Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Whispering Walls (A small hold I've been working on)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
IP: Logged

File: Whispering walls.hold (17.7 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Other
icon Whispering Walls (+1)  
Another small (about a dozen rooms) hold I've been working on. It's the first hold to focus on JtRH elements by me (if you think about it for a minute you may figure out what the main JTRH monster is). So have at it and let me know what you think.

I'm fairly happy with most of the rooms right now but one or two may be switched out if I come up with any better ideas. Also, the hold is currently very light on scripting - a few may be added at a later date.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-26-2005 at 12:28 AM: Updated hold]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-26-2005 at 06:15 PM: newer version of hold]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 12:20 AM: another update]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 05:08 PM: yet another update]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 08:54 PM: 1N1E changed]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-28-2005 at 06:25 AM: 1N1E fuse tightened, checkpoint added]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-28-2005 at 10:21 AM: 1N1E again -fixed trivial solutions]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:06-01-2005 at 06:24 PM: added/fixed scripts]

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:06-08-2005 at 09:42 AM: action packed ending added]

05-24-2005 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
cbemom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 36
icon Re: Whispering Walls (0)  
I've enjoyed all your holds so far - but I don't know how to deal with the new monsters, yet.

I'm stuck in the first room - I can't figure out where to kill that rock golem where it won't block access to trapdoors.

05-25-2005 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
cbemom wrote:
I've enjoyed all your holds so far - but I don't know how to deal with the new monsters, yet.

I'm stuck in the first room - I can't figure out where to kill that rock golem where it won't block access to trapdoors.
There's a trick to it...
Click here to view the secret text

05-25-2005 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
If anyone can tell me how they solved 3E in this hold along with any thoughts on that room in particular, I'd appreciate it. I found an unintended solution while replaying it today and am curious about how you solved it and am looking for some ways to improve that room.

Of course, any other thoughts are appreciated too. Also, there's a number of 'linchpin' type puzzles throughout the hold, so if anyone needs a nudge or wants to vent if a puzzle's too obscure, that's welcome too.

05-25-2005 at 11:08 PM
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
What??? Again!

Why does everybody write something like "Congratulations! You have now conquered XXX and thereīs hardly any teethmarks on you. If you liked this hold look for other holds made by the one known as YYY"?

My brother did it, Dreamisle did it, Meckmeck GRE did it and you did it. I find it really strange. Nice hold by the way. Iīm going to give you a litle feedback later, but right now Iīm too tired.
05-26-2005 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Um...that's the default ending that the game provides for you if you choose not to write your own.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-26-2005 at 12:05 AM
Blondbeard
icon Re: Whispering Walls (+1)  
Ehh? 3E?

I suppose I solved it the intended way.

05-26-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Oneiromancer wrote:
Um...that's the default ending that the game provides for you if you choose not to write your own.

Game on,

Haha! That explains a lot! I guess Iīm just a little stupid sometimes ;)
05-26-2005 at 12:12 AM
Tscott
Blondbeard wrote:
Ehh? 3E?

I suppose I solved it the intended way.
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. :selftwak
Leave it to me not to see the obvious.

I'll be attaching a new version soon. This one will enforce my intended solution to 3E, but remove the need to clear all the tar/mud. I've also added a scripted hint in 1E and another added script elsewhere in the hold.

Edit: latest version attached at top of thread.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-26-2005 at 12:28 AM]

05-26-2005 at 12:23 AM
cbemom
for 1E.

05-26-2005 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
1E

05-26-2005 at 08:43 AM
Blondbeard
Hereīs that feedback I promised you. I hope itīs usefull. Also Iīm going to rank the individual rooms from one to ten.

Rank 8 rooms: 1E. This was the best room of the hold. A quite challanging puzzle.

Rank 7 rooms: The entrance. Nice idea :). 2E1N a funny room forcing the player to think. 1N has a nice setup, and it took me some tries to solve it. You could remove some of the monsters on the doors (maybe build in some pits) all the monsters made my computer a bit slow.

Rank 6 rooms: 3E. I liked this room. Not too much tar or mud to clear out, but I did it the wrong way? 4E, 4E1N, 3E1N. All these seeproms where quite nice.1N1E is also nice, but here I think you should do the top-part of the room somewhat moore challanging.

Rank 5 rooms:The rest of the rooms. The ones I find to be a bit too much reppetetive. Concerning 2E and
I think you shold remove the mudmother. It just makes it easy to do clumsy mistakes concerning timing. And you canīt

05-26-2005 at 09:39 AM
Blondbeard
Oh, and the

05-26-2005 at 09:41 AM
Tscott
Blondbeard wrote:
3E. I liked this room. Not too much tar or mud to clear out, but I did it the wrong way?

And you canīt
Ah, so you're the guy.:pokey I said to myself "no one would exit the room without solving it first, would they?" :unsure
I'll make adjustments to fix this.:)

And the comment about a slower computer is noted, when I upload a new version tomorrow (er, it's 4AM here, so by that I mean later today) it will be sure to have a lot less unneeded seeps in 1N.

05-26-2005 at 10:30 AM
Tscott
I've made the changes mentioned and uploaded the hold to the first post.

05-26-2005 at 06:16 PM
Blondbeard
Now I had to solve 3E in the intended way. And I really think you should put a checkpoint somewhere in the middle of the room. Otherwise itīs nice.I find it rather curious that you

Also you might build in some pits in the red and yellow doors in 1N. In that way you could keep the monsterformation regardless of how the player moves. I think that would make the setup of the room a bit cooler. (just a minor detail :)
05-26-2005 at 09:03 PM
Tscott
Blondbeard wrote:
I find it rather curious that you...
Oops, I was playing around with that room late last night and meant to put the mother back. I'm waiting for some other opinions on the mudmother here as I like the rooms with it...

05-26-2005 at 09:38 PM
cbemom
Now that I finally got past 1E
-clever!

2E - a little too much hack and slash for my tastes, but it's okay.

3E - great room - maybe a checkpoint below the mud mother?

1S3E -
is that the intended solution?

1N - a brain buster - love it

the entrance was plain fun - whoo hoo!

the secret rooms are good - I had trouble finding them - worth the search.

05-26-2005 at 11:22 PM
Tscott
Regarding the entrance

Anyway just thought I'd also mention, right now I'm working on improving the last part of 1N1E, I agree with Blondbeard that it's too easy compared to the rest of the room. Also, I'm thinking of a replacement for 1S4E, the Rock Golem room- It's playing more like a chore and less like a puzzle for me, hopefully I'll come up with something more clever.

05-26-2005 at 11:43 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Excellent hold. Throughly enjoyed it.
Mudmother works fine in that secret room, why take it out? Adds to the symmetry also. One question about the room with the bombs

05-26-2005 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Bombs room:

3E:

05-27-2005 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Hmmm, I think I've finally enforced my solution to 3E.

The removal of the mudmother was a mistake, I've put it back in.

The bomb room was designed without stepping on a closed door in mind. It's possible to kill all seeps in that area and get to the checkpoint before the bomb explodes. I'll have to take another look at that.

Anyway, latest version is now attached.

Edit:
Oh, and thank you very much for everyone's input so far, and your patience with this work in progress.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 12:27 AM]

05-27-2005 at 12:24 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373

File: Ww first 3E Victory.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 88 times.
License: Other
4 moves to spare, I think.
05-27-2005 at 02:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cbemom
Tscott wrote:
Regarding the entrance

I did it both ways,

05-27-2005 at 02:50 AM
Blondbeard
I at least did the bombroom the intended way. By the first bomb you have at least three moves to spare, so thereīs plenty of time to get away.
05-27-2005 at 04:54 AM
Tscott
Latest update attached...

3E is finally how I want it (yet there's still a little challenge for you people who MUST kill the seeps first :D).

Also, I've revamped 1S 4E- I think it's a fairly interesting puzzle now. It's got a third less rock golems and about 2/3rds less space to put them in. Have fun.:)

I still am working on finding something better for the last area of 1N1E. So expect an update with that room changed sometime soon. As for the first part of that room, I tried out the solution of standing on the door, it's still tough and clever to figure out, I think I may that area as is. The rest of the rooms (barring any unforeseen problems) are I think finally how I want them.

05-27-2005 at 10:48 AM
Tscott
Ok, I think I've come up with a version of 1N1E I can live with. I'm still welcome to any comments on the hold, but am particularly interested in what players think of 1N1E, 3E, 1S4E, as these have all been recently changed. Thanks.

[Edited by Tscott at Local Time:05-27-2005 at 08:57 PM]

05-27-2005 at 08:56 PM
Blondbeard
Nice changes! Especially the golem room. In my opinion it vent from a funrating of five to a funrating of seven (that is from ok to good). Please add a checkpoint somewhere in the first section of the space where you play with the golems. Though if youīre evil you might even add some more golems. 1N1E also gets better. But you might want to shorten the fuse a little. I made it in my first try, and I donīt belive my solution was even close to optimal. 3E was a bit of a disapointment. It do not get more challanging or fun. Just more timeconsuming. Well, letīs see what others thought...
05-27-2005 at 10:08 PM
Tscott
Checkpoint added in 1S4E. The solution I came up with here can add 2 or 4(?) more golems and still have it solvable, but it becomes very dependent on movement order. I think the current amount is good.

See what you think of the current fuse length in 1N1E.

05-28-2005 at 06:31 AM
Blondbeard
Much better. Now you force me to find a way to leave the threatend area and take care of the seeps later (although I do not think that my solution is the intended one. I have like ten moves to spare before the bomb goes of). Anyway I do not think that my solution is trivial so I belive you should let it stay (or even make it the expected one by shortening the fuse by say five moves.) Nice job! :thumbsup
05-28-2005 at 09:07 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Whispering Walls (A small hold I've been working on)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com