentences. The game will wait shorter to display the next sentence if they are shorter. Besides, I don't want to read long texts.

* Make Beethro take longer to finish the room, don't let Beethro have a straight path from start to exit so that he can leave the room early. Also, let him do lots of interesting things there while listening. I don't like to walk entire boring spirals just to hear one sentence.

* Divide the room into multiple parts, and let the speech continue after Beethro reach that part.

* Don't move your character. :)

-- Tim

01-13-2007 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks to Chaco, Tombot, schep and Tim! :thumbsup
This is a bit more complicated than I thought, but I really want it to tell a bit of a story in this hold. I'll have a go at your suggestions.

Elf.

01-13-2007 at 02:49 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
In my limited hold-building experience, I've come to decide that in the end getting dialogue/story right just requires a little bit of indulgence on the part of the player. I mean, the player always has the option of hitting the space bar (or whatever she has "flush text" mapped to) to skip all your well-crafted speech. So while there're some tricks to use--the ones mentioned here are good--in order to time the speech correctly, there'll always, I think, be some dependence on the player to stand still long enough to hear the speech.
01-15-2007 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
I like the three rooms you have made until now. Just go on.
01-16-2007 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks also to Tahnan and selotte.

Tahnan - I think you're right and I will have to 'chop up' my text into smaller bits otherwise players will just miss much of it. :(

selotte - I'm pleased! have you played my hold "Seasons", the one that's on the Holds board? If you like these 3 rooms you would possibly enjoy Seasons too.

01-16-2007 at 04:48 PM
Tombot
Howabout some orbs that has to be hit in a certain order to open a door and that only the person speaking can give you the correct order, thus forcing whomever to listen to the whole dialogue.

[Last edited by Tombot at 01-16-2007 06:08 PM]
01-16-2007 at 06:08 PM
Chaco
You'd have to be using scripting instead of regular door associations to do that, otherwise again the player could solve the orb puzzle while the person is talking.

But yeah, that's a great idea. Have a mod.

01-16-2007 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
My strategy that I've developed but not actually implemented is to give the player cues allowing him to play through cutscenes, or to leave the cutscene path, thus flushing speech and ending the speech bubbles.
01-16-2007 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Tombot wrote:
Howabout some orbs that has to be hit in a certain order to open a door and that only the person speaking can give you the correct order, thus forcing whomever to listen to the whole dialogue.

While that solution works in the technical field, I'm not overly fond of the scheme, personally. Some players will want to skip past the dialogue, some way or another; why would you want to prevent them from doing that? I know I've cursed enough times at those games with unskippable cutscenes. You may want to skip past the story bits when replaying a room (or the whole hold), or simply because "story-telling" implies "the game isn't Drod" in your logical world.

Coppro's solution seems to be much better in this regard: people who want the story will just do so, and the others won't have to jump through hoops just to get on with the actual gameplay activities. That sounds like the best of all worlds to me.
01-16-2007 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tombot
It depends on how important the information is, players might need to know somthing to actualy finish the hold.

It probably is not the solution to everything, but it is worth mention.

01-16-2007 at 10:42 PM
selotte
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
I have now played Seasons. really good, I like it very must. :thumbsup
01-17-2007 at 02:58 PM
Elfstone
selotte wrote:
I have now played Seasons. really good, I like it very must. :thumbsup

:blush Thank you! :blush

01-17-2007 at 05:00 PM
Elfstone
A follow-on question: can anyone tell me how to make Beethro speak in the entrance room? If I click on him all I get is a "describe entrance" box.

01-21-2007 at 07:05 PM
Chaco
You need to make an invisible NPC, then use the speech command and select Beethro as the speaker.

01-21-2007 at 07:52 PM
Elfstone
Chaco wrote:
You need to make an invisible NPC, then use the speech command and select Beethro as the speaker.

Aha!! now that I wouldn't have thought of.

Thanks Chaco! :thumbsup

01-21-2007 at 11:29 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
good elf

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-01-2007 at 03:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : A request for help ((with character movement - and speech!!))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com