Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smite to the Death (0)  
vittro wrote:
Please i wanna partecipate!!! How i can go multiplayer? Internet? There are a DROD : MULTIPLAYER? I want partecipate please!
Well, there doesn't currently exist a "real" DROD multiplayer game -- this contest is kind of like a play by mail game where everyone posts their moves, and then the board is manually updated. I think it'll still be fun, though. In any case, read the first post for details :)

- Gerry
10-05-2005 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
trick wrote:
vittro wrote:
Please i wanna partecipate!!! How i can go multiplayer? Internet? There are a DROD : MULTIPLAYER? I want partecipate please!
Well, there doesn't currently exist a "real" DROD multiplayer game -- this contest is kind of like a play by mail game where everyone posts their moves, and then the board is manually updated. I think it'll still be fun, though. In any case, read the first post for details :)

- Gerry

:( Its fun but a drod multiplayer ... I think its best MSN or ICQ , email its too boring

10-05-2005 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I will bit 1 for now.
10-05-2005 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
A idea :

When you die (lets say in turn 2). You will respwan in turn 3 after all have moved. Your new position will be showed on the game board.
Then you are in again (in t4 you can move again). To make things more predictable, the positions, players can respawn are marked. If too much were killed and there is no free space left, youll have to wait.

This would be really cool, because if you get killed in Round 1, the game really didnt made fun.
10-05-2005 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I'm going to bid 2 kills. With the number of people playing, I think that's doable.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
10-05-2005 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
A idea :

When you die (lets say in turn 2). You will respwan in turn 3 after all have moved. Your new position will be showed on the game board.
Then you are in again (in t4 you can move again). To make things more predictable, the positions, players can respawn are marked. If too much were killed and there is no free space left, youll have to wait.

This would be really cool, because if you get killed in Round 1, the game really didnt made fun.
The problem with this is that the game would never end. Additionally, if you simply respawned, people wouldn't care as much about getting killed. Even if there was some sort of penalty, it wouldn't be as bad as being knocked out of the game entirely.

-Groucho Marx
10-05-2005 at 02:54 PM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
Count me in, I'll bid 1 kill :medieval

10-05-2005 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
I bid 2 kills.

Now, my character is the one that wields two swords, right?

Click here to view the secret text

10-05-2005 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
I'll raise my bid to 2 kills.
10-05-2005 at 03:50 PM
Muiff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I'm in.
I bid 3 kills!
10-05-2005 at 03:58 PM
HopelessAmateur
Rank Points: 177
I bid three in the sure and certain hope that after all is said and done this will give me a negative score. :D
10-05-2005 at 04:01 PM
Krishh
Rank Points: 282
I bid 2 kills.
10-05-2005 at 04:11 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Malarame wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
A idea :

The problem with this is that the game would never end. Additionally, if you simply respawned, people wouldn't care as much about getting killed. Even if there was some sort of penalty, it wouldn't be as bad as being knocked out of the game entirely.

The real problem is : The aim of the game is fun (and kills). But its really dumb if you die in the first move. (Lets say your penalty time is 2 turns instead of 1 and you loose a half kill)
10-05-2005 at 04:19 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Um, question.
ErikH2000 wrote:
Bidding for Placement in Turn Sequence[...]
If two players make the same bid, higher placement will be given to the one who made his bid sooner.
[...]
Example 2: You bid 5 after another person bids 5. By time of deadline, your two bids haven't changed, and nobody else has bid 5 or higher. He is player #1 and you are player #2.

Example 3: You bid 5. Another player bids 5. You raise your bid to 6 and the deadline ends further bidding. You are player #1 and he is player #2.

Assuming the order of mention is the order of bids, wouldn't the "you" in example 3 still go first even if he/she/it hadn't raised the bid?
10-05-2005 at 04:46 PM
Malarame
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
The real problem is : The aim of the game is fun (and kills). But its really dumb if you die in the first move. (Lets say your penalty time is 2 turns instead of 1 and you loose a half kill)
But how will you determine when the game ends? With a deadline of every few days and this many players, I'm already starting to wonder how much of the game we're going to have time to play. I predict that at the end of the month there'll be a lot of people left as-is. Also remember that people will probably continue playing this after the contest is over, so anyone who feels like they were killed too soon will have plenty of opportunities to play again.

-Groucho Marx
10-05-2005 at 05:22 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I honestly doubt that it will be possible to die in the first turn...if we have so many people that everyone has to start within 1 move of someone else...we really should split it up into multiple "tournaments". As long as you're two moves from another player, it's just a battle of your wits against theirs, so if you die by them, then they're the better player (or just very lucky).

I'm sure that later games will have player limits...this contest will help us see what a good number limit is.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2005 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
md5i
Rank Points: 109
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+2)  
I am in, with an initial bid of 4 kills.

10-05-2005 at 05:58 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
icon Re: Smite to the Death (+1)  
Since for n players, there will be a total of n-1 kills in the game, the average score will be just below one. And we've got all these players bidding multiple kills. Just watch, our average score is going to be negative.

10-05-2005 at 06:00 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Znirk wrote:
Assuming the order of mention is the order of bids, wouldn't the "you" in example 3 still go first even if he/she/it hadn't raised the bid?
Yes, you're right. I guess it wasn't a very good example.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
vittro wrote:
:( Its fun but a drod multiplayer ... I think its best MSN or ICQ , email its too boring
Vittro, I'm considering you not entered in this contest. If you are clear on the rules at the top and want to enter, please make another post saying so.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3749
I'll bid 2.
Is there any way of knowing the move order of the swordsmen? I can see this being useful information. (If this isn't a legitimate question I've missed something in the rules).

10-05-2005 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
HopelessAmateur wrote:
I bid three in the sure and certain hope that after all is said and done this will give me a negative score. :D
You guessed my strategy ;)

Perhaps too late now, but my (partial) solution to the movement order problem would have been, the latest person to get a kill gets moved to the bottom of the movement order list. Although that would still leave undetermined who goes first on the first move....
10-05-2005 at 06:27 PM
ErikH2000
Jacob wrote:
Is there any way of knowing the move order of the swordsmen? I can see this being useful information. (If this isn't a legitimate question I've missed something in the rules).
Yes, that information will be known at start of game. I'll also try to make speech labels like "#7 Jacob" appear next to each swordsman in the room.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 06:34 PM
Leus
Rank Points: 204
I think that th way th ruls ar st up currntly is good, but I hav a suggstion for a gam that might occur latr on with rspawning: It could finish as soon as a kill count is achivd, just lik a dathmatch.

P.S.: Sorry about th missing lttr, but my frind and I ar having a contst to find out who can go th longst without this particular lttr.

-Lus ;)

10-05-2005 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I actually want a bunch of people to die off and not return to the game because that will make it easier to do updates. I think people will just need to console themselves that luck will play a large part in survival.

But ideas like this should be saved for deathmatches after the contest. Clearly, there's a lot of room for cool experiments.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 11:28 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'll bid 1, please.
10-05-2005 at 11:33 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
I honestly doubt that it will be possible to die in the first turn...if we have so many people that everyone has to start within 1 move of someone else...we really should split it up into multiple "tournaments". As long as you're two moves from another player, it's just a battle of your wits against theirs, so if you die by them, then they're the better player (or just very lucky).
I'd say, though, that there must be a rule about the initial placement of people, or movement order may make the first turn highly unfair (since strategic players may recognise that you must die in certain situations, and take advantage of it if you happen to be in one of those).

I'd say the rule should be that no sword can be within 1 square of another player in the initial position (i.e. next to another player) and that there must be at least one square that a player can move to in the first turn (not cycle) which ensures that he/she will stay at least 2 squares from a sword. It sounds a bit complicated, but at least it will give players slightly disadvantaged by the initial order a chance to escape if they so wish.

For example, in this situation:

#
1- 2#
   |#

Player 2 is disadvantaged in the sense that any move he makes will potentially move him next to the sword of 1 if player 1 moves towards him, and if player 1 moves first, this could make all the difference in terms of a kill or escape. Also, there is only one move that would give player 2 the chance to kill player 1 in the second turn (and only if player 1 does not predict this or occupy that square first), which compared to player 1's opportunities is again unfair.

10-05-2005 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, I was pretty much trusting Erik to choose intelligent starting positions. I highly doubt that he would have chosen positions that give an unfair advantage or disadvantage to anyone. Although, honestly, that could be an idea in future deathmatches. Say there are 9 people, arrange 8 around the edge of the tournament area and the 9th in the center. Whoever goes first starts in the center; he will have the most freedom of movement but also won't have a wall at their back, making them more vulnerable to being surrounded.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2005 at 11:52 PM
ErikH2000
Wesley, everyone will have more space between them and swords than what you suggested. I'll try to make it as fair as possible.

-Erik

10-05-2005 at 11:54 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
I just realized this. There cant be trapdoors unless there is a way out without going across trapdoors because if this happened:

TTT
TPT
TTT

T= trap door
P= player

If all the trap doors are down the player is stuck. He could just die, of course.
10-06-2005 at 12:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 4 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Smite to the Death (Our contest for October.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com