Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : About the Prize Pile. (For discussion related to the Prize Pile.)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon Re: About the Prize Pile. (+1)  
Is the description of the CaravelNet Subscription prize accurate? I'm just wondering if the second "2006" shouldn't be a "2005"

This prize is only available to people who don't already have a CaravelNet membership that extends into 2006. In case you're wondering, towards the end of 2006, we'll open it up to anyone who doesn't have membership extending into 2007.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 01-08-2006 04:45 AM]
01-08-2006 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
Well done, Rab. You are more annual than the rest of us...

01-08-2006 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: About the Prize Pile. (0)  
Fixed. Thanks, Rabscuttle.

-Erik

01-08-2006 at 05:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
ErikH2000 wrote:
I would like to keep the Prize Pile topic so that it contains just posts that describe prizes. It's easier to read through it that way. But I'd also like to have discussion about the Prize Pile and things offered there. That's what this topic is for.
-Erik

It seems that the link isn't working (at least for me).
01-08-2006 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Bombadil wrote:
It seems that the link isn't working (at least for me).
Fixed, thanks!

-Erik

01-09-2006 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Sorry to keep bothering, but the problem seems to be deeper.

It seems that all links that refer to http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=#### aren't working.

I noticed that a month ago or so forum URLs changed from www.drod.net/forum to http://forum.caravelgames.com/

So I think it'll be necessary to redirect them to http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=####

[Last edited by Bombadil at 01-09-2006 02:06 PM]
01-09-2006 at 02:05 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Yeah, I realised that when I was trying to click links.

01-10-2006 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
It's true that there are a large number of links still around pointing to drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php. If Matt or I gets some time we might write a passthrough type thing to send the request on to forum.caravelgames.com. This would probably be best for keeping our good search results placement intact.

In the meantime, the workaround is to manually replace "drod.net/forum" with "forum.caravelgames.com", or if the link is something people are coming back to a lot, I'm happy enough to fix it by editing the post.

-Erik

01-11-2006 at 03:29 AM
ErikH2000
icon 8-Timer Prizes (+1)  
Okay, as promised, here is the explanation about a new category of prizes called "8-Timer Prizes"...

I've made a subset of "8-Timer" prizes which cost a little less time and money for us to provide. The "8-Timer" prizes are marked as such in the Prize Pile topic. The problem we'll eventually run into is that there will be many, many people claiming a prize for participating in 8 or more contests. It's quite manageable now, but I'm planning ahead for some growth in our future.

I'm not baiting-and-switching anyone here. If you participated in any contest before August 1st, 2006, then you'll be eligible to claim any prize from the pile--not just 8-timer prizes. Even if it takes you until 2009 to join in eight contests, you'll still get to choose from the complete inventory. Note that as I write this there is one more contest (July 2006) that will be held before the cutoff of August 1st. So it's not too late to get grandfathered in to the old prize selection rules--just participate in the July contest that will be announced this week.

To say it slightly different: this rule change only affects people who have not participated in any contests yet and also don't participate in our next contest (July 2006 contest).

If you decide to contribute a prize (always appreciated!) then you can also choose to make your prize available to eight-timers. Just add "(8-timer)" to the end of the subject of your prize announcement. Contributed prizes aren't available to eight-timers by default.

Lastly, don't anyone feel bad about putting a burden on myself or Caravel with their prize selection. There isn't any problem with the situation now--I am just taking some steps to keep prize awards practical in the future.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-03-2006 04:45 AM]
07-02-2006 at 10:42 PM
Bombadil
icon Re: 8-Timer Prizes (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Okay, as promised, here is the explanation about a new category of prizes called "8-Timer Prizes"...

-Erik

So, let me check if I got this correctly:

If you have not joined a contest before August 1st, 2006, when you have participated in 8 of them you can get only 8-timers.

So the not-8-timers are just for people who win a contest or old contestants who join 8-contests (those who have joined a contest before August 1st, 2006).
07-02-2006 at 11:44 PM
ErikH2000
Exactly right, Bombadil.

-Erik

07-02-2006 at 11:48 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
But I'm assuming that this privilege wears off after we get our first eight-contest prize?
07-02-2006 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Ezlo wrote:
But I'm assuming that this privilege wears off after we get our first eight-contest prize?
Yeah, that's how it works. I'll go back and edit my rules to make this clear.

-Erik

07-03-2006 at 12:27 AM
ErikH2000
I can't seem to figure a concise way to describe if someone is eligible for all the prizes in the pile or just the 8-timer prizes. Since I didn't feel like cluttering up the rules that I had listed in the "Prize Pile" and "Contest Participant" topics, I just said that people can e-mail me to figure it out. But I will elaborate here for the people who are more than slightly interested...

1. Call "Unclaimed Contests" the set of contests in which you participated but have not yet used to claim a prize based on your participation.

2. To claim a prize based on your participation, you must have at least 8 Unclaimed Contests.

3. If the earliest Unclaimed Contest was held before August 1st, 2006, then you may select any prize from the Prize Pile for your claim. Otherwise, you may only select a prize from the Prize Pile that is marked "8-Timer Prize".

4. After claiming your prize, the earliest 8 Unclaimed Contests are no longer part of your Unclaimed Contests set. With your revised set of Unclaimed Contests you can start over from step 1 to claim more prizes.

I think that describes everything. The above rules handle cases like somebody who has participated in 9 pre-August 1st contests and not claimed any participation prizes. (He should be able to get two full prize selections.)

-Erik

07-03-2006 at 12:55 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
In other words, 8-timer prizes are for people for whom those 8 contests are all from august or later.
07-03-2006 at 01:29 AM
ErikH2000
TripleM wrote:
In other words, 8-timer prizes are for people for whom those 8 contests are all from august or later.
Hmm. I guess you are trying to come up with a simpler wording, but I don't think the above is really very clear. The definition of "those 8 contests" isn't provided.

Anyhow, I don't want to be an efficiency expert with words right at the moment. I'm in a "good enough" kind of mood. :) If something doesn't make sense, I'll try to explain it better.

-Erik

07-03-2006 at 02:23 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
ErikH2000 wrote:
TripleM wrote:
Hmm. I guess you are trying to come up with a simpler wording, but I don't think the above is really very clear. The definition of "those 8 contests" isn't provided.

Anyhow, I don't want to be an efficiency expert with words right at the moment. I'm in a "good enough" kind of mood. :) If something doesn't make sense, I'll try to explain it better.

-Erik

I understand perfectly, but if you want to get into the legal mumbo-jumbo, it might be important to add that your Eight earliest contests are automatically used as the submission ones, thus discounting the possibility of using only one such entry per 8 contests, getting better prizes.
07-03-2006 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
coppro wrote:
I understand perfectly, but if you want to get into the legal mumbo-jumbo, it might be important to add that your Eight earliest contests are automatically used as the submission ones, thus discounting the possibility of using only one such entry per 8 contests, getting better prizes.
It was all a bit programmerly, but I think I covered that:

"After claiming your prize, the earliest 8 Unclaimed Contests are no longer part of your Unclaimed Contests set."

-Erik

07-03-2006 at 03:31 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: About the Prize Pile. (+2)  
All legal wordery aside, I'd just like to point out how much I appreciate Erik's efforts to not make his loyal fans feel hard done by with this sort of thing.

The free CaravelNet with JtRH (which I wasn't here for, but read about in other threads), the full SmS history, now the 8-timer prizes... every single time the people who have been around have known a change was coming in advance and been able to jump on the old rules before the new ones come in. That sort of notice makes a nice change from some other organisations' surprise price hikes and condition changes I've been stung with in the past.

Thanks, Erik. :thumbsup
07-03-2006 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Bombadil
ErikH2000 wrote:
Exactly right, Bombadil.

-Erik

Thanks Erik!

Now that I see it... items from the DROD Store aren't 8-timers? What a pity! ^^
07-03-2006 at 11:47 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I have steered clear of the contest forum, because I am so new to DROD and nowhere near to the point of trying to make one of these rooms (and I am quite spectacularly useless at jokes). I chanced upon this thread however (still exploring) and can I just say I think it is such a good idea - even speaking as someone who may never be able/good enough to join in a contest.

May I fling out a wild card suggestion here to see what the rest of you think?

A glance in the stats pages shows that the members of this site are scattered to the four corners of the globe and I wonder if people might offer something indigenous to their country/area as a prize?
Please don’t misunderstand me, I am impressed by people’s generosity and I’m sure all the prizes offered so far are very worthwhile/interesting, but harking back to Erik’s original comment:

This is about having interesting interactions between forum members. It's a social experiment. It's grounding the weird, impersonal, abstractness of the net with the outside physical world. . . . . So there is a little connection here, and personally, I find these connections quite valuable. Hopefully you guys will too!

- promoting that sense of connection might well be helped by also promoting and celebrating the cultural diversity of this community.

I wouldn’t presume to suggest what members from other countries might see as possibilities. Anyway getting a kangaroo or moose through customs might cause problems, ;) but I can think of a few things that are particularly Scottish which might serve and would fit in with this:

The item should be something tangible, i.e. not services, and be worth something between $5 and $25 USD.

I suppose it all depends on whether indigenous items are seen as worthwhile prizes. Food for thought?

Elfstone.

07-03-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I suppose it all depends on whether indigenous items are seen as worthwhile prizes. Food for thought?
I think there is potential in your idea. The only possible downside is that nobody will claim your digeridoo or unicorn horn or whatever it is. But that's only mildly embarrassing. You could drop the prize on the pile, see if anybody claims it after a year or so, and maybe quietly withdraw it later if you want. It's been done before. It's no big deal.

I've been meaning to ask...

What kinds of prizes would people like to see here? Computer games have been the most popular so far, followed by DROD-related prizes. More of that? Anything else you fancy?

-Erik

07-05-2006 at 02:20 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
ErikH2000 wrote:
I've been meaning to ask...

What kinds of prizes would people like to see here? Computer games have been the most popular so far, followed by DROD-related prizes. More of that? Anything else you fancy?

-Erik

Well, I would be partial to a digeridoo or a unicorn horn... O:-

Seriously, though, I can't see myself ever taking a non-DROD related item.

[Last edited by eytanz at 07-05-2006 08:06 AM]
07-05-2006 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm not surprised that a forum for DROD, a computer game, has been pretty hot for DROD-related items and computer games.

07-08-2006 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
A Ferrari Enzo would no doubt see participation increase...
Though the sub 25$ directive may not be workable in this case... :)
07-17-2006 at 02:44 AM
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
a ferrari enzo would have people bribing others to vote well for them :D

i also have a question. would it be possile for just contest winners to get the downloadable version of certain games or just 8 timers, cuz i don't think my parents would let me give away my adress

07-17-2006 at 04:11 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
As I understand it:

Contest winners can claim any prize.

8-timers can only claim an 8-timer prize.

So yes, if you win a contest you can get a downloadable prize.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 07-17-2006 07:26 AM]
07-17-2006 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yeah, what Rabscuttle said! :)

-Erik

07-17-2006 at 07:31 AM
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
ok then cuz it said there was a seperate 8 timer prize for the download so i wasn't quite sure, but now i understand, thanx for clarifying

07-17-2006 at 06:23 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've updated my Thursday Next books offering - it's now an 8-timer prize, and the last two books in the series are signed by the author.

09-13-2006 at 06:22 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : About the Prize Pile. (For discussion related to the Prize Pile.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com