Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Webs (So spiders aren't so like roaches)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
IP: Logged
icon Webs (+8)  
The trouble with spiders is they're mostly just roaches with a 'gotcha'. That can be nice sometimes, but its not really that distinctive, and its use is limited (at least if you want anyone to PLAY your hold). But at the same time, you can't really CHANGE their mechanics.

But what you can do is add a new tile overlay: webs. Spiders would treat webbed tiles exactly like any other tile, they can move through them freely.

Anything else could enter webs freely, but only leave webs a.) onto another webbed tile or b.) onto a normal tile from a web only contacted by one other web.

For instance, this web is inescapable:
.W.
.W.

While this web can be escaped from anywhere but the center

W.W
.W.
W.W

Webs cannot be cut by sword, but can be bombed (which could create new exits from a web, or destroy existing ones).

Brained creatures would refuse to enter webs which have no exit from which they can reach Beethro, but would enter if he is reachable.

Lastly, webs would block the spread of tar and mud (this is to prevent information hiding and based on the fact that fuses do the same).

I see alot of puzzle potential here: battling spiders in webbed rooms, new ways to manipulate roaches, puzzles where you use bombs to manipulate what parts of webs are accessible, and rooms where you need to balance their tar and monster containment properties with their beethro containment properties. Also, they could be used atmospherically, since if you begin a room on web and avoid exit points, it effectively becomes the standard floor of the room.

PS: I'm undecided on webs and serpents. They could either ignore them (too big to stick), treat them as obstacles, or follow the same entry exit rules as any other monster (which would make them a serpents worst nightmare).

03-20-2006 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Webs (+1)  
I like it. And there's a host of other ideas to go along with it:

Spider Queens who will spin new webs as they move. Move like roach queens unless beethro is on a web connected to the SQ. Then they move towards him. (like an insect stuck in a web... the spider feels his vibrations and moves in for the kill). And they could potentially lay new spider eggs every spawn cycle.

Snakes should not only be able to move through the webbing, but should destroy it (imagine a snake in real life moving through a spider's web... no chance)

03-20-2006 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Webs (+2)  
Neat! Just the type of idea I like!

Could someone give this gentleman a rank point for me? I'm fresh out.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-20-2006 11:35 PM]
03-20-2006 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Webs (0)  
damn, how come you thought of that?
i was meant to think that, dammit.

just goes to show that there are still good ideas to be thought of.
03-21-2006 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Cool idea! Something has to be done with spiders.

stigant wrote:
Spider Queens who will spin new webs as they move. Move like roach queens unless beethro is on a web connected to the SQ. Then they move towards him. (like an insect stuck in a web... the spider feels his vibrations and moves in for the kill). And they could potentially lay new spider eggs every spawn cycle.

I like the idea of spinning new webs but not the one of the spawning new spiders. Too much similar to Roach Queens, we already have 4 monsters that behave the same way: roaches, tar babies, mud babies and spiders (let's hope this one has something new to do from now on). I think it would be better not to repeat behaviors and make new creatures with new features.

The idea of spinning I think it would be better to spin if they're in a tile in contact with a tile with web.

Btw, will Spider Queens be invisible too? Because if they spawn invisible roaches that would be too much caothic and un-deterministic (in the way that you don't know what's going on).

Another idea. Can spiderwebs be onto pits? And if so, can Spider Queens spin more web on pit tiles next to webs? (Anyone remebers Gorax's spider in
the Ewoks movie?)

EDIT: I think spiders queen moving like roach queens is a bit weird since they can kill him. I think it would be cool if they could move only on spiders web and spin new web. If Beethro is outside their spiderweb they behave like roaches and if Beethro is on their website (or on a square adjacent to it) they move like goblins.

[Last edited by Bombadil at 03-21-2006 11:37 AM]
03-21-2006 at 11:22 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Bombadil wrote:
Another idea. Can spiderwebs be onto pits? And if so, can Spider Queens spin more web on pit tiles next to webs? (Anyone remebers Gorax's spider in
the Ewoks movie?)

If webs are spun on pit tiles, can Beethro walk on the spiders web to cross pits?

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 03-21-2006 11:29 AM]
03-21-2006 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
the Ewoks movie?)

If webs are spun on pit tiles, can Beethro walk on the spiders web to cross pits?

That's the idea.
03-21-2006 at 11:44 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Nah, that's this idea.

I knew I had heard something like this before.

03-21-2006 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Why couldn't the ordinary spiders spin the web? Of course they could only continue an existing one, so as to not break current rooms. So if you want a spider to create a new web, just place one under him, or have puzzles where you have to lead a spider to a web and then have that spider create a bgger one. (for example for trapping monsters)
03-21-2006 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Hmmm... with the restrictions on entering and exiting a web, having new web be spun could easily (and considering how movement order can shift where a monster ends up, rather unpredictably) make formerly passable webs impassible. Also, while you're on a web, new webs would make you MORE manuverable, not less, since you can move freely within the web, just not outside it.

It might be ok for a new 'spider queen' type monster to do this, but for regular spiders to start spinning webs would break most of the new potential webs had just created for spiders.

If there were to be a spider spawner created in the game, it would probably be best to make it a stationary egg sac that only spawns onto web squares, that way the invisible menace is coming from a predictable place, at a predictable time, in potentially limited amounts (but Beethro must enter the web to fight it, leaving him vulnerable to spider blitzes while he has limited mobility)

03-21-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I really love the webs idea, I have another...

I think, the Spider Queens should be only able to walk on webs. They should only be able to spawn spider eggs on webs. And they could only move near the borders. So they cannot neither enter deep web, nor leave it.

.xxxxxxxx.
.xXXXXXXx.
.xxXXXXXx.
..xxxxxXx.
......xxx.

If we say, that:
.=Floor
x=border/shallow web
X=not-border/deep web
then will can say, that Spider Q. will only be able to walk on small "x"'ses. To make it more interesting, the queen will kill you, if you will try to stand next to her (It reminds me of the black widow). And so on, to make it more, more interesting, we could add a Spider King. If you will stand in the distance of 5 squares of his position, he will consider you as enemy, and will behave like goblin, just to try to kill you. However, if you will leave that square, he will return to the place where he was standing. He won't move (unless you stand on that indicanted distance). But if he would be placed next to the border, he will spin web on free floor next to him, and he will move forward on the web when the spawning begins (ahh, I forgot the proper words...). And again, he will spin web, and move forward. If he meets wall, and at the spawning he can't move forward, he will behave like spider queen, and try to find some "border" web, which is next to empty floor. and then of course he again will do the spin->move. If there is no more free floor which can be "webbed" he will start to behave like goblin, but he can't leave the web. That's what I managed to invent in few minutes :).

But I love this idea(not mine, but mine is not too bad, I think.).

[Last edited by skell at 03-29-2006 05:10 PM]
03-29-2006 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think that when spiders spawn, the eggs should be visible, thus removing most of the guesswork.

and perhaps create a new monster (called weaving spider or the like) that weaves webs.

also, you could make it so that the web acts as an alarm to the spiders on it, or have a second type of web that does that.

then have it so that the other monsters, prefer to stay off webs, but will go on if they are next to the sword(within constraints of their AI, of course), which is vice versa for spiders, thus explaining why they were seen off webs.

(sorry if someones mentioned these already)
03-30-2006 at 07:16 AM
NekoIncardine
Rank Points: 127
Here's my compiled simplified idea for Advanced Spiders/Webs. Cue the Savato music from Trauma Center. >.> <.< (Anyone who has managed to get to the Savato mission - the REAL one - in that game is awesome).

The new mechanics can be sorted into up to four discreet items.
* Webs: A new movement-limiting mechanic for Beethro and all non-flying monsters. Once they get on them, he can ONLY get off by stepping onto a space which has at most one web space orthogonally surrounding it. Can stack with Orthogonal squares or force arrows for further restrictions.
* Spiders: Are mechanically identical to how they are now - exactly identical. Meaning, they ignore webs.
* Savato - erm, Spider Queen: Spider Queens stay along the edge of the web except to bolt across it if Beethro's sword gets too close from the outside. They will lay eggs every thirty ticks on adjacent non-edge web tiles. Also, melts Beethro's sword when he stabs it, so he has to get Halph to go get him a replacement - erm, wrong game.
* Web Weaver: Web Weavers move once every five ticks along the spaces just outside the edges of the web they must start along, moving clockwise around it. A Web Weaver only moves once every five ticks, but the instant it lands on a tile, that tile becomes web.

... I am now picturing all of the GUILT strains from Trauma Center as DROD monsters. This is not good.

03-31-2006 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
How are webs going to work for TCB? Seeing as there won't be a grid, are webs going to stay in a grid and use some sort of 'percentage in web' thing to work out entanglement, or do you think it'd work in more of a spread pattern?

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 04-01-2006 01:02 PM]
04-01-2006 at 09:42 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Seeing as there won't be a grid
There's no grid in TCB? What do you mean by that?

04-01-2006 at 08:16 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
stigant wrote:
There's no grid in TCB? What do you mean by that?
Well, I guess the cat's out of the bag .. It was decided that the grid of squares used in the DROD games so far was primarily an artificial limitation and that by removing it, we could obtain greater variety and freedom in puzzle design (not to mention better, non-tiled graphics). So, in the 3.0 engine, in stead of moving entire squares at a time, monsters move one pixel for each pixel you move.

(Traditional, grid-based rooms are still possible to create, but this is mostly for backwards compatibility.)

- Gerry
04-01-2006 at 08:26 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I keep reminding myself that it's not April Fool's Day.
04-01-2006 at 08:30 PM
Mattcrampy
Um, whoops.

But yeah, the grid was gotten rid of so that they could get multiplayer working properly.

04-02-2006 at 02:05 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
And so that they could get the free-rotating laser gun to work too.

Also, the Slayer will be a cyborg outfitted with grenade launchers.

04-02-2006 at 05:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
In case anyone was in doubt, my post above was all lies. Lies!

Stupid time zones.

- Gerry
04-02-2006 at 01:23 PM
Mattcrampy
As were mine.

04-02-2006 at 02:24 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I have to admit, the demos would look pretty cool.
04-03-2006 at 02:35 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Webs (So spiders aren't so like roaches)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com