Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The traitors (Dungeons)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.4/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.08
Author Name:David
Submitted By:XII
Hold Name:The traitors
Theme:Dungeons
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:28
Number of Monsters:1299
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The traitors.hold (600.3 KB)
Downloaded 1706 times.
License: Other
icon The traitors  

07-07-2005 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: The traitors (0)  
Sigh..

OK, so I'm going to assume since you didn't submit this to the architecture forum, you had private beta testers.

In that case, your testers didn't do very well. You can't backtrack through 1E, thus causing the first level to be unsolvable. There are also a number of scripting problems when backtracking through completed rooms.
07-07-2005 at 09:07 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I agree that more playtesting would have been nice, but the first level is indeed solvable.

07-07-2005 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
My bad. I should have spent more time looking. Sorry about that.
07-07-2005 at 11:26 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
This was a short hold, but I had some fun playing it. I agree with the sentiment that it could have used more testing: the plot is very bare, the pacing of the rooms in difficulty and length is odd, and the hold could have done with some more polish in its puzzle rooms, its aesthetics and its level layout. There's even a room which can't be reached because of a backtracking problem, although the hold's still solvable.

Despite these flaws, there are the seeds of a good hold here: rooms like L1: Twice East and L2: Quarce South Once East are interesting to play through, and many of the rooms in this hold are interesting to optimize.

If anyone else wants to play this hold, be forewarned: there are some unnecessarily branching and obtuse secret wall passages, which might take some trial and error to find or to find the correct, non-dead-end path through.

I doubt the architect of this hold is still around, but if he is I would be quite interested to play or test his next work.

[Last edited by Chaco at 07-09-2011 11:28 PM]
07-09-2011 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Not a very long or difficult hold and I'm not sure how one is supposed to find out who the traitor is, but there were a couple of backtracking issues. Most notably for me was when leaving l2:1E, I could not then get back through 1E without reconquering the entrance. A lack of checkpoints was also annoying in this regard.

Overall though, some decent puzzles and many things were well thought out (door placement, etc). An excellent first hold and though it's been a while, I hope there will be more in the future.

12-15-2011 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The traitors (Dungeons) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com