Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (2.0.16 and 3.3.0)
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Re: Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
Yes, post it! I'm sure someone would love the trivia contained therein.

OK; I don't know how to post the file direct from my computer. It seems to be big - lots to scroll down through - so I took a picture of the first bit of it. If it is useful I can take more pictures.

Elf.

10-21-2006 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Thanks, everyone, with testing the last build out and verifying fixes. Here's a remade build that seems to have the correct SDL_ttf library included. Would everyone verify this build now works on every system?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-21-2006 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (+2)  
Hey, glad to be of help.

Your newest version works fine now. Since I wisely exported my player file from 2.0.11 before downloading 2.0.15, I just imported it into 2.0.15. I then played through the JtRH demo included with it.

It worked fine, except for the tinny-sounding... er, sounds. But those were already mentioned.

-Crumbly wall breaking
-Secret room found
-Exit Level
-Slayer's wisp finding you

Also, the "two songs running into each other" bug seems not to have been fixed in this program.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-21-2006 08:47 PM]
10-21-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (0)  
Chaco wrote:
The worst part is that when I run 2.0.11 again, I can't even continue or start a new game, and the restore screen is messed up. Of course, you needn't worry about that; it's probably caused by conflicting data files or something.
Is your 2.0.11 DROD also a jtrh-demo? If so, I can imagine that it's possible for both versions to fight over the DataPath.txt file somehow. Otherwise, your report on this worries me because I don't think installing a different DROD installation (i.e. demo vs full, or JtRH vs KDD2) should mess anything up in a different version.

10-22-2006 at 12:23 AM
Chaco
No, it was just jtrh, since I bought the game and received from Erik a full 2.0.11. Since the data files are stored in different locations for this and the previous version, it shouldn't do anything weird...

I could boot up 2.0.11 and check exactly what happens, but I figured if this works, why use an old version anyway?

10-22-2006 at 03:03 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
You could always just copy the .dats from the demo to the full version. I'm not sure, but I don't think that it wouldn't work.
10-22-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
coppro wrote:
You could always just copy the .dats from the demo to the full version. I'm not sure, but I don't think that it wouldn't work.
considering the holds and images are stored in the dat files, it would be exactly the same as the demo version IIRC, although probably not as stable.
10-22-2006 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Yeah, but the whole point of this patch is to include things such as decoy characters and NPCs moving onto tunnels - moving the .dats from the 2.0.15 version to the full 2.0.11 version won't accomplish that (unless I'm seriously mistaken)

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-22-2006 05:20 PM]
10-22-2006 at 05:19 PM
coppro
Unless I'm mistaken, it would, because the new text data is patched in (the executable should notice it and fix it), and the rest of things (like the decoy) are hard-coded. Patches update the application, not the data files.
10-22-2006 at 05:24 PM
Chaco
Ahem, I mis-spoke earlier. What's actually included in this .dmg file that mrimer is posting on the forum is a full application of JtRH, not a patch.

It's true that a patch might be released, but what's included here is a Journey to Rooted Hold demo for Mac, with all of the 2.0.15 features in it. If a 2.0.15 patch is released for Mac, then I'd download that patch and apply it to my 2.0.11 full version, thus getting a 2.0.15 full version.

10-22-2006 at 07:40 PM
coppro
Right, but if you copy the .dat files from the old version into the new one...
10-23-2006 at 12:42 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Small bug: If there seeps not on walls there dissapear first thing right? Yep. Then, If you hit restart, the seeps take about 10 seconds to dissapear!

10-26-2006 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Might be a problem with this, or might be a problem with caravelnet itself or maybe my computer (but I don't think so seeing as I have fine internet connection and I just restarted my computer). Anyways, my DROD can't connect to caravelnet. It doesn't even see it! This hasn't happened before. It always saw caravelnet but wouldn't connect because my Key was old or whatever. Any ideas? Thanks!

12-02-2006 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer

File: drod-jtrh-osx-demo-2.0.16.rc1.dmg (30.4 MB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (0)  
I've built Mac OS X versions of 2.0.16 (JtRH+KDD) and 3.1.0 (TCB). I'm posting the demo versions here so that people can verify they work, either with a current installation of 2.0 or 3.0 already on disk or with nothing yet installed. If they work like the Windows+Linux builds do, I'll post these RCs as official downloads.

Would anyone who has a Mac (and knows how to back up their player data in case anything goes wrong) be willing to try out one or more of these demo installs?

10-15-2007 at 01:58 AM
mrimer
3.1.0 TCB demo version (Mac OS X).

10-15-2007 at 02:03 AM
mrimer

File: drod-kdd2-osx-demo-2.0.16.rc1.dmg (22.9 MB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
2.0.16 KDD demo version (Mac OS X).

10-15-2007 at 02:08 AM
Jason
mrimer wrote:

I'm on it. So, you just want me to play through the demo levels? Should I post my .dats or .player? I'm fully backed up.

10-15-2007 at 07:57 AM
mrimer
Jason wrote:
mrimer wrote:

I'm on it. So, you just want me to play through the demo levels? Should I post my .dats or .player? I'm fully backed up.
I don't think you need to replay the levels -- just continue playing and doing the things you usually do and see if everything still works. You might check whether bugs that were in 3.0 are now fixed (see the 3.1 fixes thread on the Bugs board). You don't need to post any files unless you encounter a problem on your end and your files seem corrupted or something. I've tried upgrading my 3.0 player.dat file on my Mac and that worked fine.

10-15-2007 at 03:09 PM
Jason
Wow, the new pressure plates are weird! I suppose that the new graphics are intended? As well as the new title screen font? But, all working fine so far.

10-15-2007 at 08:53 PM
mrimer
Jason wrote:
Wow, the new pressure plates are weird! I suppose that the new graphics are intended? As well as the new title screen font? But, all working fine so far.
Yup, that's all intended. Thanks for the report.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-15-2007 09:50 PM]
10-15-2007 at 09:50 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Mike, If I can get access to the main computer at work I will download these files. We are officially on holiday at the moment but I will be going into work tomorrow anyway and I will see what can be done.

10-15-2007 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
mrimer wrote:

I believe I've backed up my old TCB 3.0 information properly by renaming the drod-3_0 folder under Application Support/Caravel/ to something similar to drod-3_0_OLDDATA .

Is that sufficient? I'd like to ask this before I download and test the 3.1.0 demo version. I think it should work, since the demo version should probably store its data in drod-3_0-demo or drod-3_1-demo or somesuch.

10-16-2007 at 12:51 AM
mrimer
Chaco wrote:
mrimer wrote:

I believe I've backed up my old TCB 3.0 information properly by renaming the drod-3_0 folder under Application Support/Caravel/ to something similar to drod-3_0_OLDDATA .

Is that sufficient? I'd like to ask this before I download and test the 3.1.0 demo version. I think it should work, since the demo version should probably store its data in drod-3_0-demo or drod-3_1-demo or somesuch.
Right. The TCB demo version should create a drod-3_0-demo folder. (It uses 3_0, not 3_1, so that a user can install the new version as if it were a patch and keep playing where they left off, and not have to worry about transferring files to a new directory.)

10-16-2007 at 01:07 AM
Chaco
icon Problem with Below Witherwood import (+1)  
I have downloaded the 3.1 demo and run it.

My first act was to create a new, fresh player called "Tester".

I then proceeded to download Below Witherwood from the Holds board thread. DROD managed to successfully get through its first import stage (calculating space needed) but then hung up halfway through the second stage (Importing Data) and had to be terminated manually with a force quit.

I checked the drod-3_0-demo folder for a drod.err but did not find one.

Upon restarting DROD, the Tester player survived but Beneath Witherwood was nowhere to be seen. Repeating the import process generated the same results as above.

I am now going to attempt to import another DROD 3.1.0 hold and a DROD 3.0.0 hold to see whether version makes a difference or whether it's just a general import problem.

EDIT:

Alright, Linoleum Adventure Day (a 3.1 hold) imported fine, with no errors whatsoever.

However, Linoleum Adventure Day lacks several things that Below Witherwood has, including custom characters and sound clips.

[Last edited by Chaco at 10-16-2007 02:15 AM]
10-16-2007 at 02:08 AM
Jason
Same thing happened to me, in fact. Here is my DROD.err:

Click here to view the secret text

Looks like a problem.

10-16-2007 at 07:47 AM
mrimer
Urgh. Looks like an Endian issue with WCHAR texts. These are tedious to debug...

I'll post a new TCB build when I think I've fixed this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-16-2007 05:24 PM]
10-16-2007 at 05:23 PM
Jason
More of the same for Cronical's Of Beethro's Adventures.

10-17-2007 at 07:48 AM
Jason
Drod quit on me while I was poking around in the editor, and gave me this:

Assertion error in line 256 of ../../BackEndLib/CoordIndex.h: "wX < this->wCols && wY < this->wRows"
Assertion error in line 257 of ../../BackEndLib/CoordIndex.h: "this->pbytIndex"

Not sure what the problem is, but maybe you would know?

10-18-2007 at 07:59 AM
Chaco
Just for fun, I decided to download my hold Terrakept Resonant into DROD 3.1, so it would be available.

I experienced similar issues to my above post, so something clicked. And that is that Terrakept Resonant does not have any sound files in it, but it does have custom characters and a custom portrait (namely, a sign)

In summary, a hold with custom characters triggers that Endian issue you were talking about.

Hopefully you're already at the stage where you've found the bug and are fixing it, so this evidence won't be needed, but I'll provide it just in case. :)

10-19-2007 at 02:22 AM
mrimer
Chaco wrote:
In summary, a hold with custom characters triggers that Endian issue you were talking about.
You could be right that there's an issue here...I'll check it out.
Hopefully you're already at the stage where you've found the bug and are fixing it, so this evidence won't be needed, but I'll provide it just in case. :)
Nope. I've been looking but haven't found the problem yet. This may be useful.

10-19-2007 at 05:02 PM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Testers Needed for Mac OS X. (2.0.16 and 3.3.0)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com