Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Film Festival (Rules updated.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon DROD Film Festival (+1)  
These are revised rules for the Film Festival contest. I think forcing teams of three was too much to ask. I also dropped the requirement to have recorded voices, but if this contest is successful, I have a part 2 in mind that will involve recording parts for the movies.

Contest Rules

For our August contest, each entrant will be responsible for creating a film, which is actually a hold that presents a skit, monologue, musical number, or similar theatrical presentation.

The film will meet these criteria:

- The film should be no longer than 15 minutes.
- The film can be Eighth-related, but doesn't need to be. The same rules of conduct for forum posting (i.e. no swearing, discussion of illegal activity, copyright infringement) apply to the presentation.
- No puzzle-solving or interactive elements. Player movements can't affect the presentation other than perhaps to make it pause or progress.
- No recorded speech.
- No modded graphics or special image floors. I want this contest to focus on the stories.
- The completed film (hold file) must be e-mailed to me by Local Time:08-20-2005 at 01:00 AM. You can't make multiple submissions. If you send me more than one version of a hold, I will automatically use the last one you send me. But please avoid sending multiple versions of one hold--it creates more work. If you want to be anonymous, create a new player in DROD to use for authoring the hold.

The Film Festival

We will "screen" everyone's productions in our own little festival. I'll post them in one topic, and they'll all be available for download at one time.

Prizes

After the screening, we'll have a rating poll for the films. People will simply be asked to rate films by how well they liked them. The entrant with the top-rated film will get 100 rank points and an item of his choosing from the Prize Pile. Second-place winner gets 50 rank points, and third-place gets 25 rank points. If the entrant has never participated in a Caravel contest before, he gets a +10 "rookie bonus".

Different Ways of Showing a Film

There aren't any real limitations on how you can use a hold to show a film, except that these films should follow a linear progression with the player observing instead of interacting. Adding a puzzle into the story might be cool, but for this contest it isn't allowed so we can focus on the stories themselves.

So what kinds of things can you do?

* Player (Beethro) can move to different rooms which act as different settings for the film. It is important to enforce a linear progression though. The player can't wander to rooms of his choosing and explore. If you use multiple rooms, then make sure the player's route is layed out.

* Player can hit orbs, step on squares, or perform other actions that make the story progress. In this case, you are making something like an in-game "pause/play" button. The player shouldn't be able to make the story branch--keep it linear.

* Tablesaw had the cool idea of recording a demo that can be played back. I think this is the closest way to showing something like a film, since there is no distracting player interaction. It also allows for using Beethro as a character. You may wish to add a scroll or level description telling the player he should watch a demo to see the movie.

-Erik

08-06-2005 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: DROD Film Festival (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
For our August contest, each entrant will be responsible for creating a film, which is actually a hold that presents a skit, monologue, musical number, or similar theatrical presentation.
Does this mean that each person must generate his or her own hold and story, or are teams still allowed (I guess prizes in teams will have to be split if this is the case)?

08-06-2005 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: DROD Film Festival (+1)  
I am so very, very in on this.
08-07-2005 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Does this mean that each person must generate his or her own hold and story, or are teams still allowed (I guess prizes in teams will have to be split if this is the case)?
You can team up with people if you like, and I'll give out extra rank points to other members, but if you win first prize, then only one person gets to choose from the prize pile.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
I would like to note my general annoyance at the fact the scripting system does not have a 'wait for speech to fade' function.

Can we submit a written script of our movie alongside, so that people who press too quickly don't miss it, or who press the up arrow way, way too fast on the demo?
08-07-2005 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
I would like to note my general annoyance at the fact the scripting system does not have a 'wait for speech to fade' function.
Yeah, that's a long story. If we could add it easily, we would have done it already.
Can we submit a written script of our movie alongside, so that people who press too quickly don't miss it, or who press the up arrow way, way too fast on the demo?
If you want, sure, but it seems a little inelegant. Maybe giving some general instructions for viewing would suffice.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 03:27 AM
Banjooie
Yeah, I've read up on it, I see why it's an issue, but it doesn't mean I won't cry tears of acidic radioactive blood that is also on fire.

It's also terrifying how long fifteen minutes is, for the record.
08-07-2005 at 03:55 AM
ErikH2000
Banjooie wrote:
It's also terrifying how long fifteen minutes is, for the record.
No doubt! That's why I made it the maximum length. Feel free to do something much shorter.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 04:06 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Just to give people a heads-up: In the movie and television buisness, one page of script is usually the equivalent of about a minute onscreen. Keep that in mind if you are looking for a specific length.

08-07-2005 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Very cool idea for a contest. I'll be very interested in watching the entries, I've wondered if people would ever make a very-scripted-hold like this. May even make one myself.
08-07-2005 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I'm in. I just got an idea.
08-07-2005 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
I'm in, now that it doesn't require audio recordings and division of labour

08-07-2005 at 10:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
I might enter this contest. It's not exactly my field of expertise, but it's been a while since I took part in a DROD contest.

Am I right in assuming that "no recorded speech" also means no custom sound effects or background music?
08-07-2005 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
So because you said to keep the story linear, that means I can't do one o' them confangled "Choose your own adventure" stories, right?

I guess I'm in. It doesn't require building a hold with puzzle elements, so yeah. I'll do it. :D
08-07-2005 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I won't go asking people if they want to be with me but if someone asks me I probably will say yes. it's because there were too many times I said yes and ended up saying no.

08-07-2005 at 05:10 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Sorry Erik, but I have to quote what I wrote to Schik last night:
Argh! Stupid Erik! I enjoyed the old rules!
I looked forward to recording voices and everything! I wish you would have done it like you did Songs of the Eighth back in the day - made recording your voice optional, but get a bonus for doing it. I think I may still end up recording voices for whatever I do, and just release it later.

But still - Argh! Argh argh argh! So much potential with the old rules!

08-07-2005 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cheese obsessive
Uhhh....forgive me for being stupid...but I just can't figure out how to script a conversation between two characters....Could someone with some idea of how to script please help me? Thanks.
08-07-2005 at 05:32 PM
ErikH2000
Mikko wrote:
Am I right in assuming that "no recorded speech" also means no custom sound effects or background music?
That's right.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 06:12 PM
ErikH2000
cheese obsessive wrote:
So because you said to keep the story linear, that means I can't do one o' them confangled "Choose your own adventure" stories, right?
That's right--no branching choose-your-own-adventure stuff.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 06:15 PM
ErikH2000
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
I looked forward to recording voices and everything!
If we have at least... oh... six entries for this contest, then I'd like to do a follow-up contest involving recording parts for the films. The Grand Audition was really fun, and I think it's about time to have another recording contest.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 06:18 PM
ErikH2000
cheese obsessive wrote:
Uhhh....forgive me for being stupid...but I just can't figure out how to script a conversation between two characters....Could someone with some idea of how to script please help me? Thanks.
Which part do you get hung up on?

An easy way to do it is have one character script that controls the dialogue for all characters. So even though you may have multiple characters, there is just one script. Most of the tricky scripting problems that come up, involve responding to events initiated by the player, but thankfully you'll have little or none of this.

I recommend writing a traditional play script in notepad or something, and then try to get it into DROD.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 06:24 PM
cheese obsessive
ErikH2000 wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
Which part do you get hung up on?

An easy way to do it is have one character script that controls the dialogue for all characters. So even though you may have multiple characters, there is just one script. Most of the tricky scripting problems that come up, involve responding to events initiated by the player, but thankfully you'll have little or none of this.

I recommend writing a traditional play script in notepad or something, and then try to get it into DROD.

-Erik

I am trying to make a conversation between two characters, but the closest I can come to it is character A says ALL his lines, and then character B says ALL his lines. I want them to alternate lines. I just can't seem to do that. If I have all of the lines set to be said by one NPC, then wouldn't all the dialogue appear in the same box? Wouldn't that get confusing, especially when you start adding more than two characters? O_o
08-07-2005 at 09:52 PM
ErikH2000
cheese obsessive wrote:
If I have all of the lines set to be said by one NPC, then wouldn't all the dialogue appear in the same box?
No, because you can set the speaker for each line by choosing a name from the righthand list, i.e. "Goblin", "Beethro", "Citizen 1". So you can have one character script show boxes for different characters. This is how you get past the problem of waiting for one character to finish speaking before the next begins.

If you have multiple characters of the same type, i.e. two goblins talking to each other, then it gets trickier (but still possible) to make the speech happen from one script. Choosing characters of different types in one room will help making scripting simpler.

And it's even possible to coordinate speech between characters in two different scripts, but I don't recommend it. Much more difficult.

-Erik

08-07-2005 at 10:41 PM
Banjooie
A fancy trick I've been playing with is to use an orb that unlocks a door right next to it.

Then, you have an NPC go like this.

(Door starts closed)

Wait for door to open
...do stuff

And then, y'know, depending on how many NPCs you have hit that orb, you can go

Wait for door to open
Wait for door to close
Wait for door to open

and, in this manner, produce a series of switches and delays on a character's action.

08-07-2005 at 10:54 PM
cheese obsessive
ErikH2000 wrote:
cheese obsessive wrote:
If I have all of the lines set to be said by one NPC, then wouldn't all the dialogue appear in the same box?
No, because you can set the speaker for each line by choosing a name from the righthand list, i.e. "Goblin", "Beethro", "Citizen 1". So you can have one character script show boxes for different characters. This is how you get past the problem of waiting for one character to finish speaking before the next begins.

If you have multiple characters of the same type, i.e. two goblins talking to each other, then it gets trickier (but still possible) to make the speech happen from one script. Choosing characters of different types in one room will help making scripting simpler.

And it's even possible to coordinate speech between characters in two different scripts, but I don't recommend it. Much more difficult.

-Erik

Yay! Me, my brother, and cousin will now attempt to write some really stupid/funny script, or something. :glasses

Except now I can't figure out how to make a character move AFTER it says something. My script is like this:

Invincibility on
CHARACTERS SAY STUFF
Move to this square

But the character moves to the square I tell it to DURING the conversation. Uhh....how do I make this not happen? It looks kinda weird, because you don't normally walk away from someone while having a conversation with them.

[Last edited by cheese obsessive at 08-08-2005 12:36 AM : Another scripting question, because I am fairly amish.]
08-07-2005 at 11:42 PM
gamer_extreme_101
The "Speech" command is different from the rest in the fact that all commands after it won't wait for it to finish. The premise being that speech shouldn't slow down the script, I guess. The best solution that you can do is have a "Wait for 1 Turn" command after the speech to proceed with the rest of the script.

08-08-2005 at 02:03 AM
wmarkham
Rank Points: 125
Banjooie wrote:
A fancy trick I've been playing with is to use an orb that unlocks a door right next to it.
I'd like to point out that this sort of trick is not needed for the contest. All one needs to do is adjust "Wait for turn" commands so that the lines are delivered at the appropriate times.

Weston
08-09-2005 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
goldenlion
Rank Points: 199
This could be fun... I'll have to learn how to script, though... and write dialouge... but I may try and put something together.

08-09-2005 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Fine idea for a contest.

I'd like to try machinema some day, but this should be quite entertaining. I came up with a reasonable idea and what better time to learn a little scripting?

I'm in.
08-09-2005 at 04:04 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I started on my "movie-hold" today. Im looking forward to watch all those movies at the end. Cool contest ! (But timeconsuming in some way.... 1 minute movie seems to equal 15-35 minutes work)
08-10-2005 at 02:49 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD Film Festival (Rules updated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com