Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Big Wide World! (First Public Release.)
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged

File: Big Wide World.hold (981.2 KB)
Downloaded 118 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Big Wide World! (+6)  
Here's Big Wide World! Very unfinished.

Thanks to Eytan, Patrick, and Zab for Private beta testing my hold.

And, please, please, please, please, please; if you want to add your cameo to the DBOD, let me know. I need more rooms in there.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 09-03-2006 11:01 PM]
03-07-2006 at 02:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Big Wide World! (0)  
Wow, cool. I'll get started immediately.

03-07-2006 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
May contain spoilers
Click here to view the secret text

03-07-2006 at 02:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
md5i
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Big Wide World! (+1)  
Just a couple notes so far:

1) Hey, this hold is quite fun! Other than the notes I make below, consider this a glowing review, at least thus far.
2) Stairs in Wubba Hold:Entrance ends the hold.
3) Stairs in VRS:2N, 1W, 1E ends the hold. (I'm guessing this is because VRS is not yet finished, but it is a little irritating when it happens during testing.
4) I hate The Wall of Eyes:1S2W. Searching for randomly placed trap doors under growing tar in a room full of tar-covered architecture is not my idea of fun.

03-07-2006 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I'm at school, so I won't have DROD access for several (8+) hours. Just to ask, is this hold canonical? I mean, you're not technically doing a dungeon, based on descriptions, but I'm just wondering.

03-07-2006 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Oh no! If Canonically took on a human form, and played my hold for two minutes, it throw itself of a cliff!

Someone Else, what is a monster ordering bug? I don't quite see what the problem is!

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-07-2006 12:49 PM]
03-07-2006 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
If you place one monster before another, it moves first, right? Look at this:
1 = monster that moves first
2 = monster that moves second
and so on...
B = beethro
- = sword
x = empty space
12345678xxxxxxxx-B
1234567x8xxxxxxx-B
123456x7x8xxxxxx-B
and so on...
It looks nicer if 1 is at the front.
03-07-2006 at 11:16 PM
Chaco
I think I've played just about everything.

It's kinda sad that the DBOD is so empty... my room and Gwen707's are the only ones in there.

03-08-2006 at 02:53 AM
Someone Else
Wall of Eyes: 3W: Are the orbs supposed to be toggle?
The Pyramid of Bombs and Stable end hold when you enter, Wubba shelter ends hold when you exit.
Second floor of beethro's house is required but impossible to beat
beethro says some of wubba master's things in entrance
03-08-2006 at 02:55 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
Played it all the way through, or at least everything possible. The room with the 9 guards was the hardest of the lot, and even that wasn't difficult. But it was all good fun! Dead Woods gave me a giggle too.

It was a pity the stairs which went nowhere were made to end the hold. Testers frustration could have been much relieved by making those inaccessible.

I think everything I noticed wrong has already been pointed out by others, except for a number of spelling mistakes - which I didn't make a note of, but "rouge" instead of "rogue" is one that springs to mind. Mind you "Rouge Architects" does have a certain ring to it.
03-08-2006 at 08:57 AM
Ezlo
Please tell me all the spelling msitakes you find! Evne the ones that I psot! ;)

By the way, my sister's name is Gwin707, named after our cat, who is named after the martin of the same name in the book Inkheart writen by Cornilea Funke. Quite a good book, has a good sequel too.

I'm glad you find my humor funny. Dead woods was originally going to be the opening level of another hold I was making, about Beethro's long journey back to humanity. But I couldn't figure out enough puzzles to make a wubba cave, so I put it in here instead. I hope you don't mind me annoying you with all those secret walls! :D

Does my plot seem okay? Do you think George will mind? Later on, when Beethro meets up with Bluke again, Beethro will notice the Bluke only has one eye. This will leave it open for more shocking plot twists near the end!

The end of the game will invole a treasure hunt in the mayor's basement, but I need some more contestants. Right now, the contestants are: Beethro, Slayer, Bluke, maybe Lord Bader (It depends on if I kill him off or not.), a Rogue Architect, and Citizen 2 and a Negotiator. But for my plot to work out, I need a person to be a representative from our world, who tells Beethro to find a man named Erik. Any volunteers? This will be a cameo part, but you can still have one in the basement as well.

ONE LAST QUESTION! Was the joke in the entrance of the Base of the Wall good? Or was it just annoying?

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-08-2006 12:52 PM]
03-08-2006 at 12:40 PM
Chaco
If you make another room like The Wall of Eyes 2W, I will tear out your spleen and nail it to the wall.

03-08-2006 at 08:00 PM
Ezlo
Why? :-O Are you annoyed in a good way?

EDIT: Minor update, mostly it's so I can continue to work on it as I go to my Gradmother's house for a day or two.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-08-2006 08:14 PM]
03-08-2006 at 08:09 PM
Chaco
Well, it's annoying to keep hacking through the tar and finding walls, then having a tarbaby spawn behind you on a pit or wall before you find that last trapdoor.

03-08-2006 at 09:59 PM
md5i
I think you mean 1S2W, then. And I agree.

03-08-2006 at 10:12 PM
Someone Else
Get see-through tar! And I'll be the representitive from this world. If you want, you can use my real name for this part.
03-08-2006 at 11:00 PM
Ezlo
:-O ........

Inspiration just hit me... a shady person..... named Someone Else! Perfect! You got the job!

BTW, does the update help the tar room? The trapdoors never go away now.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-08-2006 11:06 PM]
03-08-2006 at 11:04 PM
Sergenth
Rank Points: 296
Carver's Clan Floor 3 Once North is a good one :)

Overall, I like this hold a lot, cuz I like the idea of easy holds, and I like the overworld concept lots.

Stairs don't work correctly in many spaces still ("thanks for playing the demo" exits), which is making me want to do something else, which is stupid, cause your hold is entertaining!

For example, when I beat Carver's Clan, I needed to go back in (couldn't see another way out of that mountain area) and that ended the hold and brought me back to the editor.
03-09-2006 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
md5i
Ezlo wrote:
BTW, does the update help the tar room? The trapdoors never go away now.
Almost. The northeastern-most tile square cannot be entered in the new version, since the only approach is diagonally, and it is an orthosquare.

03-09-2006 at 01:25 AM
Ezlo
Oops. Didn't even think of that! Isn't it great to have such great people who test stuff I don't? :smile :blush
03-09-2006 at 01:37 AM
Someone Else
Martha's basement: floor 1: going up says "beethro reached the top" but it isn't the top, it's still the basement.
Theater house: 1N: you can kill the mimics
The stairs to Erik's house go to Dord's house
Dord is gone when you come up from the basement
03-09-2006 at 02:43 AM
Ezlo
What stairs to Erik's House? In the basement?
03-09-2006 at 03:12 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
My word! I just played this last night and I gotta say it was pretty damn incredible. The idea of a scrollable and explorable world is sheer genius! I couldn't find a single bug. I look forward to seeing the full version.

03-09-2006 at 01:43 PM
Someone Else
The stairs in the world that have a scroll by them saying "Erik's house"
03-09-2006 at 11:17 PM
Ezlo
Ooops, I thought I renamed it Dord. :blush
03-10-2006 at 02:31 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594

File: Big Wide World Beta.doc (117 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
I just downloaded and played the hold. I really like it ! ;) There are many really good puzzles for beginners in it. You did a good job !

I played the Carvers Clan levels, the roach nest, and the Martha quest till now.

What´s a little annoying are all those stair bugs. Attached is the file in which put my notes down. Ill upload a new version when i play further.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 03-11-2006 12:22 PM]
03-11-2006 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Nice work! I just fixed the stair bug, now you should be able to get to the Mount Rocky Trail quest.
03-11-2006 at 05:19 PM
Ezlo
For some reason every single staircase became unmapped, I just fixed every, last, one, and now we are up and running. Check all the staircases, the only ones that shouldn't work are the inaccesible ones, the arena, and the great pyramid.
03-12-2006 at 03:28 AM
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
In the Big Wide World 2 version of this hold, in Roach Nest Once South Once West, after completing all the rooms and backtracking to the entrance to leave:

I'm stuck.

There is a red gate blocking access to the trapdoors.
Is there another way to leave this area?

(The first version of the hold did not have this problem with this room.)

"Until it ends, there is no end."
03-12-2006 at 03:51 PM
Chaco
Hit one of the orbs :P

03-12-2006 at 04:44 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Big Wide World! (First Public Release.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com