Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An adventure. (Because I suck at real holds.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219
IP: Logged
icon An adventure. (0)  
Inspired by geomatrix's metdroid holds, I have decided to build my own adventure based hold. I plan to write a typical adventure-like story with it. My problem is, right now, I realized I am not very good at script-writing. So I need a little help doing some things.

-Writing a script.
-Puzzle rooms.
-some character scripting.

If anyone is interested in helping me build an adventure-based hold, please PM me.

Major update 2/25/08:
This hold is now an adventure where Beethro is given a power that allows him to change into monsters of the Eighth. New version uploaded as of today. PM for beta invites if you want to test.

[Last edited by cheese obsessive at 02-27-2008 05:01 AM]
11-12-2005 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
icon Re: An adventure. (+1)  
OK. I just finished the first area over the past few days. I need people to test it and make sure I didn't completely destroy the scripting and the such. PM me for a beta invite.
11-13-2005 at 07:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
*bump after a long time*

I've played through the hold as a beta tester, and I must say so far, it's pretty good. My only gripe is that it's very frustrating searching through the woods to find each white rock, especially since the monsters respawn every time. And the evil shrubs.

The scripting and story is rather good, however.

11-25-2005 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
icon Re: An adventure. (0)  
Chaco wrote:
*bump after a long time*

I've played through the hold as a beta tester, and I must say so far, it's pretty good. My only gripe is that it's very frustrating searching through the woods to find each white rock, especially since the monsters respawn every time. And the evil shrubs.

The scripting and story is rather good, however.

I was really going back and forth on the monsters for a while. I put them in, so you wouldn't just be dungeon crawling forever. But maybe there are too many? Should I take some out? O_o

Thanks, by the way. It took me a long while to get all of that scripting right, being rather scriptingly-challenged. :D
11-25-2005 at 08:53 PM
Chaco
I just hate rooms with monsters when you can't smite them all, and thus have to smite every time you go through the room - which is a lot of times when combined with the convoluted landscaping and the evil white rocks of doom.

Can you give me a small hint as to where to find rock #9?

11-25-2005 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
I believe rock number 9 is in room
Click here to view the secret text

11-26-2005 at 01:05 AM
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Hi cheese,
So far, I have enjoyed testing this hold. I must say the architecture is fantastic - I am envious :)

The forrest can get a bit annoying, but it is short, and after a while you find your way around. I did die a few times, and there were places I got a bit tied up (to the left where the 3 spiders are in 1S2W, if you have you sword pointing away, you have to keep going to the screen above, move you sword, go back to the previous screen, and move your sword, then back up to the next room, otherwise they will kill you. thus, if there are too many monster, you might want to remove some from the room boundaries.

Also, below is a full list of tiny bugs I found in the rooms. but it is a very promising start :cool.

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
11-26-2005 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Odd. I can't figure out how to get to the Eyeballington brothers. I can see them in the Residential Section, but I can't get in no matter what I do. I've spoken to the Legendary Smitemaster.

11-26-2005 at 05:42 PM
cheese obsessive
Chaco wrote:
Odd. I can't figure out how to get to the Eyeballington brothers. I can see them in the Residential Section, but I can't get in no matter what I do. I've spoken to the Legendary Smitemaster.

You don't need to get to them. I am currently updating the hold to supply another hint...so I am just going to PM you the hint.
11-26-2005 at 06:22 PM
Chaco
All done. Now I'm bored :P

11-27-2005 at 12:26 AM
cheese obsessive
Geo!

Well, sorry about procrastinating for the past few weeks, I just haven't really had much time I could devote to building a hold. But I can't quite figure out how you mean to make the raft move when I move...You are pretty much a scripting prodigy, so how do you suggest doing it? O_o
12-23-2005 at 11:48 PM
geomatrx
hey cheese,

glad you will still be working on your hold.

with the raft idea, i started to re-think about this yesterday. it is possible to make the raft move only when you move if you completly enclose the raft so beethro cannot move out of it, and you the "wait for play" script for every turn down and to the right of the screen.

Obviously a bit of tedious scripting needs to be done (and releative scripting would be very nice here :))

I'll try to finish the script soon and email it to you. see what you think.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
12-28-2005 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Actually, you need to make it a 4x2 rectangle, like so:
WWWW
WB.W
WWWW

That way, Beethro can move and trigger the wubbas to move east, Beethro can move and trigger the wubbas to move east, etc.

12-28-2005 at 02:51 PM
geomatrx
Chaco wrote:
Actually, you need to make it a 4x2 rectangle, like so:
WWWW
WB.W
WWWW

That way, Beethro can move and trigger the wubbas to move east, Beethro can move and trigger the wubbas to move east, etc.
The problem with this is that Beethro can have his sword pointing North, prevent the wubbas from moving and escape the raft (defeating the object of enclosing him)
WWWSW      WWWBW
 W.BW   >   W..W
 WWWW       WWWW

My idea is along this line:
 WWWWW
WW---WW
W-----W
W-:::-W
W-:::-W
WW---WW
 WWWWW

The ":" are where Beethro needs to be for the wubbas to move down. If Beethro moves off these and to the rafts edge, the Wubbas will not move again untill he moves back to the rafts centre.

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 12-28-2005 03:09 PM]
12-28-2005 at 03:08 PM
Chaco
Perfect. The only problem is that it takes up a lot of space, but it's still not that bad if it's only for plot purposes.

12-28-2005 at 09:35 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Now, I don't know anything about scripting, but would something like this also work?
WWWWW
W   W
W x W
W   W
WWWWW
Beethro stands on the x, and points his sword in the direction he wants to go. Or, points his sword in the direction the wubbas want to go. Or something. Might take a little less space, buts its probably more confusing. Geomatrix's idea probably works better.
12-28-2005 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
TripleM wrote:
Now, I don't know anything about scripting, but would something like this also work?
WWWWW
W   W
W x W
W   W
WWWWW
Beethro stands on the x, and points his sword in the direction he wants to go. Or, points his sword in the direction the wubbas want to go. Or something. Might take a little less space, buts its probably more confusing. Geomatrix's idea probably works better.
I looked at this possibility also. Again, you will encounter a problem. As you move on the centre square, the Wubba's will advance one tile down. If you place Beetho's sword north, the raft will break:
WWWWW         W
W S W       WWSWW
W B W   >   W B W
W   W       W . W
WWWWW       W   W
            WWWWW 

I suppose this could still work if you had the script square at the bottom of the Wubbas:
WWWWW
W   W
W   W
W x W
WWWWW

I suppose it depends what shape the raft should be :)

MetDROiD Echoes
12-28-2005 at 11:47 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Well, the idea was to have beethro point his sword in the direction he wants to go, that way you'd never have that problem. On the other hand, I vaguely remember someone saying it was hard to do a script depending on which way the sword was facing. As I said, I know nothing.
12-29-2005 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
OK. While waiting for a reply from geo about that dastardly raft, I worked on another section that I amused myself with immensely. Hopefully it will be ready for testing tonight or tomorrow. I am in the middle of some stupid AIM crisis, so I can't DROD right now. BAH.
01-09-2006 at 01:36 AM
cheese obsessive
NEW VERSION UPLOADED!

All of you testers that don't have access to the caravelNet beta board, please PM me your email address so I can send you the hold file seperately. Thanks!
01-09-2006 at 03:15 AM
geomatrx
Hi Cheese,

I've tested your new level "Voat". Here are my findings:

The Voat:

2N3E
Room possible without trapping the mimic with the orbs that close the gate.
3E

I've emailed you a fix for this.

Some of these rooms and some nice concepts (appearing golemns and fake walls)

Hope you have more later.

g

MetDROiD Echoes

[Last edited by geomatrx at 01-14-2006 03:10 PM]
01-14-2006 at 03:08 PM
cheese obsessive
icon Re: An adventure. (+2)  
ANOTHER NEW VERSION!

2 new areas added. Check those out. PLEASE tell me what you think of those puzzles in Reichderschaben. They took me a really long time to make, and I think they're different, fun, and cool-looking. I have plenty more ideas that I still didn't build yet, so that isn't the whole level yet. And the "Flasher" design isn't done yet. (What you see there so far took me 3 days. O_o) If you have any ideas about how to improve the existing puzzles there, then please tell me. I know some of them can be made harder...like, can you do "The Zipper" in fewer moves?...Can you do "The inverting square" from an East or West sword orientation? Can you restrict the walkable area of any of those puzzles? Let me know.

And also, if you can't tell me who that is in Salmonella, then you have a problem. Or perhaps I do. If you can't figure that out, then please tell me, and I might change it.

Again, if you want to test, and don't have access to the Beta Boards, just PM me your email address so I can send it to you.
01-31-2006 at 12:52 AM
Chaco
You're forgetting someone. Namely, me. I need a new copy.

01-31-2006 at 01:16 AM
geomatrx
cheese obsessive wrote:
ANOTHER NEW VERSION!

Thanks cheese. I'll have a copy please (as always) :w00t

Just a general question. How much of your hold do you think you have completed? Just asking to benchmark when I should release my new hold to be beta tested. However, I think I might make this closed testing to a few of you here.

g

MetDROiD Echoes
01-31-2006 at 11:53 AM
cheese obsessive
geomatrx wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
ANOTHER NEW VERSION!

Thanks cheese. I'll have a copy please (as always) :w00t

Just a general question. How much of your hold do you think you have completed? Just asking to benchmark when I should release my new hold to be beta tested. However, I think I might make this closed testing to a few of you here.

g

I'd guess probably about 33%. I still have to map and storyline the goblin city, finish the wubba raft, map and storyline 3 more areas in the fortress, and create my final room, which I will leave a secret for right now. Because I had a good idea. You can look at it, and probably have an idea of what it might be, but I don't want too many people knowing it right now. :D It's a slow process, mainly because I lack free time, and I really should be preparing for college instead, but that can wait. O_o
02-01-2006 at 02:48 AM
cheese obsessive
*sigh*....just in case anyone has been wondering what's up and why I haven't really been here in the past few weeks...

I hae been really busy throughout the last month, because winter drumline season started, and I am part of both my high school drumline, and a local college drumline, so I haven't really had much time for anything else. Also, I still need to practice piano for college auditions and the such.

And the most exciting thing is that I just got a (rediculously awesome) girlfriend, without even trying, really. And she can drive. So we drive around a lot, and spend most of our free time together. Yeah, I'm a loser, and I just discovered the real world.

And no, this doesn't mean I have updated my hold recently, because of my lack of time. I will probably try to resume afer drumline season ends at the end of March. So anyone waiting for another update is probably going to have to wait another month or so. Unless, of course, you want to do the updating yourself....O_o
03-12-2006 at 12:57 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
And the most exciting thing is that I just got a (rediculously awesome) girlfriend, without even trying,
Good on yer! I could do with some of the same. I need someone who is stunning looking, rich, preferably with her own palatial home, intelligent, funny, laid back, and doesn't mind a man who likes to go to the pub for a few hours each day. She'd probably need to be a widow/divorcee/single too coz I can't fight. So, anyone got a gran who fits the bill?
03-12-2006 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Heyyy. Believe it or not, I actually have a little bit of free time for a few months now. So with TCB released, I decided I should (finally) get a move on with this hold taking advantage of some of the new scripting elements I wished for to make construction a lot easier. So if anyone is around and wants to test this once I re-do all of my scripting thusfar. Might take me a little while, but I am just announcing that I will be posting a new version shortly.
04-17-2007 at 01:56 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Nice. Can't wait to see it.
04-17-2007 at 02:39 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Sounds fun!

04-17-2007 at 07:37 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : An adventure. (Because I suck at real holds.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com