Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chip's Challenge (The sequel that could not be published)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Chip's Challenge (+5)  
I'm sure most of you puzzle fans have heard of the classic Chip's Challenge, one of the earlier tile-based puzzlers. A less well-known fact is that its creator, Chuck Sommerville, was so impressed by fan reactions to this game that he made a sequel to it, co-starring Chip's now-girlfriend Melinda.

This game was finished several years ago, but the problem with it is that the publisher (Bridgestone) didn't think it would make a profit, and since they were the legal owners of the concept and characters, it could not be published.

After a petition by a number of die-hard fans, however, the company finally decided to be nice since they wouldn't be making money on it anyway (and they might at least earn some goodwill from the internet community), so they have stated they wouldn't mind if Chuck put it on the internet for free. Interested people can now download it here.

It's really well done. It has all the elements from the original Chip, plus logic gates, train tracks, a transmogrifier, and more. A must-have for all puzzle fans!

04-01-2006 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (0)  
:-O................

YAY!!!! You don't know how long I've been waiting for this! When did it come out?

EDIT:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Ezlo at 04-01-2006 01:47 AM]
04-01-2006 at 01:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-01-2006 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794

-Erik

04-01-2006 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126

04-01-2006 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-01-2006 07:39 AM]
04-01-2006 at 07:06 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (+2)  
;)
:)
:|
:?
:-O
:huh
-_-
:angry
:thumbsdown

04-01-2006 at 10:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
:)

04-10-2006 at 05:28 PM
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (+1)  
Chips challenge is a really addicting game! I got hooked on it for a while. :rolleyes And did you know that there is an emulator for chips challenge? Its got awesome graphics and animations. I'm not sure where you can download it though...

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 06-23-2006 03:45 PM]
04-15-2006 at 11:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Chips challenge is a really addicting game! I got hooked on it for a while. :rolleyes And did u know that there is an emulator for chips challenge. its got awesome graphics and animations. im not sure where u can download it tho..

Okay.
04-16-2006 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Chips challenge is a really addicting game! I got hooked on it for a while. :rolleyes And did u know that there is an emulator for chips challenge. its got awesome graphics and animations. im not sure where u can download it tho..
You're talking about Brian Raiter's Tile World, I think. Welcome to the forum!

-Erik

04-16-2006 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Yeah, Tile World. Its pretty awesome but nothing beats the original.

Keep posting,

PS. Im new to the membership thing, and it said on the news that I was going to get some holds, do they mail it to me? -_-

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 07-14-2006 01:51 AM]
04-16-2006 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
PS. Im new to the membership thingy, and it said on the news that i was gonna get sum holds, do they mail it to me? -_-
Yeah, I don't see a CaravelNet membership for you. E-mail me (erikh@caravelgames.com) with the full name that you placed the order for CaravelNet with, and I'll look you up.

-Erik

04-17-2006 at 12:18 AM
UrAvgAzn
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see a CaravelNet membership for you. E-mail me (erikh@caravelgames.com) with the full name that you placed the order for CaravelNet with, and I'll look you up.

-Erik

Ok, never mind. i thought membership was just registering for the website...

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 06-23-2006 03:44 PM]
04-17-2006 at 12:34 AM
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Ok, never mind. i thought membership was just registering for the website...
No problem, but you also ought to check out: http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php (Many, many holds for you.)

-Erik

04-17-2006 at 12:38 AM
UrAvgAzn
ErikH2000 wrote:
No problem, but you also ought to check out: http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php (Many, many holds for you.)

-Erik

Hehe, I already downloaded all of them... You see, whenever I get into a game, I download most of the upgrades. And do you know where I can get new graphics for JtRH? I already have Volcano, Toscana, and Sanctum 2. Thnx.

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 06-23-2006 03:49 PM]
04-17-2006 at 01:07 AM
Pinnacle
The 132nd Archivist is probably your best bet.
You seem to have all but Flaming Peligroso.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 04-17-2006 02:25 AM]
04-17-2006 at 02:24 AM
nick142
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
The like doesn't work any more.could Someone tell me another place to get the game or could send it to me.
11-17-2009 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
If you're looking for Chips Challenge then you won't find it here.

On the other hand, I did found a recent interview with Chuck Summerville, which I'll quote one question out of it:
DM: Lastly, what games have you enjoyed recently?

CS: I really like the Deadly Rooms of Death (DROD) series from Caravel Games. I have also recently been playing a lot of Mafia Wars on Facebook and Wizard 101 with my son. In terms of card games, I like Zombie Fluxx, and in terms of board games, I like Carcassonne. As you can see, I have moved away from twitch games.

11-17-2009 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nick142
That sucks.I really have been looking for this game for a while.Why doesn't that link work and why does the first post date matter.
11-17-2009 at 04:47 AM
Pinnacle
nick142 wrote:
That sucks.I really have been looking for this game for a while.Why doesn't that link work and why does the first post date matter.
It's April 1. It was a hoax, sadly.

11-17-2009 at 05:30 AM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
nick142 wrote:
The link doesn't work any more.could Someone tell me another place to get the game or could send it to me.

I recommend Tile World to play people's Chip's Challenge level sets. It can be found at Muppet Labs. There used to be (maybe still is) a Usenet site. (or maybe this?)

It has been literally years since I was last there. I cannot guarantee that it is still up and running.

edit: Yahoo Groups used to have many level sets that could be played in Tile World in their Chip's Challenge group. On the whole, I can't really recommend Yahoo Groups because of all the spam postings on the boards. The DRoD board is nothing but spam now.

"Until it ends, there is no end."

[Last edited by bdwing at 11-17-2009 11:29 AM]
11-17-2009 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
Per an email I just received, Chip's Challenge 1 and 2 will be available on Steam in three days time. So, by June 1st.

:w00t

"Until it ends, there is no end."
05-26-2015 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It's released

Blobnet was just as fun as I remembered :fear
05-28-2015 at 05:11 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Block Buster can go die in a pit. Seriously. :/

06-16-2015 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Hikari: Traditionally, Netflix seems to work for that...
06-16-2015 at 11:39 AM
Kalin
Rank Points: 173
This thread sure took a surprising twist...:fun

Has anyone here played the Steam version yet? I have fond memories of playing the Windows version years ago (decades ago?), but I never finished it. My reflexes weren't the best, and they're worse now, so I'm worried the game is now beyond my skill.

Also, some reviews on Steam complain about the movement and collisions which is worrying. But maybe that's just about speedruns, which I don't care about.

I can get DROD achievements usually without hints, will those skills be enough to get the achievements in CC?
01-28-2016 at 02:45 AM
nick142
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (+2)  
Lol. I remember many years ago I singed up for this site just to post a reply on this thread asking where cc2 is. I have it now and it is good. The levels are fantastic and the new items are so fun and interesting to play with. I have a lot of fun learning about how logic gates work by messing around in cc2's editor. It can play cc1 levels by use of a downloadable converter. The rule set is slightly different though so whe it converts the levels it also prints out a bug report. I recommend the bundle of cc1 and 2 and the editor. also if you are on Facebook there is a group of longtime chips challenge level designers who have a page called the chips challenge bit busters club that you could join.
01-28-2016 at 03:40 PM
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 112
icon Re: Chip's Challenge (-1)  
Aww, Chip's Challenge. That brings me way back. That was, like, CC Zone age, where I was "Chipwoodstock." And this was before I became a huge person on DashNet Forums (the Cookie Clicker forums). And that's before I became a large figure on /r/fnafcringe and a mod there. And then that's before I became a mod on the PvZ Wikia, and before now, where I work with a bunch of famous YouTube animators and moderate the subreddit for Inanimate Insanity, which is basically tied for being the most famous Object Show online, when that's already a pretty popular thing...

...Pardon my rambling, but man, this game takes me back ages. Or, it feels like ages. And I never did finish that level pack, or submit ratings for CCLP1...

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
10-02-2016 at 04:26 AM
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
It's become public knowledge on the forum that I'm Chuck Sommmerville's son, right? Anyway, you should be aware that he released a card game of his own invention, like, with actual physical cards. It's called Cardiceo, look it up.

10-02-2016 at 04:55 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chip's Challenge (The sequel that could not be published)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com