Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mimic-less squares
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
IP: Logged
icon Mimic-less squares (+1)  
[rant]
Maybe quite a boring and convoluted idea, but I suggest a type of square that you cannot place mimics or decoys. How about: walls, doors, obstacles, force arrows, open yellow doors and trapdoors, you cry. Well, on numerous occasions I have become stuck since I couldn't use any of them (e.g. a snake in a loop that you don't want to be killed by a mimic, with a red door puzzle in a separate part of the room etc etc.)
Sounds convoluted, yes, but there are times that it would've been useful. (In my current hold in progress for example). Plus, open yellow doors just don't look nice, especially when not linked to an orb and therefore count as an error in the editor.
[/rant]

09-15-2005 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Mimic-less squares (0)  
Even though it doesn't look pretty (as you said), I go with the open doors. Yeah, a "no place 'em no mimic tile" would look nicer.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 09-15-2005 10:47 PM]
09-15-2005 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Mimic-less squares (+1)  
Every element that gets added is another element that the user has to learn and remember and another slot on the editor palette. That's fine, if the element is a significant contribution, but I just don't see this adding much utility to the game. Open doors will do the job most of the time, and in the remaining times, usually, there's a fairly small tweak that can be done to make them work. Yeah, open doors are kind of ugly for the job, but who's to say that the graphic that got picked for the new element would look any better? If open yellow doors are that ugly, maybe a better feature request would be better looking open doors.

The fact that the doors get marked as an error in the editor is IMO irrelevant. What matters to me is the aesthetics while playing.

Incidentally, what prevents you from using them in the example you mentioned of snake in loop with red door puzzle elsewhere? If it's the fact that you need to use a door to enter the loop, you can take advantage of the fact that doors don't connect diagonally, or you can use a breakable wall off the path as a buffer. (If you need to open the path remotely, you can use a decoy and a bomb to break the wall.)

++Adam H. Peterson
09-15-2005 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The part I've never understood about doors is that when up, they're a solid bar, but when down, they're...individual squares.
09-16-2005 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Mimic-less squares (+2)  
Its actually a little known fact that the yellow doors are made of a sulphuric polymer which, under normal conditions is amorphous and fluid. However, when exposed to the correct resonant frequency and a slight jolt of electricity (ala hitting a yellow orb), the molecules align, becoming solid. A second exposure to the sound waves and lightning will either strengthen the crystaline lattice or shatter it, returning the polymer to its fluid form. The upshot of all this is that architects are able to store the fluid in individual squares beneath the floor, but when an orb is activated, the fluid becomes crystallized, and as it does so, rises out of its boxes, combining with neighboring boxes to create a single, rigid wall. Further, only one square of the door need be activated as the crystaline structure is self-perpetuating and will spread from the initial square to any adjacent squares which also contain the polymer.

[Last edited by stigant at 09-16-2005 03:08 AM]
09-16-2005 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
That is cool explanation Stigant.

Its only flaw is that from it you'd expect when you have a door that is a square, it would be all filled in. Which it's not - there a holes in the middle as in this example.

09-16-2005 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
They're not actually separate - yellow doors are a tarpaulin-like covering over complicated mechanics which push the covering up into shape.

09-16-2005 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Mimic-less squares
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com