Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : See characters as themselves
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon See characters as themselves (+2)  
I'd love a checkbox on the room editor screen that makes it use the graphics for characters that they will actually use in-game. For an even nicer effect, have invisible characters be greyed out (like spiders). I sort of doubt the latter will happen, but even the former would be really great when designing a room with a lot of NPCs.

01-25-2006 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
icon Re: See characters as themselves (0)  
*concurs*
01-25-2006 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
I agree.
01-25-2006 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
I don't see any reason not to.

01-25-2006 at 03:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Maybe they could be distinguished by some kind of mark around their tile?
01-25-2006 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
Maybe they could be distinguished by some kind of mark around their tile?

You mean to distinguish them from non-NPCs using the same graphic, right? Yeah, some marking would be needed, since confusing NPC goblins with real goblins for instance would at least as bad, maybe worse than having trouble distinguishing NPCs from each other

01-25-2006 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Well, that's why I was suggesting to make it an toggleable option. It would allow the architect to normally tell the characters apart, but when necessary switch on the regular graphics and be able to judge what's going on in the room from the same perspective as the player.

01-25-2006 at 10:12 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
The toggle I use is F5, and ESC to toggle back.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-26-2006 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
That's insufficient, for several reasons:

A - You can't keep the information on the screen when you actually need it. You have to press F5, memorize which character is which, press ESC, manipulate the characters a bit, by which point I've forgotten which is which and I need to press F5 again. In the TCB dev phase, when I was building - well, I can't say here, but I'm sure Mike knows which rooms I'm referring to - I spent more time pressing F5 and back than I did on the rest of the room development. That's just wasteful and really, really irritating.

What I want is an option that makes the information you need available on the same screen you want to use it in, while you're using it. F5 does not do that.

B - It only works for characters that are visible upon room entry. If you have characters that show up after several moves - or worse yet, that show up tied to puzzles - you're out of luck.

C - F5 also hides all the non-NPC characters, but if you have several of those next to the visible characters it becomes really confusing.

D - At least in DROD 2.0, when you have a lot of holds in the dat files, F5 is *slow*. On my JtRH installation - using a computer about 1.5 years old - F5 can take up to 20 seconds to work. I don't know if this will still happen in DROD 3.0.

01-26-2006 at 12:37 PM
eytanz
I should point out that this feature request is for an interface *improvement*. No-one debates that it's possible to use F5, or just clicking each character and seeing what graphic they use (making sure you don't screw up their orientations), or memorize everything, or stick little sticky notes to your monitor, or what not. I just think it can be done better.

01-26-2006 at 12:39 PM
mrimer
icon Re: See characters as themselves (+1)  
Sure, that makes sense. Thanks for writing out all the practical issues you're dealing with. I'm worried about cluttering up the interface, but this feature does seem useful. This gives me the idea for a toggle that would show the room as if playing the game -- it would also make tar appear solid, etc., so it would look more like what the in-game would be. Sound good?

01-26-2006 at 04:42 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1224
Sounds great is more like it! :)
01-27-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3640
Go for it!

01-27-2006 at 01:45 AM
eytanz
Well, personally I don't see much utility in making tar seem solid - unlike with the characters, no information is hidden by non-solid tar - but there's no harm in it easier as far as I can tell.

01-27-2006 at 02:40 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
It'll make it more obvious that 'These are the things you have hidden. Gasp!'

Edit: And two weeks later, I realize I've said 'I'll', rather than 'It'll'. Studies show I am not Mike Rimer, 9 times out of 10.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 02-14-2006 10:11 AM]
01-29-2006 at 03:58 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Maybe make them look like their graphics but have some means to distinguish them from real monsters. Something like a red circle around characters comes to mind.

02-13-2006 at 02:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Say [he asked, suddenly designing a hold with a lot of NPCs], whatever happened to this? It still seems like a good idea...
05-07-2007 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: See characters as themselves (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
Say [he asked, suddenly designing a hold with a lot of NPCs], whatever happened to this? It still seems like a good idea...
I'm putting this in. I tried all kinds of schemes and various interfaces to display this information in a useful (and not annoying) way. All the details turned out to be surprisingly harder than I thought. Right now, the method I have settled on is to simply hold <Alt> to see NPC's in-game appearance, then let it go to return to normal. The idea of having non-visible NPCs be transparent is a nice one, too. Let's try this out in build 57.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-15-2008 12:43 AM]
02-15-2008 at 12:39 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Fantastic! Thanks!
02-15-2008 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : See characters as themselves
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com