Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Seeding controversies... (Details Inside...)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Znirk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 613
IP: Logged
icon Re: Seeding controversies... (+3)  
Banjooie wrote:
I think he clearly said here, Eytanz, how the door is configured towards the tar.

- What happen?

- Somebody configure towards us the door!

- Main screen turn on.

- It's Tar!
08-07-2006 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Seeding controversies... (0)  
Not black door, green and blue doors. Some prisoners may stumble on to the tar and thus either be trapped or in danger.

*out of character* There is no way the aboveground Eighth would even know of the Rooted Empire, letalone known its secrets.

08-07-2006 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Character or not, I still have no idea what it is you are actually trying to say. Could you try to get into a bit more talkative character? One who actually gives contexts and explanations to what he says?

Specifically - what doors? what prisoners? what tar will they stumble on? I still fail to see how anything here is a "corruption". Maybe if you could explain what you think that the Dungeon Architect's Association is supposed to do, it would be easier to understand what you think it's doing wrong.

You should also remember that seeding has nothing to do with the DAA. Seeding is when a smitemaster puts monsters in a dungeon to inflate his or her bill. The DAA is *supposed* to put monsters in dungeons. Sure, they have to obey certain rules about it, but they cannot be accused of seeding. And I don't buy your logic about secret rooms "helping" smitemasters seed. Whether or not a smitemaster has to clear secret rooms depends on the contract he or she is fulfilling. You can't make blanket statements about that.

[Last edited by eytanz at 08-07-2006 08:22 PM]
08-07-2006 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3635
icon Re: Seeding controversies... (+1)  
Huh? I thought the DAA was supposed to build dungeons, and then (somehow) monsters eventually get into them AND THEN the smitemasters come in and clean it?

The point being that it's not the DAA's job to fill the holds with monsters, it's the Empire's.

08-08-2006 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Well, I don't think this is clear in the official canon, but I always took it to be that the DAA puts monsters in dungeons as protection mechanisms - not always, but sometimes - and smitemasters are called in when the monsters get out of hand, which always happens, sooner or later.

Plus (spoilers for the ending of JtRH follow):

Click here to view the secret text

08-08-2006 at 03:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
eytanz wrote:
Well, I don't think this is clear in the official canon, but I always took it to be that the DAA puts monsters in dungeons as protection mechanisms - not always, but sometimes - and smitemasters are called in when the monsters get out of hand, which always happens, sooner or later.

Plus (spoilers for the ending of JtRH follow):

And don't forget (Perfection Spoilers)

08-08-2006 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
The DAA most likely puts the monsters in to the dungeons for protection or containment. However, rooms where the monsters can breed that the delver may not see is a clear attempt at accusing innocent delvers of seeding. That or the Smitemaster's Guild has made deals with the DAA to show a far easier, less legally overpowering way to seed.

08-08-2006 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Oh, I see. But I think you're just suffering from a too-narrow interpretation of the Smitemaster's guild's rules, based on outdated information. I think it's pretty much accepted by everyone these days that it's not the smiter's job to clear every single room. For some rooms, like the ones involving too-long serpents, it's up to the smitermaster to decide. Other rooms are simply impossible to clear. And yet others, the so-called "secret rooms" are excluded by a smitemaster's contract because no-one really knows where they are. Sure, if a smiter want's to become a smitemaster, he should find and clear them, but that's a matter of professional pride, not obligation.

08-08-2006 at 06:44 AM
Snacko
That's exactly what I said, I said for rooms like these it was the employer's fault, not the delver's.

08-11-2006 at 12:55 AM
eytanz
Well, but in that case seeding is irrelevant. Seeding is something only smiters can do.

08-11-2006 at 01:21 AM
Snacko
eytanz wrote:
I should point out that this is JtRH - Beethro wasn't even on contract, he was freelancing. There were no clients to complain...

(I'm glad that it wasn't a KDD 2.0 secret room used to make the seeding argument )

*ooc* He was actually responding to a message from Dugan accusing him of seeding.

01-25-2007 at 05:08 PM
eytanz
What? What message from Dugan? Responding by doing what? How does your message have anything to do with the message by me you are quoting?

Ignoring the fact that you waited 4 months to post your message, I don't understand why you always make life really difficult for people talking to you by just making these short statements without giving enough information to let people know what in the world you actually mean.

01-25-2007 at 05:19 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
He means the letter Beethro gets in this story here.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 01-25-2007 07:51 PM]
01-25-2007 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Seeding controversies... (+1)  
Ok, but what does that have to do with anything?

To recap, the discussion went like this:

- Snacko said that Beethro is guilty of seeding because he left unsolved secret rooms in JtRH.
- I pointed out that he was not on contract in JtRH and therefore cannot be blamed for seeding, since he was under no obligation to solve every room.
- Snacko now replies that the reason Beethro was in the JtRH hold in the first place is because he was blamed for seeding in a letter by Dugan.

But Beethro got Dugan's letter *before* he was in JtRH, and thus it cannot be talking about things he did in JtRH. Plus, the story makes it clear that the letter was incorrect to begin with, and that Beethro didn't even care about it. So he was not really responding to it, anyway.

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-25-2007 08:22 PM]
01-25-2007 at 08:20 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Seeding controversies... (+3)  
Here's how I see it:

Beethro is contracted by Dugan to clear KDD.
Beethro clears KDD.
Dugan sends Beethro a letter accusing him of seeding, and wants his dungeon done again.
Beethro burns it with the rest of the free firepaper he gets from Dugan.
Beethro talks to Mobley about the one-way door on L10 in KDD, suspecting that it may be the cause of the seeding.
Mobley makes Beethro a portable orb.
Beethro takes Halph with him (because Vonnifa wants to show Halph that dunging is a bad career) to go investigate what is beyond that orb.
JtRH begins, Beethro being a freelance investigator.

01-25-2007 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
No, what I mean is that it was possible that he believed that the door was the cause of the seeding complaints and he took Halph along with him at a request from Vonnifa.

By the way, I clearly pointed out that Beethro HAD cleared the secret room, however my sources in the way of maps are limited to his delvings.

01-26-2007 at 10:35 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Seeding controversies... (Details Inside...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com