Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (A number of small parts are up for grabs.) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+4)  
We've got some regulars that have recorded on Journey to Rooted Hold, King Dugan's Dungeon, The Choice, and Perfection. I have no problems with these guys--they are great, really! But in the interests of getting the best possible acting talent for Smitemaster's Selection, I think I should open up auditions to everybody. The regulars that recorded on past releases are especially encouraged to audition for these parts.

If you are chosen for the part, you'll need to record something from 1 to 20 lines, and sign an agreement giving Caravel Games ownership of your recordings. So that's maybe an hour of work for you. In return, I'll add you to the credits for Halph Stories and send you a free CD in March. If you've already got a Smitemaster's subscription, I'll find something else to send you along with the CD you already are getting.

Recording Tips

The quality of your recording is just as important to me as your acting talent and voice. If the audition recording sounds bad, we can't use you, unfortunately. So here are some tips for getting a good recording to us.

* Experiment with different microphones if you've got them. I'm not going to suggest anyone go out and buy a microphone for this tiny little project. But if you are inclined towards future recording projects (not just with us) then even a relatively cheap $30 microphone can help sound quality a lot. I have an Audio-Technica ATR-40 from Radio Shack that works just fine for my needs. In fact, there is a retail-published poker game out there that has my voice on it recorded from a cheapie ATR-40.

* Reduce noise as much as you can. Turn off fans, printers, and other noise-making devices in the room. Put a thick blanket, like a sleeping bag, over your computer. If you've got a laptop, then you can possibly walk into a low-noise room like a closet or bathroom and try recording there.

* Find the best distance between your mouth and the microphone. Too far away and your quiet voice will need to be amplified with software, which increases the noise level. Too close and your recording will sound distorted from clipping, which occurs when the volume of your voice exceeds what the microphone was designed to capture.

* Watch P's ("purple poppies") and S's ("suffering sucotash") since these tend to produce artifacts from the extra wind you are blowing into the microphone. Being slightly to right or left of microphone helps avoid the artifacts. Also, a lot of mics have windscreens, which are usually just a foamy ball that covers the microphone head.

* Don't add any special effects or filters to the recording, including noise reduction. We prefer to do all that stuff ourselves and just want your raw voice.

* Use mono (not stereo), 44.1khz, 16bit recording settings.

Audition Lines

You can try out for one, some, or all of these parts. Please, don't ask me how I want the line to be recorded. Just try it one or more ways that you like. In your recordings, try at least one natural-sounding voice along with weird ones, so I can get an idea what your unfunky voice sounds like. There are more parts than just those listed here. I might like a voice you use for a different part.

Mother

The mother is responding to very bad news. Her grief is exaggerated for comic effect. Please add some sobbing to the recording.

Mother: Noooo! Oh no! Oh my baby my poor baby! Oh nooooooo! Not my baby... ohhh please!

Mysterious Voice

Voice: Eh... don't get all philosophical and transcendental. Trust me--it's not worth it. Just accept that this is not real.

Dumb Guard

Guard: Hey, we're under orders not to let you get past! Oh yeah, that's right. On you go then.

Goblin

Goblin: One greenback by hisself--he's a dead one. Two greenbacks gotsum tooth luck. Three greenbacks, my bruddas, takesum any man. Even iffit the Butcher, I says it!

The Kid

The kid is lying unconvincingly in response to questions.

Kid: I can't say, really.
Beethro: You're hiding something.
Kid: Uh... um... no! I'm here to meet somebody.
Beethro: Who?
Kid: Oh, uh... nobody really. But he won't show up if you're here.

Post your recorded files as a reply with an attachment in this topic. The file should be MP3, OGG, or WAV. We won't use any audition lines posted in this topic without written permission from you. However, you should consider the licensing options on your attachments if you are worried about other people using your recording in ways you don't want.

We will make casting decisions at the end of this week. And the following week, all lines will be recorded.

-Erik

02-15-2006 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (0)  
very cool.
02-15-2006 at 10:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
Hmm. I *might* just try. Maybe. It depends on if I can find good voice-recording software.

02-15-2006 at 11:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
ErikH2000
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+1)  
Try Audacity. It's free, and you can do most everything needed with it.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 02-15-2006 11:24 PM]
02-15-2006 at 11:05 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
You forgot to close your tag.

Huh, cool. I had Audacity before, but I never knew it could do voice recording.

02-15-2006 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Prophet
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12

File: DROD Audition.zip (782.2 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+2)  
Here's a few off the cuff, let me know what you think even if you don't want to use them.

Attached.

- Prophet
02-16-2006 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
I might try it too, although English is not my mother (nor father) language. But it can be fun!
02-16-2006 at 01:43 PM
Cornutopia

File: goblin.wav (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 62 times.
License: Public Domain
Just a bit of fun, here's my goblin.
02-16-2006 at 04:37 PM
Cornutopia

File: guard.wav (480.1 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
And guard...
02-16-2006 at 04:38 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I want to set up a sock puppet account too! Pretty please?

I have experimented with several voice recorders, and they make my voice sound slightly cacophonous. Otherwise, my voice really is slightly cacophonous. But there are many who do not think so, like me. I might do some recording stuff for this, but time will tell.

02-16-2006 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911

File: MystLarry.ogg (106 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
Mysterious Voice?
02-16-2006 at 07:10 PM
Prophet
Cornutopia wrote:
And guard...

I like this one :)
02-16-2006 at 07:34 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181

File: DiMono-dumbguard1.ogg (97.7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
DiMono Dumb Guard Audition number 1. Just something I threw together quickly from a voice I've been keeping in my back pocket for months now.

02-16-2006 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
DiMono

File: DiMono-mysteriousvoice1.ogg (130.4 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
DiMono Mysterious Voice audition 1. Who ever said a mysterious voice couldn't be a total dweeb?

I got better distance from the computer for this one, so there's less background noise. I can always rerecord the dumb guard if needed.

02-16-2006 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
DiMono

File: DiMono-goblin1.ogg (181.7 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
DiMono Goblin audition 1. I kind of had to hurry through this one, unfortunately, as the furnace was getting ready to come on, so I only had time for one take.

02-16-2006 at 09:22 PM
Leus
Rank Points: 204

File: leus_voice_auditions_halph_1.ogg (749.5 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+3)  
Wow, I actually checked my e-mail this time, so I managed to make it in time!

So, here is a recording of me attempting Mysterious Voice, Dumb Guard, and Goblin. I give anybody every right to this voice clip... Yeah.

So, if anything sounds good but you need me to do it again, let me know.

02-16-2006 at 09:50 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348

File: Abbyzzmal - Mother 1.MP3 (801 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+3)  
Mother.
02-16-2006 at 09:53 PM
Abbyzzmal

File: Abbyzzmal - Mysterious Voice 1.MP3 (628.6 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
Mysterious Voice.
02-16-2006 at 09:54 PM
Abbyzzmal

File: Abbyzzmal - Guard 1.MP3 (336.7 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Guard.
02-16-2006 at 09:55 PM
Abbyzzmal

File: Abbyzzmal - Goblin 1.MP3 (485.7 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Goblin.
02-16-2006 at 09:55 PM
Abbyzzmal

File: Abbyzzmal - Kid 1.MP3 (479.6 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
Kid.
02-16-2006 at 09:56 PM
Abbyzzmal

File: Abbyzzmal - Guard 2.MP3 (476.5 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
I just remembered the context of the Guard line and realized my inflections were all wrong.

Let me try again.
02-16-2006 at 10:25 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129

File: RobMVoice.ogg (144.6 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
Um...here's mine.

Mysterious Voice

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 02-16-2006 10:30 PM]
02-16-2006 at 10:28 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (+1)  
Woah - DiMono is still alive. And DRODing. Long time no hear.

I would love to be able to audition, but I don't have my mike* with me at uni. :( Maybe I can persuade someone to lend me one - or else go buy a decent one which I could probably do with anyway...

*Not Mr Rimer, the other kind

"Oook!"
02-16-2006 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
DiMono
krammer wrote:
Woah - DiMono is still alive. And DRODing. Long time no hear.
Yeah, I've been really, really busy for the last couple months for very, very little money. Sadly, that entirely precludes me having time over here. I only found out about this thread because Erik sent me an email. I promise I haven't forgotten about the Prize Box though.

02-17-2006 at 06:24 AM
Chalks
Rank Points: 267

File: voices.zip (824.6 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
So here are my voices. The mysterious voice is closest to my real voice. I was tempted to inhale some helium before doing the kid's voice, but since I didn't have any handy...

:D
02-17-2006 at 07:43 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

File: Bombadil.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 49 times.
So, here's mine.

It's totally crap, but, man, I had lots of fun doing it.
02-17-2006 at 10:46 PM
DiMono
So uh, it's been more than a week. Any news?

02-24-2006 at 04:58 AM
ErikH2000
First off, I feel a little bad about putting this in the "Contests" section. When I am asking for people's help, they are not "winning" something. And I think I've created a mistaken notion that there will be an announcement about who won a contest when this isn't really a contest. It's a small opportunity for interested people to show their feathers, and after that, I'm just using the shoulder-tapping system as usual. "Shoulder-tapping" means I privately invite people to participate in things we are doing based on how well I think it will work out.

I've contacted some people to help with acting. It's possible I'll contact some more people and ask for help with Halph Stories. I will announce here when we are done recording all parts for Halph Stories.

-Erik

02-24-2006 at 08:41 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Really? I was under the impression that you won a CD. Does this not still hold true?
02-24-2006 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smitemaster's Selection Auditions. (A number of small parts are up for grabs.) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com