Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : 1 South, 1 West
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Angel2506
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : 1 South, 1 West (0)  
This room is frustrating me!!!

Do I start at right or left section?

When I begin in the right section, having killed all the roaches, I am told I am wrong as I leave the section!

[Last edited by Angel2506 at 08-11-2005 03:14 PM]
08-11-2005 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : 1 South, 1 West (+1)  
Click here to view the secret text

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-11-2005 at 03:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Angel2506
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : 1 South, 1 West (0)  
Thanks Jeff but do I begin at the right section where the arrow is, or the section on the left?
08-11-2005 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I did the right section first; from looking at the other high score demos, this appears to be the popular choice.
08-11-2005 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 219

08-11-2005 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50

File: level 7 1s 1w 2nd.jpg (85.7 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
License: Public Domain
well, here I am again ;) This room seems impossible to clear at the queen in the lower lefthand corner produces offsprings and I am able to clear the rest of the room but not this group in the lower left as once you under there is no way out.

I have tried to stay invisible during the spanning time (30) and that seems to work on most of the queens. But, this one? and the offspring?

There must be a trick here. Could it be the citizen? This graphic is what I am talking about.
03-04-2006 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 7 1s 1w 3rd.jpg (243.3 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
Here is where I end up. Suggestions?
03-04-2006 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
There's no trick.

The only thing the citizen do is, to say something different if you take the potion near the checkpoint first.

-- Tim

03-04-2006 at 08:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Interesting solution ... how does one not let the queen spawn when it is necessary to become visible once during a least one time when the clock strikes 30? But, hey, I will look into the potion as I don't recall seeing it or do you mean the vessle that makes you visible/invisible?
03-05-2006 at 02:03 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Easy.

03-05-2006 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 7 1s 1w 4th.jpg (253.8 KB)
Downloaded 104 times.
Look at the graphic. If I move to the potion circled in red then the spawns of the queen by the two yellow circles will eventually move to the yellow circles, hence unreachable (in my opinion). In addition, the blue queen will move to an unreachable position in the trapdoors above and to the rigtht of her. If I follow the black path I can easily clear the middle and right-hand columns of monsters. But, then the roaches by the yellow queen will eventually move to the yellow circles. Thus, although I know better, it doesn't seem possible to clear the room. The spawns of the yellow queen cannot move more than 2 squares from her else there are in the yellow circles.

So, what is the strategy here?
03-05-2006 at 11:58 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
It's easiest to go for the left hand section first, although either is possible.

"Oook!"
03-05-2006 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 7 1s 1w 4th.jpg (253.8 KB)
Downloaded 63 times.
It is not clear to me what you mean by the "1st potion". Is this the right hand one in the left column, i.e. the one that I was going to last as indicated by the black line?

I can get the northern most queen in the left hand column but then I always end up with roaches in the two yellow circles which means I will be stuck at one of those "arrows".

Can you please refer to my graphic here or above to indicate a possible strategy?

Thank you from a tired, frustrated old man :~(
03-05-2006 at 02:48 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979

File: JtRH Seventh Level 1S1W Start.demo (2.1 KB)
Downloaded 129 times.
Here's a demo file of my first few moves in this room.

How to view a demo:

1. Go to the room.
2. Press F6.
3. Select "Import".
4. Import the file.
5. Select Watch.

-- Tim

03-05-2006 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Tim:

Thanks. At least I see how you started. Too bad you got stuck in the middle top getting that queen. By the way, how are you making the demo if you are already past this level? Always wondered how this was done.
03-06-2006 at 12:16 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
wiseoldman wrote:
By the way, how are you making the demo if you are already past this level? Always wondered how this was done.

you have to restore the room at "room start" (or at the point you like) and play it again. to record the demo you have to press F5, ESC will finish recording...

zaubberer
:wizard
03-06-2006 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
F1 in-game will bring up the Help menu, which does cover a lot of the demo stuff and perhaps many other things you aren't aware of yet. Might be worth checking out, not everything is covered in the tutorial. (For example, some people don't realize that you can Undo a move. I forget what the default key is but you can set it in the Settings screen.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-06-2006 at 12:41 AM
wiseoldman

File: JtRH Dave Seventh Level 1S1W cant get out of room o.demo (2.6 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
Well, by waiting while invisible I was able to clear the room but now I can't get out! I didn't realize there was no way back to the east :-O

So, what did I miss this time? ? ?
03-06-2006 at 01:07 AM
wiseoldman
HA HA HA ..... I couldn't see the opening as it was not clear to my old eyes :lol :lol

So on to the next level ..... thanks to all
03-06-2006 at 01:15 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Oneiromancer wrote:
Might be worth checking out, not everything is covered in the tutorial. (For example, some people don't realize that you can Undo a move...)
This is covered in the tutorial. :D

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-06-2006 at 01:27 AM
Oneiromancer
mrimer wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Might be worth checking out, not everything is covered in the tutorial. (For example, some people don't realize that you can Undo a move...)
This is covered in the tutorial. :D
Um...oops? I did at least test the tutorial all those years ago, I guess I forgot that. I also guess I shouldn't assume that everyone new to a game will play the tutorial...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-06-2006 at 03:32 AM
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
Here's the problem for me:

Roach queen 1 always goes to 2, where it is impossible to get out.

06-09-2006 at 12:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
So clearly you need to enter that section of the room before you move to the West side. :)

Game on,

06-09-2006 at 12:51 PM
Snacko
Yes but then the queen lays eggs, and when I turn visible, the offspring gets trapped.

06-09-2006 at 01:15 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Snacko wrote:
Yes but then the queen lays eggs, and when I turn visible, the offspring gets trapped.

You need to get the invisibility potion before any eggs are laid.

06-09-2006 at 01:33 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
Snacko wrote:

you come from the east, right? there are two invisible potions you can reach within the first spawn cycle. and one of thos both avoids that this queen gets stucked in the trapdoors. also it defines the first part of your way!

zaubberer
:wizard
06-09-2006 at 01:43 PM
Snacko
Actually there was one, but I still saw how I could not make it run the wrong one after looking more closely. Thanks.

06-09-2006 at 02:35 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : 1 South, 1 West
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com