Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Name the game! (In which people vaguely recollect games of yore.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
IP: Logged
icon Re: Name the game! (0)  
Radiant wrote:
TIM was a very original concept, I really liked it. If you enjoy that kind of game, you should check HOTU for a game named Marble Drop. It's cute.
Yeah, I just went through that! It was fun. Took some Gerry rigging :) to get it working on WinXP.

How about something that predates TIM -- Rocky's Boots on the Apple II!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-31-2006 10:28 PM]
03-31-2006 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I liked Blast Corps,too. Drifting into a row of houses rocked.
Not sure what this thread is about -
but anyone know Space Station Silicon Valley (N64)? Now this masterpiece is underappreciated.

03-31-2006 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Just to let you know, Radiant, Underdogs is down at the moment. Well, the actual site isn't, but the domain is gone, and because so many things on the site require the domain usage, it's best to think of it as gone.

Of course, you can check out the Wikipedia article on the site and get the backup domain or the IP address, but I won't link to either.

03-31-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Name the game! (+1)  
Got both. Very enjoyable puzzles. Still haven't beat all of them. TIM is actually one of the most innovative games I've ever seen, and Marble Drop is a game that loves an excellent hybrid of thinking and timing, while still being an intellectual game as opposed to an action one.
04-01-2006 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I posted this a while back, but this seems like a good thread to ask again:
Can anyone identify the following game. It's a pretty old PC puzzle/platformer and I'm sure the file was galactix.com or .exe, but searching for "galactix" never gets me the right game. You play a little green alien thing whose spaceship has crashed and you need to fix it. You can pick up/drop/eat/use things, and have an energy bar that's running out. I never completed it, and would like to.

04-07-2006 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Jacob wrote:
Can anyone identify the following game. It's a pretty old PC puzzle/platformer and I'm sure the file was galactix.com or .exe, but searching for "galactix" never gets me the right game. You play a little green alien thing whose spaceship has crashed and you need to fix it. You can pick up/drop/eat/use things, and have an energy bar that's running out. I never completed it, and would like to.
Rings a bell. I saw a game like this a couple of times. I think it was on some console unit...like an Atari or Colecovision or something...

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-08-2006 07:24 PM]
04-07-2006 at 09:13 PM
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
Jacob wrote:
You play a little green alien thing whose spaceship has crashed and you need to fix it.

This part sounds like Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
04-08-2006 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Galactix is an old (and rather bland) shmup, probably not what you mean.

Green alien... let's see... there's Cosmo, indeed, and Norp the Yorp. Neither has pick up / put down options, though. Maybe some Dizzy clone?

04-08-2006 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Jacob wrote:
That could be a lot of games... If you give me which games platform and which year roughly, I should be able to work it out. Did it have a spanner in a phonebox and was there an issue with gravity? Sounds like that could be it, but I only played it on the Atari ST and can't work out the name at the moment. Or was it the old Amstrad game where you were stuck on a spaceship which needed fixing? This was mostly robot based (with text involved for commands) - though there were tiled gfx.

Eat things? How? If it's using the space bar, and it was on the Amiga, then I may have played it too. Or was it on the old Philips game system circa 1982? That was more of a maze game, but involved the time bar (as did the Atari version). In fact, if the time bar contnued between screens, I'm certain it's the Atari one.

Unless it was a point and click one such as "Space Quest" with Roger Wilko. I believe the start of SQ1 was involved with fixing it.... but so was "Beneath a steel sky". Then again, you weren't a green alien thingy in either.

But you mention platforms...

Hmmm...

I think the most telling info would be:
Platform
Res
Controls
Genre (style inc)
Primary colour
Year

[Last edited by Syntax at 04-08-2006 04:10 PM]
04-08-2006 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
The game I was thinking of does have a constantly decreasing time/energy meter, but actually I think you fly a (working?) spaceship (with momentum, iirc) around to different planets on a map, maybe navigating a side-view maze to get to the planet's surface, where then your man can exit the ship and walk along on the surface to pick up parts or something. I'm guessing it was released in the early 80's. In fact, it might have had a name like "Cosmic Adventure", but it definitely isn't the Cosmo one.

edit: I wonder if that game is Thrust.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-08-2006 08:10 PM]
04-08-2006 at 07:28 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Jacob wrote:
You play a little green alien thing whose spaceship has crashed and you need to fix it. You can pick up/drop/eat/use things, and have an energy bar that's running out. I never completed it, and would like to.
Well, in that game you can pick up and drop bombs, eat food and other things to gain points to your score.

I don't know about the use thing, but I do know that the storyline to that game was about the alien finding his parents, not fixing his ship. Although that might have been a secondary cause as well.

04-09-2006 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
lakibuk
Rank Points: 93
Could that game be Cosmic Tunnels?
http://www.thelegacy.de/Museum/1859/

[Last edited by lakibuk at 04-09-2006 09:51 AM]
04-09-2006 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Nope none of those games. It was on my old Amstrad PC. I seem to remember the controls being left and right shifts and space to move and jump, with the arrow keys selecting your actions (eat, use etc). It was a definitely a green alien with antennae, not any spaceship (or human). Green was the main colour of everything. I'm pretty sure that there was a shoot button, but it you could only shoot one shot at a time. I'm also pretty sure the game had a sequel, but they seem to have disappeared into te mists of time.

04-13-2006 at 04:34 PM
John259
Rank Points: 57
mrimer wrote:
Radiant wrote:
you should check HOTU for a game named Marble Drop. It's cute.
Yeah, I just went through that! It was fun. Took some Gerry rigging :) to get it working on WinXP.
Could you explain what needs to be done to get Marble Drop running on WinXP please? It says "not installed properly" no matter what I try (various screen resolutions/numbers of colours and compatibility options; and I ran its registry install.bat file).

Much thanks in advance for any info,

John

04-20-2006 at 06:44 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oh, man, the amount of work it took to get Marble Drop to work. There's a patch, I believe, that you need to use to make it work in Windows XP.

04-21-2006 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
John259
Mattcrampy wrote:
Oh, man, the amount of work it took to get Marble Drop to work. There's a patch, I believe, that you need to use to make it work in Windows XP.
Matt, Many thanks for the reply even it was bad news! - John

04-21-2006 at 10:32 AM
mrimer

File: howToInstallMarbleDropOnWinXP.txt (724 bytes)
Downloaded 86 times.
License: Public Domain
I found some instructions of how to get Marble Drop working on Windows XP and copied the directions here, with some modifications by me (attached).

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-21-2006 07:12 PM]
04-21-2006 at 07:12 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Name the game! (+2)  
I just tried compatibility mode. It worked.
04-21-2006 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
coppro wrote:
I just tried compatibility mode. It worked.
Compatibility mode! Of course!

Reading this thread made me dig up my old Marble Drop CD earlier this week, but the installer refused to install on this new-fangled equipment ... but of course it's a different matter once your system pretends to be Windows 95. Just make sure to select "no" when you're prompted to install DirectX version 3 :D
04-22-2006 at 12:19 AM
John259
mrimer,

Wonderful, that fixed it, deep joy. Many thanks.

John

04-22-2006 at 09:52 AM
gamer_extreme_101
I remember Marble Drop. Heck, I'm probably one fo the few people who actually own the CD for it. I need to find how to get it running on Win2K now, or else I'm going to feel horribly left out.

But that game is wonderful. Such a simple premise, yet so fun and so challenging that you can't help being addicted.

04-22-2006 at 05:56 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Meh. After all this hype, I just had to try it out, but I was a bit dissapointed. I guess I expected something more like TIM, but this game, while looking nice, was pretty dull as far as gameplay is concerned. Maybe it'll pick up the pace at later levels, but right now it seems too much like just checking the path from a funnel to see which bin the ball'll end up in, and drop that ball in. You rarely need to take into account the larger picture of the whole contraption. Not to mention that most of your time, even at gamespeed 9, is spent just watching the balls as they keep on rolling for what seems like an eternity. (especially the elevators)

[Last edited by Krishh at 04-24-2006 04:16 PM]
04-24-2006 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Could Syntax's game be Atic Atac? Mobygames thinks it was only released on the ZX Spectrum (which is where I played it) but it has some similarities - my overriding memory of it was falling through bloomin' trapdoors every 5 minutes.

07-17-2006 at 08:37 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Not sure... didn't have a game ;)
07-25-2006 at 08:54 PM
mrimer
A Jumpman clone, Hap Hazard has been released on http://www.raptisoft.com/. This isn't a spam...I just noticed the game, and people who like Jumpman would probably appreciate this "facelifted" version.

02-05-2007 at 04:47 AM
DGM
Rank Points: 202
mrimer wrote:
How about something that predates TIM -- Rocky's Boots on the Apple II!

Wow. That brought back memories... One of the first computer games I ever remember playing.

02-05-2007 at 06:57 AM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Just to let you know, Radiant, Underdogs is down at the moment. Well, the actual site isn't, but the domain is gone, and because so many things on the site require the domain usage, it's best to think of it as gone.

Underdogs isn't dead AFAICS.. I just downloaded something from there like a day or two ago, too.
02-05-2007 at 08:05 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Seeing as the post was from around 10 months ago, I'm not surprised :P
02-05-2007 at 08:10 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
BDR wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

Underdogs isn't dead AFAICS.. I just downloaded something from there like a day or two ago, too.
It was at the time of Patrick's post.

Post collision FTW!

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-05-2007 08:12 AM]
02-05-2007 at 08:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Name the game! (In which people vaguely recollect games of yore.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com