Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The War of the Dungeons (July's Patriotic Contest)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jdyer
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 329
IP: Logged
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (0)  
Smitemaster. :glasses

[Last edited by jdyer at 07-06-2005 07:00 PM]
07-06-2005 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
Hey,

Out of interest. Will the "whatever it is that's gonna be announced on the 15th thing" trigger a call to arms in the sense that a better chance is stood if hitting refresh until the "whatever it is that's gonna be announced on the 15th thing" is announced ?

If so, I'm afraid I'll have to back away slowly as I'll be over yonder all next week...
07-06-2005 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (+1)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:1) Heads to the Holds page and find any room in a hold made in DROD:AE (1.6)....King Dugan's Dungeon and any holds made in JtRH will not be accepted. On that note, any AE holds converted to JtRH versions (Tscott's H I J K and Stuwy's Tar Caves come to mind) also will not be allowed. Compilations will be allowed, but you have to contact the entry authour, not the compilation authour.

This contest while it sounds complicated also sounds fun, so I am trying to find a room to edit, only I am having a real hard time figuring out if they have been edited yet for JtRH.

If if is not too much trouble could you or someone else list all the holds that would not qualify?:w00t

07-06-2005 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936

File: 10000th post.JPG (17.3 KB)
Downloaded 97 times.
License: Other
Congrats, techant, you have the 10,000th post in the General forum!

(See attachment.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-06-2005 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: The War of the Dungeons (+3)  
These holds qualify for the contest:

Penthouse
MetDROiD AE
Unfortunate Archictect Compilation
king dungans lost ice castle
King Dugans Tomb
Meckmecks World
Caverns of Animus
Labyrinthitis expanded
Tacker Triology (DVD Architects Cut)
Egg's Treasure Tower
JO's First Hold
Labyrinthitis
Egg's Dungeon
The Tackers Tower
Chainsaw
war!
Tackers Tomb
Tackersmoore 1
Odyssey
Simon's Dungeon
Rowthro's hold : How To Keep Idiots busy
Garlonuss' Galley
City of Queens
KDD First Level remake
Cheeseville
A Collection of Constant Room Templates
Pitiful
A Quiet Place
A hold by any other name...
Dusty Dungeon
Return to Dugan's Dungeon
Simplicity
Fortress of Eternity
Veere's dungeon
Bavato's Dungeon
Nightmare Dungeon
Smith Basement
Least Number of Turns Contest Hold
The trapdoor chronicles
Bjorn's evil tower
The Crypt of the Ages v 1.12
I Ching Contest Entries
Beethro's First Job
Malcom, Brock, and Dave: Death by Goblins.
Mark's Penultimate Dungeon
Phil's Dungeon
Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns
DROD Scenario Puzzle pack (English version) (Didouneto@aol.com)
DROD Scenario Puzzle pack (Didouneto@aol.com)
Contest Hold
King Reubus' Palace
The Oversight
The Fool's Errand
1-level E-Z hold
Bad Evil Restaurant
The Monsters Cave
Squeenton Swicks
Final Doom
The steps
Claythro Tower
DROD Tutorials
Charlotte's Hold
The Haunted House Part I
Beethro's Dance of Death
Temple of Kurath
Crazy Cave
Dinfro Budkin's Wine Cellar
Smallsome Swicks
Dugan's Dungeon Revisited
The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition)
Treasure Hunt

Italicised means that the hold is a compilation and you need permission for the authour of the level/room. Bolded means the authour has publically given permission for the room to be used without asking questions.

Hmmm...that's a long list. I think I may need to revise part two a bit... However, Architects are still free to continue building, and if any hold authours want to give permission publically, then feel free and the list will be updated.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 07-07-2005 07:35 AM]
07-06-2005 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
You forgot Idiots dungeon. And I give permission for anyone to use How to keep idiots busy.

07-06-2005 at 10:43 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Just so no-one gets momentarily confused as I just was, techant asked if someone could post which holds would not qualify and that's a list of ones that do. Not a criticism, just pointing it out.
Anyone can use rooms from my hold Labyrinthitis if they want.
I've already made my entry, however have not received a reply from the architect. Now, if he never visits the board again and never PMs me back does this mean I can't use this entry? :(
This is possible, as I've just noticed that he's not posted in a while.

07-06-2005 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
This sounds fun, and I've been meaning to enter a contest, but... what are the entries going to be judged based on? None of the ten listed rules make any mention of it, the best I can find is "remodel the room so that it looks nothing like the original AE room". So can I safely assume judging will take the form of a vote for which entry looks or feels least like the original? And that, for instance, there'd be no advantage from taking my original from one of the lesser known holds?

As a clarification for what sort of changes are allowed, is this a correct statement? "A sequence of moves leads to victory in the original version if and only if it leads to victory in the modified version."
07-06-2005 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
rowrow wrote:
You forgot Idiots dungeon. And I give permission for anyone to use How to keep idiots busy.
Idiot's Dungeon is a JtRH, therefore it does not qualify. Thanks for the permission, though.
Jacob wrote:
Just so no-one gets momentarily confused as I just was, techant asked if someone could post which holds would not qualify and that's a list of ones that do. Not a criticism, just pointing it out.
:blush Meh, This will be a very handy list to keep around. Top post edited.
Anyone can use rooms from my hold Labyrinthitis if they want.
Mucho gracious.
've already made my entry, however have not received a reply from the architect. Now, if he never visits the board again and never PMs me back does this mean I can't use this entry?
This is possible, as I've just noticed that he's not posted in a while.
Wait for a bit, and if the entry is all made, then contact me via email and I can try to work something out with you.
Remlin wrote:
This sounds fun, and I've been meaning to enter a contest, but... what are the entries going to be judged based on? None of the ten listed rules make any mention of it, the best I can find is "remodel the room so that it looks nothing like the original AE room". So can I safely assume judging will take the form of a vote for which entry looks or feels least like the original? And that, for instance, there'd be no advantage from taking my original from one of the lesser known holds?
In a very rare instance from me, I will quote the poll reply:
1) Entries should be judged based on how the new room compare with their older counterparts. Judge based on making sure the puzzle stays the same in all aspects, use of scripting in an ingenuitive and novel way (If they used scripting, that is), and the general feel you get from looking at the new version. Please try to be honest and fair when judging them.
Hope that answers your questions.
As a clarification for what sort of changes are allowed, is this a correct statement? "A sequence of moves leads to victory in the original version if and only if it leads to victory in the modified version."
Correct. I must be able to make a set amount of moves in the original and have carbon-copy effects on the remake.

07-07-2005 at 05:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
People are free to use Treasure Hunt if they want to. I did make some changes to it during beta, and released a version to the beta testers only, but I kept putting off upgrading it to the Holds board. So I don't know if this disqualifies the hold; the scripting changes I made were very small, as well as the visual changes, and very few people have access to it (if they even still have it).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-07-2005 at 06:56 AM
gamer_extreme_101
I'll keep it on, but if any beta-testers give me a room of yours, can I ship it to you to check to make sure the script wasn't copied?

07-07-2005 at 07:37 AM
Oneiromancer
No problem. All of the changes were very small, so I'm sure someone trying to be elaborate would do a lot better.

Game on,

07-07-2005 at 08:44 AM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
I just read about this contest today...I really should check all new topics to make sure I don't miss the start of a new contest...

Oh well, I'm little late, but I believe I'll go with the Architects. :|

[Last edited by MasterGiga at 07-09-2005 03:13 AM]
07-07-2005 at 08:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Wow 10,000th post thanks for the jpg :)

I finially accomplished something, and I wasn't even trying. Do I win anything :lol just kidding.

Great job on the list this makes it so much easier to do the contest.

07-08-2005 at 12:57 AM
techant
Well I am tring to be an Architect but I am confused on how to get build access, to the hold room I picked, in JtRH.

I exported my player from my AE, where I had access to the build. Then I imported that player into my JtRH full edition. I read somewhere to do that before importing the hold, so that is what I did. I then imported the hold successfully but it did not show as having been played yet and I could not access it in build. Do I have to play the whole hold again before I get access to the build?

07-08-2005 at 01:29 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Answer:

Go open it up in AE, export as a differently named hold that's anyone edit, then open it up in JtRH.
07-08-2005 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
Banjooie wrote:
Answer:

Go open it up in AE, export as a differently named hold that's anyone edit, then open it up in JtRH.

Thanks that is what worked. :thumbsup

This contest is really making me learn how to do stuff in the new JtRH builder. :fun

07-08-2005 at 02:33 AM
techant
Empty Exit?
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
7) When you have reached a point of perfection in the hold and think that it cannot be worked on anymore, take a screenshot of it and export the hold to file (Anyone-Edit, please). Be sure that there is just that room, an empty entrance room, and an empty exit room. Also make sure that the title or level name does not relate to the original level or hold name. After all, it is your piece of work now.
Also in the sample there were stairs in the exit room. That is not quite empty. Do we get to put stairs or not? If there are no stairs seems like you would not get a real ending.

[Last edited by techant at 07-08-2005 05:51 AM]
07-08-2005 at 05:47 AM
gamer_extreme_101
By empty, I mean that there isn't anything exciting in it. It should just be stairs, and that's it. Nothing in that room to make people sway to your entry.

07-08-2005 at 05:51 AM
techant
Got my entry in hope all is well :w00t

07-08-2005 at 09:36 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Must the puzzle be complex ?
07-08-2005 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Must the puzzle be complex ?
I don't quite understand. Do you mean that the original puzzle should be complex? If that's the case, then no. It could be as simple or as hard as you choose.

07-08-2005 at 05:33 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
It's necessary to take a screenshot of the original room in AE, but is there an easy way to find out which tileset the room uses in AE? (I could easily reconstruct it with the AE editor for the screenshot if I knew that)

It's easy if the hold has only one level/the room is in the first level (import the hold into AE, begin a new game at the first level, see which tileset is used). I assume that I need some kind of playerfile converting into AE if I want to see later levels without playing through the whole hold.
07-08-2005 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Answering my previous question, this is how I did it.

1. I had the editable version of the hold in question in JtRH.
2. I made an anyone edit copy of it and exported it.
3. I converted the anyone edit copy with Stefan's JtRH2AE converter on the development board.
4. I imported the converted hold to AE.
5. Editable copy of the hold in AE!

Oh yes, I've sent my entry to gamer.

PS.
Click here to view the secret text

07-08-2005 at 11:49 PM
Ander
Rank Points: 79
I intend to participate as an architect. Please realize that this doesn't mean I WILL participate, ABSOLUTELY, without question. Something may come up. But I'm going to proceed under the assumption that nothing will.
07-10-2005 at 06:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Ander wrote:
I intend to participate as an architect. Please realize that this doesn't mean I WILL participate, ABSOLUTELY, without question. Something may come up. But I'm going to proceed under the assumption that nothing will.

Ander, try to participate I didn't think I would have enough time or that I knew enough, but I had so much fun making my first remake that I did a second one and am about to send it off now. :thumbsup

07-10-2005 at 08:45 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I probably will try my best at architecting... as I have some suspicions about what the second part will be :D

07-10-2005 at 09:52 AM
Muiff
Rank Points: 32
I will join the competition as smitemaster. This will be my first competition :D
07-13-2005 at 05:14 PM
gamer_extreme_101
This is my last call to get some people to head on over to the Dungeon Architect Association. Remember, people, both sides will have about the same amount of difficulty, so if you think that waiting for the Smitemaster announcement will give you an advantage, that may not be so.

07-13-2005 at 05:19 PM
Ander
Rank Points: 79
Against all odds, I've actually got an entry that's going to be submitted in a few minutes (just doing some last-minute touch-ups). I'm really pretty pleased with this. Looking forward to seeing what the Smitemasters have to do!
07-14-2005 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The War of the Dungeons (July's Patriotic Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com