Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Islands In The Sky
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
IP: Logged

File: Islands in the Sky.hold (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Islands In The Sky (+6)  
After about a year and a half of staying away from the editor, I've decided to take another go at creating a few rooms. This is far from complete, but I'm a sucker for feedback, so I'm submitting it to the Architecture board in this form, small, but completable.

It contains a couple of my favorite rooms updated to JtRH from my small hold released only on the Architecture board, "Cerebella Archipelago," in addition to a couple of decoy puzzles. It's five rooms total and very linear, but I certainly hope to add more as time goes on. But anyhow, here's a taste.

Edit: Version 2 attached.
Edit: Version 2 actually attached now.
Edit: Version 3 attached. A year and a half later.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 02-05-2007 05:29 AM]
08-17-2005 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Islands In The Sky (+1)  
Nice. I remember the Cerebella Archipelago hold, which was pretty challenging. I'm quite a fan of small-sized puzzles.

One bug - in 2N, you should make the eastmost square non-mimic-placeable. I don't think that was there in the original, and I just checked and its solvable without it.

3N1E is very cool - but interestingly, every single move of yours is forced. So you have no choice but to solve it. On the other hand, it still felt very cool solving it :)
08-18-2005 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Islands In The Sky (0)  
Shoot. I knew I'd do something dumb like that. I left out a very important element in the final room for testing purposes. I'm updating the downloadable hold. Thanks for pointing out that bug for me, btw.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 08-18-2005 05:15 AM]
08-18-2005 at 05:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Excellent little hold. I found it easier than Cerebella Archipela, but that may be because I'm a better player now, plus the availability of undo. It's also partially because decoys are easier to keep track of - you don't have to account for them moving when thinking several turns ahead.

I haven't seen the previous version so I don't know what changed in the last room, but it still was a relatively easy one. 2N1E was the only room that gave me serious trouble.

08-18-2005 at 12:40 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Loved it. Please make more rooms.

08-19-2005 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
This is is a really, really good hold. o_o The puzzles are all hard to figure out, but easily redoable once you know how.
08-19-2005 at 09:52 PM
RoboBob3000
I have attached an updated version with a few more rooms and a slightly altered 3n1e, although the solution(s) is/are basically the same.

Feedback encouraged!

09-02-2005 at 12:53 AM
Banjooie
....what did you change, exactly?
09-03-2005 at 11:17 PM
RoboBob3000
>_<

I totally submitted the first version two different times. Version 2 is actually up now. Thanks for the catch.

09-04-2005 at 12:44 AM
RoboBob3000
Insane wrote:
okok nvm
i beat that room by cheating (only hitting one orb and placing the second mimic as close as possible to the brain so when the bottommost door opened i just had to walk south once and that was that (i escaped through the green door))
but now im stuck on the room after that and i feel guilty cus i didn't do that room like you said.

-Insane

Ooh, you found an unintended solution. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be fixing that by placing a few more trapdoors in the next version. Also, don't feel guilty for skipping around in the editor. It's anyone-edit right now so I can get feedback like yours on the difficulty, etc.

As far as the room in question goes:

Click here to view the secret text

Another clue, if you're still stuck:

09-07-2005 at 07:21 PM
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Insane wrote:
okok nvm
i beat that room by cheating (only hitting one orb and placing the second mimic as close as possible to the brain so when the bottommost door opened i just had to walk south once and that was that (i escaped through the green door))
but now im stuck on the room after that and i feel guilty cus i didn't do that room like you said.

-Insane

Ooh, you found an unintended solution. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll be fixing that by placing a few more trapdoors in the next version. Also, don't feel guilty for skipping around in the editor. It's anyone-edit right now so I can get feedback like yours on the difficulty, etc.

As far as the room in question goes:

Another clue, if you're still stuck:

Guess what ive been doing the whole time :lol my problem is that i can't acces some potions without turning my sword.
and because of the bombs i always lose at least 1 mimic since i have to turn my sword.

-Insane
09-08-2005 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Well, re: potions/mimics

09-08-2005 at 05:23 PM
RoboBob3000
I'm preparing to submit this to the holds board. In a moment I'll update the hold in the first post with very slight changes to 1n1e in addition to the flavor text.

Any final thoughts from anybody on this one?

02-03-2007 at 10:11 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Islands In The Sky
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com