Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death (0)  
Trapdoors won't be used because guard NPCs don't drop them when they step off them.

-Erik

10-06-2005 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I bid 3

I wish that man would stay away
10-06-2005 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Great idea for a contest!
And yes, I will participate this time. I bid 2 kills.

I normally enjoy just following the contests and discussions on the board (my current job does not allow me much time to do otherwise, and at home my cursor is strongly drawn towards the DROD icon instead of the Firefox icon :P ) but me likes this board-game! (pun intended)

10-06-2005 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RuAdam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 157
Sounds great, so count me in, and I bid 2 kills.

[Last edited by RuAdam at 10-06-2005 10:42 AM]
10-06-2005 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DelverDom
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Hmmm...I bid 1.

10-06-2005 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+2)  
I'm in and I bid 3 kills
10-07-2005 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+2)  
Sign me in too.

Okay, I already am in. So? Surely, you can sign me twice at least, giving me much higher odds of survival? Please?
10-07-2005 at 01:35 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Stephen4Louise wrote:
I'm in and I bid 3 kills

Hey! Welcome finally to the boards! I've seen you all over the high score tables for a while now. Hope you stick around!

10-07-2005 at 06:50 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
ErikH2000 wrote:
Trapdoors won't be used because guard NPCs don't drop them when they step off them.

-Erik

Mimic NPCs do however, no? If trapdoors were used it would still be possible to place them such that players will not be trapped.

10-07-2005 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
I change mine to 2

uh Can you make a double thread?
ex 7,w,9,2,6
if blocked on 9 move 8,4,9

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 10-07-2005 08:37 PM]
10-07-2005 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Mimic NPCs do however, no? If trapdoors were used it would still be possible to place them such that players will not be trapped.
Hmm. I'll look at mimics later and decide if I want to use them instead.

-Erik

10-07-2005 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Just so nobody is surprised...

The deadline for bidding and entering is coming up quick. You only have until Local Time:10-08-2005 at 01:00 AM which is negative 967 weeks, 5 days away.

Tomorrow I'll post the first hold with some instructions on submitting commands. I'll try to have it up by Local Time:10-09-2005 at 01:00 AM. Commands for the first cycle will be due by Local Time:10-10-2005 at 01:00 AM. I'm going to try to stick to the same deadlines each day, so you'll always have at least 24 hours to see the updated hold and submit commands, and there will be a deadline every 2 days. Any time you see in my posts uses code to show it adjusted for your timezone, so you may want check you profile to make sure your timezone is set correctly.

Don't worry about deadlines being while you are asleep or busy. There is no advantage to seeing holds or submitting commands earlier.

-Erik

10-07-2005 at 09:00 PM
ErikH2000
The spitemaster wrote:
I change mine to 2
Spitemaster, you can't bid lower than your original 3. You can only go up, so your bid remains 3.
uh Can you make a double thread?
ex 7,w,9,2,6
if blocked on 9 move 8,4,9
No, when you issue your commands you only give 5 commands. Sometimes you will just have bad luck and your path will get screwed up by obstacles.

EDIT: I said the opposite of what I meant in 1st sentence. Now it's corrected.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-07-2005 11:25 PM]
10-07-2005 at 11:24 PM
VortexSurfer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 90
I bid 3.

VortexSurfer
10-07-2005 at 11:38 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...Eh, I'll bid 1.
10-07-2005 at 11:39 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
:-O

If I count right, that's 55 entrants. Technically, everyone could fit in one room. That's gonna be a tight fit though! I'm very curious to see how this is going to play out. And woe to Erik's in-box! ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 10-07-2005 11:42 PM]
10-07-2005 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin
Rank Points: 262
I'm in. I'll bid 0.
10-08-2005 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
I'm in with a 0 bid.
10-08-2005 at 12:37 AM
Leus
Rank Points: 204
This is going to be chaotic..

10-08-2005 at 01:04 AM
ErikH2000
Okay, the deadline is up. No more bids and no more entrants. Here are the final results for sequence placement:

#1  4 StuartK
#2  4 md5i
#3  3 Abbyzzmal
#4  3 Alneyan
#5  3 Muiff
#6  3 HopelessAmateur
#7  3 The Spitemaster
#8  3 StephenForLouise
#9  3 VortexSurfer
#10 2 Rabscuttle
#11 2 Oneiromancer
#12 2 TripleM
#13 2 ClaytonW
#14 2 Malarame
#15 2 Yellow_Mage
#16 2 bradwall
#17 2 Krishh
#18 2 Jacob
#19 2 RubellaGolda
#20 2 RuAdam
#21 1 Schik
#22 1 Leus
#23 1 Mattcrampy
#24 1 trick
#25 1 Andy101
#26 1 Tim
#27 1 DelverDom
#28 1 Banjooie
#29 0 stigant
#30 0 larrymurk
#31 0 eytanZ
#32 0 RoboBob3000
#33 0 Doom
#34 0 worm
#35 0 gamer_extreme_101
#36 0 NekoIncardine
#37 0 Korgath
#38 0 Nillo
#39 0 Znirk
#40 0 KevG
#41 0 zaubberer
#42 0 Jeff_Ray
#43 0 Svante
#44 0 leroy00
#45 0 wallu
#46 0 MeckMeck GRE
#47 0 vylycyn
#48 0 cheese obsessive
#49 0 Penumbra
#50 0 agaricus5
#51 0 bdwing
#52 0 forrestfire
#53 0 techant
#54 0 Someone Else
#55 0 Crazy Ivan
#56 0 Kevin
#57 0 Mouse

57 players!

Please doublecheck that I got your bid and placement right. A quick way to do it is:
1. Make sure I got your bid count right. Note that if you didn't bid, your bid count is "0" by default.
2. Of all the people whose final bid matched your's, find the chronological order of your post, and make sure it matches what I have above.

I'll listen to corrections for placement until right before the deadline tomorrow. Once the first board is released, any mistakes I made are set in stone, so please check.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-08-2005 02:05 AM]
10-08-2005 at 01:13 AM
ErikH2000
Now that the bidding is over, I'm curious about people's strategies. Speaking for myself, I think if I was in the top half of the zero-bidders, I probably would have stayed with a zero bid. But in the bottom half, I think I would have bid 1 to buy my way into the middle class.

It remains to be seen how important an early placement in the turn sequence is. We know, for example, that if you are #33, you definitely don't want to come to a rest next to #32's sword after your 5th command. But planning with precision what will happen over 5 moves will be impossible. I think that low-sequenced people just have an extra bullet in the gun--a little bit more bad luck. Sequencing would only change how you play when you manage to start right next to another player on your first command, and even then, the low-sequenced player will know to get out of the way.

All of the above, I say without any inside information. It's just my speculation based on what's in the rules now.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 01:23 AM
Leus
Rank Points: 204
I acutally like it where I am in the listing, even though I bid one kill. You wanna just leave me at zero? I'm good with that.

10-08-2005 at 01:45 AM
The spitemaster
Can you also post a list saying where each person is acording to their rank number(where he is on the map? I would like to know sothat I can try to avoid people higher than me+ a list of current standings(number of kills)

10-08-2005 at 01:58 AM
ErikH2000
Leus wrote:
I acutally like it where I am in the listing, even though I bid one kill. You wanna just leave me at zero? I'm good with that.
Oops, I missed your 1 bid. I'm sorry, Leus, I have to keep your original bid. If it's any consolation, you got a lot of value for your bid of 1, since you were the 2nd person to bid it.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 02:07 AM
ErikH2000
The spitemaster wrote:
Can you also post a list saying where each person is acording to their rank number(where he is on the map? I would like to know sothat I can try to avoid people higher than me+ a list of current standings(number of kills)
Yeah, you should be able to see it on the room view once you have the hold.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 02:11 AM
ErikH2000

File: Smite to the Death.hold (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 108 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, here's the board. Early, even! This should give you something to chew on.

Your position can be determined from the sequence in the list above, i.e. The Spitemaster is #7. Don't send me any commands yet. I want to wait for people to correct me on any mistakes I made in the sequencing. And also I'm going to explain a few more things before we begin the game.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-08-2005 03:18 AM]
10-08-2005 at 02:52 AM
md5i
Rank Points: 109
Is there a reason #57's sword position is inconsistant with all others who being in corners?

Also, I assume there will be rules for what happens when getting trapped in the trapdoors?

10-08-2005 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
md5i wrote:
Is there a reason #57's sword position is inconsistant with all others who being in corners?
No good reason. I just fixed it and reuploaded the attachment.
Also, I assume there will be rules for what happens when getting trapped in the trapdoors?
Well, sure, but I haven't thought them out entirely. For stalemate situations I reserve the right to reposition people or drop them into a new arena altogether.

-Erik

10-08-2005 at 03:20 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Any rules for deaths by bomb? Do they count as anyone's kill?

10-08-2005 at 04:53 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
That's a tough one. We'll be able to tell who lights a fuse, so they could get credit. And directly stabbing a bomb could get you credit for those who are caught in the blast, but you get a penalty for "suicide" as well. Or if you get caught in a bomb blast, you lost points but whoever lit it doesn't gain any. I don't like that one as much, even though it is fairer (it doesn't make those who start near fuses get that much of a bonus advantage).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-08-2005 at 05:07 AM
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com