Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: a quick rant (+1)  
Krishh wrote
The human species is different form animals in one fundamental way: I belong to it. Inspecies fighting, whie popular in the animal kingdom too, should not be. (possible intelligent aliens would be a whle new can of worms though)

And I try not to enforce my views on the world on others. You can be a vegetarian if you want, but don't prtend you are so morally superior because of it.
I'm not pretending in any way that I am morally superior to anyone since morality is (in my opinion) something personal rather than something absolute. However I like this kind of argument, and although I think that what you say is very honest I also find it inconsistent. Basically what you say is that cruelty is granted due to differences. You identify yourself with human beeings, and thus others cruelty towards humans is something you find wrong and unacepteble. What you (in my opinion) fail to see is that every living creature is unique. Thus this "I belong to it" attitude is very relative. You could just as well say that cruelty is ok as long as it is directed towards beeings (including humans) with an IQ lower than 100 because you yourself belong to and identify yourself with the other group (or as long as it's directed towards people of different opinions than yourself, or... etc.). What I mean is that this probably is exactly the kind of argument Hittler used.

Well... I realize I might sound like a mad fanatic, so I end here. I DO think that people have the right to belive what they want, but I don't have to be of the same opinion and I don't hurt anybody by saying so.
10-15-2005 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: a quick rant (0)  
What I mean is that this probably is exactly the kind of argument Hittler used.

Well... I realize I might sound like a mad fanatic

I'm calling this one on the basis of Godwin's Law.

Basically, making a Hitler comparison is usually inevitable in heated arguments, and a good sign that the discussion probably won't be useful past this point.

So, what else gets one's goat? Overbearing administrators? This smilie? :glasses

Let us know!

10-15-2005 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Well, I would also like to mention, that the goal of said cruelty, food, allows for a lot more violence than most. You allow animals to be killed for your food too, just less. (If you didn't read that link and in case you somehow didn't know, millions of animals die every year under combine harvesters and due to pest control for the plants people eat) As Erik said, I like being at the top of the food chain. I do oppose cruelty to animals for purposes like hunting for sport, cosmetic research, fur and other pointless stuff humans could easily live without. Food and medical reserch we could not live without.
Bonus points to you for the 'That's just what Hitler would have said.' I guess I would earn an about 50-90% Certificate of Hitlertude for that. :)

Edit: Matt beat me to that. Yeah, I guess we should stop this argument right about now. This was after all a topic for rants, not arguments.

[Last edited by Krishh at 10-15-2005 12:59 PM]
10-15-2005 at 12:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ohh gee :blush Well... actually what I said was not meant as criticism. Please ignore that last sentence of my argument. It was kind of cliché and could possibly offend. Anyway it isn´t at all necessery and probably just weakens my point. By the way I too am guilty of caring more about groups I feel I can identify myself with, so I would earn that certificate too :) It's only natural.

Well... to rant I could just say that I hate trying to write in english. Makes me feel like half of my power to express myself instantly goes away.
10-15-2005 at 03:27 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Wow, intriguing. Extremes aside, I think Blondbeard's idea has logical merit. I would rephrase his train of thought thusly:
If I belong to some group, and therefore support this group while endorsing attacks on other distinct groups for no other reason than that they do not belong to my group, then I am prejudiced or a racist.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-15-2005 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
Woah. I just thought of something that REALLY annoys me. All of you people who are so gleefull about playing JTRH. Why? Because I still have not purchased my copy. This means that I can't join in the fun and talk all about it. While you may try to make a case for this being my fault...I disagree. How could anyone think that, just because I haven't sprung for it yet, I shouldn't be allowed to play? :angry

oh well. guess what I'm buying on monday! :jumpy

if I don't..... :blowup

[Last edited by Chalks at 10-16-2005 03:26 AM]
10-16-2005 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
ErikH2000 wrote:
I can't stand people that don't take responsibility for their own actions and have to blame it on other things like the country they live in!

(Buddy, you are master of your own mouth and what goes in it. Nobody makes you eat crap. Oh, except the organizers of school outings that herd you into a McDonalds. Yeah, I remember how that worked. Okay, maybe you have a point.)

Cheese is wonderful even though I am probably not "obsessive". My favorite place for cheese is England, because there's this huge selection of mild cheeses to choose from. Here it's like cheddar, colby, few others. There it's red leicester, stinky bishop, worcestorfordshire, brimleytonshonwhatever, and so on, and so on. And it all tastes good on a sandwich. Mmmmm.... cheese...

-Erik

...but you can't deny that is is really easy to obtain food in America. I usually eat healthier during meals, but my issue is still snacking between them. I just can't get myself to stop. I am not saying, "IT IS AMERICA'S FAULT I GOT FAT." I am saying, "IT IS REALLY EASY TO OBTAIN FOOD IN A FREE MARKET ECONOMY, AND I TEND TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THAT." Just thought I had to clarify. :D

You have pretty much given me my new life quest: Go to England and try out the cheese there. YAY ERIK!
10-16-2005 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I can tell from experience that trick gets annoyed by people who use the wrong word multpile times. :) Litlle inside joke there.

This list may get a bit long and boring. Watch out for all you rant-haters out there.

- I can't stand people who conform simply for the sake of "not being different". We are all different, weird, sometimes even clinically insane like I've been called, but be thankful for it. When you being yourself, that's how people get to know who you really are the best. Just like last week at work - some customer threw a balloon on my counter at one point, and halfway through I told someone else "You know, I should draw a face on there!". I did. Half the people who worked with me thought I was insane, but I didn't care. Be happy that you're weird!

-People (Mostly teenagers) who are afraid to be seen with their parents. That has honestly got to be the stupidest thing I had ever heard. Think about what your parents have given you and are still giving you - food, shelter, clothing, vehicles. What reason on earth would you have to be ashamed to be seen with them? Just suck it up and admit that your parents are cool. Yes, they are. Don't deny it.

-I really can't stand bad drivers who get mad at you for following the actual rules of the road, and there are a lot in my town. The example I always use is this one: I was in therightmost left-turn lane, and there was someone else right beside me. I was driving into the furthest lane from the centre, and the guy in front of me just pulls ahead and then decided to look cool and show me one of his fingers, although I can't remember which one it was... Point is - learn how to drive, you maniacs!

-Someone mentioned this earlier, but people who marry/date/are friends with others simply because of looks. I don't think I need to expand on that.

-Friends dissing other friends. That just ain't cool.

-Apathetic people.

-People who type 71|<3 7|-|15.

10-17-2005 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Chalks wrote:
children under the age of 14 (or thereabouts) who date other children. They have no business becoming romanticaly involved at such a young age. Also, the parents who allow this bother me too.

Ha. You should have known someone would argue against this. I am 13 and I have a girlfriend. Her parents were originally not going to let her date until she was 16 but they changed their minds thankfully.

I could see why you think that kids under 14 shouldn't date though. Last year in 7th grade I went to a school where relationships were started all the time but usually ended in 2 days, sometimes 2 weeks if they were lucky. I am really not kidding about this.

I knew this one guy that went out with this one girl for a day, and that was it. No kidding. I had a girlfriend that year. We started going out in September and I just broke up with her, making it one full year, it was probably a record for that school.

What I really hate is adults that think that listening to ipods and watching T.V. is all that teenagers do.

10-17-2005 at 01:18 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
forrestfire wrote:
What I really hate is adults that think that listening to ipods and watching T.V. is all that teenagers do.

Yeah, you also post on forums when you should be doing your homework! :P :P :P

Oh, and I KNOW I said I wouldn't mention it again, but I just have to point out to Krishh that even though I've not eaten animals for 10 years, I'm still eating well, and am not going hungry :P

Kudos to Blondbeard, and Mike for clarifying the point I agree with.

And now I'll definitely shutup, so we can concentrate on moaning about overbearing administrators! :lol

[Last edited by jamie at 10-17-2005 03:59 AM]
10-17-2005 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
I just can't STAND overbearing administrators!!!!!11!1!!!!eleven

I'm glad I got that out of my system.

10-17-2005 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Yes, let us all moan about overbearing administrators:

If you are stimulated by new ideas and if you can think for yourself rather than simply accept what overbearing administrators dish out, I think you will find this letter of interest. Although not without overlap and simplification, I plan to identify three primary positions on overbearing administrators' hijinks. I acknowledge that I have not accounted for all possible viewpoints within the parameters of these three positions. Nevertheless, overbearing administrators contend that anyone who resists them deserves to be crushed. Excuse me, but where exactly did this little factoid come from? If some people are offended by my mentioning that overbearing administrators confuse demagoguery with leadership and undocumented conspiracism with serious research, then so be it. Overbearing administrators yield to the mammalian desire to assert individuality by attracting attention. Unfortunately, for overbearing administrators, "attract attention" usually implies "make us the helpless puppets of our demographic labels". Overbearing administrators have it all wrong; they recently claimed that embracing a system of neopaganism will make everything right with the world. I would have found this comment shocking had I not heard similar garbage from them a hundred times before.

One of the overbearing administrators' favorite tricks is to create a problem and then to offer the solution. Naturally, it's always its solutions that grant it the freedom to recruit and encourage young people to twist my words six ways for Sunday, just as older drug dealers use young kids to push drugs, never the original problem. Overbearing administrators need to step out of the dark ages. Let's remember that. Overbearing administrators are not just insensitive. They are unbelievably, astronomically insensitive. Although I agree with those who contend that this makes the issue an even greater tragedy, nevertheless, I cannot agree with the subject matter and attitude that is woven into every one of our overbearing administrators' belligerent, despicable deeds. You, of course, now need some hard evidence that most of the overbearing administrators' shell games are slanted in the same ideological fashion, with large amounts of emotional exaggeration and general ignorance. Well, how about this for evidence: The worst types of dour drug lords there are are born, not made. That dictum is as unimpeachable as the "poeta nascitur, non fit" that it echoes and as irreproachable as the brocard that there isn't a man, woman, or child alive today who thinks that overbearing administrators have the authority to issue licenses for practicing libertinism, so let's toss out that ridiculous argument of overbearing administrators' from the get-go. Before you read this letter, you might have thought that black is white and night is day. Now you know that you should never be impressed by positions or titles but only by honorable deeds.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-17-2005 07:28 AM : Grammar]
10-17-2005 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
A bit of stuff I can't stand:

- Stereotypes in a serious discussion. Jokes are fine (we've got plenty of those here in Scandinavia), but it's really annoying when you're in the middle of talking about something at least semi-seriously, and someone drops a stereotype in the middle of it. Especially when they retract it shortly after with a "relax, only joking". If you don't mean what you say, why waste everyone's time?

- People who don't use punctuation correctly simply because they're lazy. If you find it difficult, that's fine, but at least try.

- Close-minded people. Having an opinion is fine. Thinking everyone else is wrong is also fine. Refusing to listen to other people isn't.

- Slightly related: internet mindreaders. The kind of people who apparently think they're able to understand the full extent of people's motivations based only on a few posts on a message board. Particularly annyoing (and common) in political threads.

Actually, the topic I mostly feel like ranting about is society's treatment of sexuality (which ties in to the stereotype thing), but I think I'll skip that one since this is a family-friendly forum.

10-17-2005 at 05:56 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I was very amused to read this thread for the first time today given that just yesterday I was discussing my vegetarianism with a few friends. I said that one of the few things that really annoyed me was that as soon as I mention I'm vegetarian to someone they automatically take moral umbrage and start challenging me.
Without fail (of course this does not apply to other vegetarians).
Now...
1. I don't go around challenging everyone I know who eats meat. Why is it a kneejerk reaction to attack my point of view. I'm not forcing it on anyone, and I'm not taking the moral highground.
2. They are arguing against my decision *not* to do something. I find that odd. If people started taking issue with everything people *weren't* doing, we'd never stop arguing. Surely it makes sense to actively defend something you're actively doing, rather than the other way round.
3. They invariably say something like: "it's natural", "what are your canines for, then?" "what are animals there for, if not to be eaten?" None of which I can honestly consider as legitimate questions (outside of the book of Genesis)
4. Arguments invariably get worse then that (e.g. "what if chickens want to be eaten?" "what if plants feel pain?") and they end up resorting to: "Well, you don't know what you're missing out on". Which, actually, I do. Since I've not always been a vegetarian. Well, thanks for looking out for me!

More ranting to come soon!

10-19-2005 at 08:56 PM
Mattcrampy
Heh, I used to be like that. I got over that after making comments among those lines, in a vegetarian restaurant, to a vegetarian, who replies that he's more concerned about the meat industry's business practices than anything else. Shut me right up.

Actually, I'm still sometimes like that. Even though I think vegetarians get a pretty raw deal, considering there's plenty of really delicious things you can make that aren't structured around meat.

10-19-2005 at 09:57 PM
jamie
:lol Jacob, I don't know where you are in the world, but it does seem that the reactions to veggies is universal!

10-20-2005 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: a quick rant (+3)  
I'm angry because

- if you drive as rules say, others consider you not just an idiot, but also a traitor, malcontent, whiner etc. This shouldn't bother me too much, because I very rarely use a car, but going somewhere by foot is perhaps even more dangerous. Drivers not stopping at zebras are common sight. They often force you to jump back and get out of their way (green light).
My mother had a car accident nearly 50 years ago. On top of that, it was green light and small town. There was probably more horses than cars there at the time. I know for sure there were two smiths.

- Magic: the Gathering costs as much as it costs. And (official) online gaming service is just as expensive (!!), if not more. From what I hear you pay for each booster (for those who don't know, 15 RANDOM cards, 1 rare 3 uncommon). Many clans exist just to borrow virtual cards.

- there are no laws against littering in Poland. Trash bins remain pretty much empty.

- have less and less free time. It seems I'll have to work 2 hours more daily just to pay the bills.

- "paintbrush" is all that people can say about a badger.

- eytanz can't spell my nickname. It's just like borsuk except that o is replaced with 0. Hope that helps.

- there's no name for counter-vegetarianism. My father would happily fill entire fridge with meat (and probably smear it onto bread instead of butter) if no one kept an eye on him. No, it's not funny.

- ...of Microsoft business practices

- polish politics is total disaster, they just blame each other to hide the fact they've got no program. Scandals no longer shock anyone. Furthermore, people are confused if there's no scandal for a while. Percent of participaton (voting) is very, very low. And a total jerk hovers around 10%. If he got the power, we'd become second Belarus.
By the way, I've never voted despite being 21 years old. You don't want to if each choice is bad.
At least it's not as bad as in Russia, where people are completely apathetic about politics and are convinced they can't change anything. At least that's how it looks from my perspective.

- no one PM'ed me to point out grammar errors.

- Heroes5 doesn't look so hot anymore. And it will come with lots of crapware (programs that run in background to slow everything down and turn your computer into Belarus under excuse of copy protection)

- I'm probably not going to make it with another C program. It has to be finished by Saturday, I don't remember much of C, and syntax errors are going to screw me)

- download link for Knoppix64 doesn't work. I won't be able to use it when I visit my friend on monday.

- Kubuntu amd64 livecd failed to boot my friend's machine and made me look silly

- 0,9999(9) = 1. That just sucks. Such a waste of nines.

- 1/0 doesn't equal infinity and no one tells me why

- I can't type and eat at the same time

- I haven't heard (good) new music in a loong time.

- Kubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger) has no splash screen/wallpaper wit h badger. There are no badgers at all !

- JTRH doesn't let me use custom character graphics. I had to abandon a cool storyline for my hold.

-there's no technology for flexible game world in 3d games. Worms3d was awful, by the way. 2D is the only way to make world flexible.

-there will be no slavic-like nation in Dominions3. I'll have to mod one myself.

-the wheel was patented around 2003 or so. Circular transportation device.

-it's hard to find a fantasy-themed game with non-manga non-anime 3d graphics.

- There was an annual Celtic Culture Festival (lots of music). It was common to see bands from outside my country, including UK/Ireland/Scotland, Estonia, Lithuania, France, Spain (I think), and more .And the town's officials canceled it. Lack of funds, lack of taste. It's probably gone forever now.

To be continued

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-20-2005 at 09:14 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
B0rsuk, I give you the award for best ranter. It is my understanding that badgers are natural curmudgeons, and act like cranky old men immediately after they emerge from their mother's womb. :thumbsup

-Erik

10-20-2005 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
ErikH2000 wrote:
B0rsuk, I give you the award for best ranter. It is my understanding that badgers are natural curmudgeons, and act like cranky old men immediately after they emerge from their mother's womb. :thumbsup

-Erik

It's a complete coincidence, but borsuk is a (mostly forgotten) polish name for a loner/sociopath. This comes from a fact that badgers are very elusive and are about as hard to see as beavers. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little. But no one cared enough to check that badgers are pro-family animals.
And I give you an award for most confusing last name

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 10-20-2005 09:34 PM]
10-20-2005 at 09:31 PM
Mattcrampy
Why, it's just like 'Herman's on' with an 'e' instead of the 'o'. :D

10-20-2005 at 10:03 PM
jamie
Nice one b0rsuk (is careful to spell it correctly!)

Some FreeBSD live CD's (not native amd64, but will work on that platform!)

http://www.freesbie.org/
http://frenzy.org.ua/eng/

And... I thought 1/0 DID equal infinity ?

10-20-2005 at 11:09 PM
b0rsuk
1/0 = infinity ? But they keep telling us we're not supposed to divide by 0. And certainly NO ONE ever explicitely said to me that it equals infinity. It was just my guess.

Oh, I know how to spell it, but it keeps confusing people into thinking Erik is from Sweden. I thought so originally, and later it confused some JTRH/DROD reviewers. At least one review said Caraval is Swedish company.

10-21-2005 at 08:14 AM
Mattcrampy
I just wanted to make the Peewee Herman joke, really.

10-21-2005 at 09:05 AM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
b0rsuk wrote:
I'm angry because
- polish politics is total disaster, they just blame each other to hide the fact they've got no program. Scandals no longer shock anyone. Furthermore, people are confused if there's no scandal for a while. Percent of participaton (voting) is very, very low. And a total jerk hovers around 10%. If he got the power, we'd become second Belarus.
What can one expect when two of the most popular politicians in the country are identical twins that look like the short loser guy from "King of Queens"?

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,grossbild-525481-378418,00.html

-leroy

P.S. As far as I know, Belarus is known in English only as White Russia. Or is that not correct?

[Last edited by leroy00 at 10-21-2005 01:07 PM]
10-21-2005 at 10:31 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: a quick rant (+2)  
b0rsuk wrote:
- eytanz can't spell my nickname. It's just like borsuk except that o is replaced with 0. Hope that helps.

Oops, sorry about that. I guess I should practice. Lets see:

Borusk

No, that's wrong.

Boru5k

Hmmm... Better, but not quite there yet.

BOrusk

Well, right letter, but I don't seem to be getting it quite right yet...

Percival Roddenberry the 3rd

Huh? Where did that come from?

B8rusk

Nope, still not quite right...

80ru5k

Oops - I think I went too far with that one!

B0rusk

Yay! I did it! I now know how to spell B0rusk's nickname, and I promise I'll do it right from now on!

10-21-2005 at 11:50 AM
b0rsuk
leroy00 wrote:
What can one expect when two of the most popular politicians in the country are identical twins that look like the short looser guy from "King of Queens"?

P.S. As far as I know, Belarus is known in English only as White Russia. Or is that not correct?
Warning - because my brother is total jerk special polish characters don't work for me

1. They actually played in a children movie few decades ago. "O dwoch takich, co ukradli ksiezyc" (roughly "Two people who stole the moon").

2. In polish, bialy = white, rus = older name not for russia, but for lands east from Poland (roughly). On the other hand, wikipedia says in case of Belarus it was actually shortcut of Russia. Belarussia was the original (westernized) spelling. Later they changed it to cut away references to USSR.

10-21-2005 at 01:12 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Belarus is still called Biélorussie in French, though I doubt most people could actually say anything about the country (well, beyond "probably close to Russia", or something to that effect).
10-21-2005 at 01:20 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
Well, in Latvian, Russia is Krievija, and Belarus is Baltkrievija. (balts-white) So, yeah, it's White Russia. And oddly enough, even though it actually borders Latvia, I still don't know much about it, save that I know full well where it is, and it's capitol. You just never hear much about it, it's just there.
10-21-2005 at 08:23 PM
Strabo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
b0rsuk wrote:
1/0 = infinity ? But they keep telling us we're not supposed to divide by 0. And certainly NO ONE ever explicitely said to me that it equals infinity. It was just my guess.

1/0 does not equal infinity.

It is undefined. It is not a meanigful thing to say. You can no more divide a number by zero than you can move a knight in chess like a queen, and for the same reason: It is against the rules.

In fact, is doesn't make sense to say that _anything_ is equal to infinity. Inifnity is not a number, it's a concept. The closest you can get to that is to say that:

1+2+3+4+... tends to inifnity as the length of the sequancy tends to infinity.

/End rant

10-22-2005 at 12:23 AM
mrimer
eytanz wrote:
B0rusk

Yay! I did it! I now know how to spell B0rusk's nickname, and I promise I'll do it right from now on!
This is hilarious. Is this end a joke? :lol

10-22-2005 at 07:31 AM
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : a quick rant (hey, just let it out right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com