Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Backspace on Macs. (Somebody told me there isn't one.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Backspace on Macs. (0)  
Do Mac keyboards have a backspace key? And when you play DROD without reconfiguring the keys, are you able to hit this key to undo? Somebody e-mailed me and said they didn't have a backspace key. Maybe this is just on laptops or something?

-Erik

07-06-2006 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Backspace on Macs. (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Do Mac keyboards have a backspace key? And when you play DROD without reconfiguring the keys, are you able to hit this key to undo? Somebody e-mailed me and said they didn't have a backspace key. Maybe this is just on laptops or something?

-Erik

Erik, I have a backspace key (just above the 'return' key) on all 3 Macs; that's a 6 year old G4 400, a 3 year old iBook with 10.2 and a 7month old iMac with Tiger.

It is sometimes called the delete key - could that be causing the confusion?

Elf.

Edit - sorry I didn't answer your other question: yes, I use it to undo.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 07-06-2006 08:55 PM]
07-06-2006 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Most do, although it's labeled delete. I can't speak for all of them though, nor can I speak as to whether the keybinding is the same for DROD. Might be a detail to add to your MAC version, though.

07-06-2006 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Backspace, delete, it's all the same thing as long as its in the same location. But yeah, I use the delete key and it works fine for Undo.

07-06-2006 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Backspace on Macs. (0)  
My guy says he has just a delete key, but pressing it doesn't make "undo" happen. I suggested he redefine the key in settings. I guess everybody else can use it for undo, though. Maybe he was wrong and it really did undo. >>shrug<<

-Erik

07-06-2006 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Backspace on Macs. (+2)  
Backspace on Macs. (Somebody told me there isn't one.)
Stuffy guy in a suit: "Hi, I'm a PC. I have a backspace key that's easy to use whenever I make any of my frequent mistakes."

Cool younger guy in a t-shirt: "I'm a Mac. I don't even HAVE a backspace key. I'm too smart ever make any mistakes."

Yeah... Mac users like to think they never make mistakes.;)

07-07-2006 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
On a MAC-related note:

"Macs are great. I used to have a PC, but it was all like who-oa-oa-oa. Then I got a Mac. Thing is, Macs are really great because with a PC, you go to the game store, and you can't pick from any of the thousands of games. With a Mac, you don't have that problem, because there are only six. And you know which ones are good, because you've played them all already. And Macs have really great games. Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Breakout, Super Breakout, Photoshop.. So you see, Macs are great. Take it from a gamer. Or at least, I used to be one."

And once again, DROD doesn't care about what OS you're using. :thumbsup
07-07-2006 at 12:43 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I use macs and it works great for me!

07-07-2006 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
I use a PowerBook, and when I was doing my first bit of hold-building about two days ago, I actually found myself in a brief moment of confusion when I was trying to figure out how to delete a room from a hold when my 'delete' key wasn't doing the trick.

The thing is, on a Mac keyboard, there's two keys, one labelled 'delete' that is the equivalent of a PC keyboard's 'backspace', and one labelled either 'del' or also-'delete' on newer models than the one I've got from my last system that also has a little symbol of what looks kinda like a shaved right-pointing arrow with an X inside it, and functions as a PC keyboard's 'delete' does. Both of these are in the same positions on the Mac keyboard as their equivalents on the PC keyboard.

In DROD, you have to use the 'delete' key to undo moves, as on a PC backspace, and either the 'del' or on a laptop (or at least the one I use), the combination of the 'fn' (Function) and 'delete' keys to delete rooms.

Also, on an interesting note that I picked up from playing DROD for a year or two in Virtual PC due to 1.x versions not being platform-independent... There is no way on a standard Mac keyboard to emulate the Windows keys or the funky one with the menu icon on it. Virtual PC maps Ctrl to Ctrl, Option to Alt, and brings up your Mac menus on the Command/Apple key. So don't ever use those keys for something platform-independent ;)

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-07-2006 12:46 PM]
07-07-2006 at 12:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Erm... Just perused the thread, so sorry if this was raised before. I was forced to use a Mac powerbook (or whatever) for a week, as my laptop was nicked.

Anyhows, it didn't have a backspace key (only a delete). My pro-Mac boss told me that Fn + Delete performed a backspace. He was obviously right. It does.

[EDIT]

Yup, the post above covered this. Let this post be a succinct version then :)

[Last edited by Syntax at 07-07-2006 02:17 PM]
07-07-2006 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Syntax wrote:
Anyhows, it didn't have a backspace key (only a delete). My pro-Mac boss told me that Fn + Delete performed a backspace. He was obviously right. It does.

Ack! If that's the case, I didn't know about it... But it's a good point. There's a setting on PowerBooks that determines whether a key will behave normally or PowerBook-ly without the Fn key pressed. I didn't *think* that the Delete key was included in that, but if it is, then hey now I know.

In either case, us PowerBook users have special needs when it comes to DROD and the delete key ;)

07-07-2006 at 02:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Well Im glad I could somehow give something back to the Mac community after 4 days of use ;)

I laughed when I couldn't find the # key, only to be told "they don't print it on the keyboard for some reason, but it's Alt + 3"

Still chuckling about that.
07-07-2006 at 02:40 PM
Hikari
:blinkblink:

:looks at PowerBook keyboard:

:looks at other keyboard:

Um... Shift-3, and it's printed on both of *my* keyboards...

Weeeeeird.

EDIT: :smacks smileys upside their heads:

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-07-2006 02:44 PM]
07-07-2006 at 02:43 PM
Syntax
Well, not on mine lol
07-07-2006 at 02:47 PM
Jason
It's right above the 3! shift 3 does it! :lol

07-07-2006 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Jason wrote:
It's right above the 3! shift 3 does it! :lol
Ok, seriously. It's not printed on mine, and shift 3 doesn't produce it. It has to be Alt + 3. As we're discussing obscure keyboard sequences I thought I'd mention this one... as it is... well... obscure.
07-07-2006 at 03:35 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ah - so it's US standard for shift-3 to be hash? I never thought there was a difference between UK and US keyboards, but here shift-3 is the pound sign, and hash is next to return on the middle row...

"Oook!"
07-07-2006 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5106
krammer wrote:
Ah - so it's US standard for shift-3 to be hash? I never thought there was a difference between UK and US keyboards, but here shift-3 is the pound sign, and hash is next to return on the middle row...
Woah...when you say pound sign, do you mean as in British money? If not, what do the pound sign and hash look like in the UK? In America, hash and pound sign mean equivalent things and look the same (afaik).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-07-2006 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
I beleive he would mean that funny little f. And isn't the Euro symbol printed on the newest keyboards above the 4? That's where our littl $ goes over here.
07-07-2006 at 06:13 PM
Hikari
I'd always heard # referred to as a pound sign and thought hash was something you did with potatoes... o_o

07-07-2006 at 08:21 PM
Elfstone
@ = shift 2 € = alt 2

£ = shift 3 # = alt 3

$ = shift 4 ¢ = alt 4

I hope that helps to clarify. (That's on a Scottish {UK} keyboard.)

Elfstone.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 07-07-2006 09:43 PM : better layout]
07-07-2006 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Hmm... And on a US keyboard...

@=Shift-2 ™=Alt-2
#=Shift-3 £=Alt-3
$=Shift-4 ¢=Alt-4

Yay! Keyboard difference comparisons!

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-07-2006 10:14 PM]
07-07-2006 at 10:14 PM
coppro
And on my built-in laptop keyboard:

shift:
1=!
2=@
3=#
4=$
5=%
6=^
7=&
8=*
9=(
0=)

alt:
1=
2=
3=
4=
5=
6=
7=
8=
9=
0=

07-07-2006 at 10:25 PM
Hikari
Safe to assume you're using a Windows laptop with its ASCII standard characterset instead of a Mac laptop with its Unicode? ;)

! @ # $ % ^ & * ( )
¡ ™ £ ¢ ? § ¶ • ª º

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-07-2006 11:21 PM]
07-07-2006 at 11:20 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Ah, I did actually know the Americans called # a pound sign - not that I can think why... but yes, I meant £.
The other UK/US difference seems to be that shift-apostrophe gives @, and shift-2 gives ". Hmmm. Can't understand why they made that different, really.

"Oook!"
07-08-2006 at 10:14 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
"Macs are great. I used to have a PC, but it was all like who-oa-oa-oa. Then I got a Mac. Thing is, Macs are really great because with a PC, you go to the game store, and you can't pick from any of the thousands of games. With a Mac, you don't have that problem, because there are only six. And you know which ones are good, because you've played them all already. And Macs have really great games. Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft, Breakout, Super Breakout, Photoshop.. So you see, Macs are great. Take it from a gamer. Or at least, I used to be one."

That's from Rooster Teeth, isn't it?

And once again, DROD doesn't care about what OS you're using. :thumbsup

Oh no, Caravel is quite deliberately giving OS/2 users the shaft.

07-08-2006 at 11:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Mattcrampy wrote:
Oh no, Caravel is quite deliberately giving OS/2 users the shaft.
Ah, but OS/2, errr, I mean eComStation is only used in banking anymore, and nobody would want people there to play games, right? :D

Right?

07-08-2006 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Because I'm curious .. You people who say you get alternate symbols with Alt, do you actually get those with the regular Alt, or Alt Gr ? (I get nothing with Alt, and have to use Alt Gr in stead).

While I'm posting I might as well type out the first row on a norwegian keyboard (PC) ..
       |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  0  +  \ backspace
Shift  §  !  "  #  ¤  %  &  /  (  )  =  ?  `
AltGr  ¦  ¡  @  £  $  ½  ¥  {  [  ]  }  ±  '

(AltGr-1, 5, 6 and + are Linux extensions (I think), and ` and ' are composite .. AltGr-\ e produces é, etc). The euro symbol is on AltGr-e, and .. meh, I'm not printing the entire keyboard here. Maybe some other time.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 07-08-2006 02:56 PM]
07-08-2006 at 02:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
trick wrote:
Because I'm curious .. You people who say you get alternate symbols with Alt, do you actually get those with the regular Alt, or Alt Gr ? (I get nothing with Alt, and have to use Alt Gr in stead)

I have no idea what Alt Gr is but this is a complete set for the Mac keyboard.

Top row § 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = (backspace/delete)
Shift only ± ! @ £ $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +
Alt only ¡ € # ¢ ? § ¶ • ª º – ?
Alt+Shift ?  ™  ‹  ›  ?  ?  ‡  °  ·  ‚  —  ±

We also have KeyCaps/Keyboard Viewer, which gives us things like

å ß ç © and so on.

Elfstone.

Edit - sorry I have these rows all lined up in the message box, but they are not staying lined up!

[Last edited by Elfstone at 07-08-2006 03:06 PM : layout]
07-08-2006 at 03:03 PM
Jason
Alt Gr is on windows.

I just know it because there are windows at school.

07-08-2006 at 03:13 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Backspace on Macs. (Somebody told me there isn't one.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com