Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hermetic Puzzles (Our contest for December.)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged

File: Noughts+Crosses.png (12.6 KB)
Downloaded 1346 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 12-05-2005 09:15 PM]
12-04-2005 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174

File: enigme1.bmp (263.7 KB)
Downloaded 75 times.
icon Re: Hermetic Puzzles (0)  

[Last edited by Dali at 12-11-2005 05:22 AM : size]
12-04-2005 at 07:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
For the love of god, can people /please/ save in a filetype besides BMP? Those things are huge!
12-04-2005 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548

File: trianglepuzzle.PNG (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 1334 times.
My first entry.

Answer:

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-04-2005 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Banjooie wrote:
For the love of god, can people /please/ save in a filetype besides BMP? Those things are huge!

I'm Sorry. But I think that a file that has 300Kb or a little more is not very huge...
12-04-2005 at 10:47 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'm Sorry. But I think that a file that has 300Kb or a little more is not very huge...
I deduce that you are not connected with a 56k modem at the moment.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-04-2005 at 11:04 AM
Crazy Ivan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38

File: math_final.JPG (14.4 KB)
Downloaded 1305 times.

12-04-2005 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Nillo wrote:
I deduce that you are not connected with a 56k modem at the moment.

Exactly. But don't be suprised if I tell you I'm connected with less than 56k modem!!! :D
ok I retire what I said, 300 kb is quite huge for a Drod file because ''normally'' a Drod file is around 50KB (holds,...).
12-04-2005 at 02:22 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3625
Oops. Speaking of size, I just realised that my contest entry was made on an only 250 by 250 pixel image. Will I be disqualified for making an image that is too small?

12-04-2005 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I don't think so, as long as adding a 25 pixel border wouldn't hurt it. Just to be safe, you may want to do that though.
12-04-2005 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3625
Well, the rules said it had to be sealed airtight in a 300 by 300 pixel box. So, technically my puzzle fits rather nicely into the box instead of being tight against the sides ;)

12-04-2005 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
300kB = 60 seconds on a 56k modem. I think it's reasonable to say this isn't long, provided you're the only contestant...
12-05-2005 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I think the main point Banjooie was trying to make was, why use a 300kb bitmap when you could use a 20kb jpg. But anyway.
12-05-2005 at 08:13 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
300kB = 60 seconds on a 56k modem. I think it's reasonable to say this isn't long, provided you're the only contestant...

Wouldn't that be 6 seconds?

12-05-2005 at 09:24 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Nope... that's 56 kilobits, or 7 kilobytes, so it seems to me that it'd take more like... umm... 43 seconds. In theory. Perhaps in practice it's more like 60 seconds.

12-05-2005 at 09:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267

File: chalkboard_1.png (8.3 KB)
Downloaded 139 times.
it's a bitmap. because that's what I want. :P

[Last edited by Chalks at 12-07-2005 03:05 AM : Erik :)]
12-05-2005 at 09:34 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Chalks,

[Last edited by Tim at 12-05-2005 10:09 PM]
12-05-2005 at 10:07 PM
Chalks
Tim wrote:
Chalks,

uh, you know...

12-06-2005 at 04:07 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978

File: TheVialSighs.png (7.3 KB)
Downloaded 148 times.

This puzzle shouldn't be considered in the running because information needed to solve it is located outside the puzzle itself.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 12-08-2005 08:28 PM]
12-06-2005 at 05:21 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: drod contest 2.jpg (34.8 KB)
Downloaded 1241 times.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 12-07-2005 06:50 AM]
12-06-2005 at 09:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I can take it further: I'm going to edit both the puzzle AND the answer in later!

Edit: Especially because I get the feeling that RoboBob's puzzle uses the name of the image as a clue, and that thing is more a test tube than a vial.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 12-06-2005 11:09 AM]
12-06-2005 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276

File: Mikko1.gif (50.5 KB)
Downloaded 1260 times.

[Last edited by Mikko at 12-07-2005 01:35 PM]
12-06-2005 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308

File: bla.png (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 1227 times.
12-07-2005 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Chalks and Coppro's boxes have leaked in the same kind of way. Stating the question that the image asks isn't hermetic.

On a related note, some people have added an explanation and other comments along with their answer which is technically against the rules. I can't see any current cases that are causing a problem, but I'm worried about somebody posting something later that is more ambiguous. And then I have to justify why I came down on person X and not also person Y, which is a pain. So if you really want an explanation or other side comments, put them inside the answer tag. In this way, it will always be clear that nothing is revealed before the answer itself.

Examples:

Okay, that last one is pushing the limits, but all of the above work. Just make sure that the first viewable piece of information is the answer itself. No leading up to it.

-Erik

12-07-2005 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Wait, really?

On a related note, some people have added an explanation and other comments along with their answer which is technically against the rules.

That part I followed. But:

So if you really want an explanation or other side comments, put them inside the answer tag. In this way, it will always be clear that nothing is revealed before the answer itself.

That part, I didn't. If having an explanation is against the rules, why is it OK when posted this way?

Or perhaps I misunderstood; but I thought the idea was that the puzzle, and answer, were all there are. In particular, there are some puzzles so far that I haven't understood at all, even given the answer. If an explanation is added, it'll certainly affect the way I judge the puzzle.

Perhaps asked another way--can I go back and add explanations to the ones I posted? :-)
12-07-2005 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Tahnan wrote:
If having an explanation is against the rules, why is it OK when posted this way?
Because I'm loosening the rule a tiny bit. (I'll go back and update the rules at the top later.) I guess people have a hard time not adding extra comments and explanations, and I can't blame them. If people will just stash it all in the same tag that reveals the answer, then the spirit of the first ruleset is followed.
In particular, there are some puzzles so far that I haven't understood at all, even given the answer. If an explanation is added, it'll certainly affect the way I judge the puzzle.
Yeah, I know. There's a balance between making the contest boringly strict and lawlessly unfair. Kind of like at a professional poker table, the players are still allowed to talk to each other while they play, even though it influences the game in small ways.
Perhaps asked another way--can I go back and add explanations to the ones I posted? :-)
Sure, no problem.

-Erik

12-07-2005 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Sure, no problem.

-Erik

Oh! Well, in that case, no problem! :-)

(Actually, I think allowing explanations is a good thing, since--as I said above--I haven't understood all the puzzles posted so far.)
12-07-2005 at 06:51 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon techant (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
8. You can post puzzles at any time between now and the Entrance Deadline which is:

Local Time:12-22-2005 at 12:00 AM

We have started! You may post your puzzles here as soon as you are ready.

-Erik

I could not see the date of 12/22/05 localtime on my computer either until I quoted the text for this posting. So I decided to continue to posted this so that others asking about the same issue would know what the date is and that the issue would get checked out.

12-07-2005 at 09:31 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
TripleM wrote:
I think the main point Banjooie was trying to make was, why use a 300kb bitmap when you could use a 20kb jpg. But anyway.

Exactly! Or, use a PNG which whilst bigger than the jpeg will be lossless. BAN BMP's! (or get the forum to auto-convert them on upload... Hmmmmm, Schik ??? :) )

12-08-2005 at 04:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks

File: guano_island.jpg (67.7 KB)
Downloaded 1192 times.

[Last edited by Chalks at 12-08-2005 04:21 AM : spelling issues]
12-08-2005 at 04:19 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hermetic Puzzles (Our contest for December.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com