Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Swamp in Witherwood Castle
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged

File: withbug.png (841.6 KB)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Swamp in Witherwood Castle (0)  
I saw this hold recommended on an official page, and figured that made it worth playing.

Then, I got to the level "Catacombs" and, for some reason, certain rooms in that level are in the Swamp room style. Music and everything. Not all of them are like this, others retain the Deep Spaces style that I imagine the level is supposed to have.

The hold was made on the JtRH engine, so that style wouldn't have been available. And from what I understand, back then, custom room styles were just skin packs replacing one of the existing room styles.

To be clear, I'm not actually complaining. In fact, I personally think the Swamp style looks pretty good on those rooms. I'm just pointing this out because it might occur elsewhere, and we should be prepared for that.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 12-11-2023 05:48 AM : added image for proof]
12-11-2023 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Swamp in Witherwood Castle (0)  
It's possible that that room might have been made in Architect's Edition, then later imported/copied into the Journey to Rooted Hold engine - when that happens, the room keeps its internal AE style ID, which would have mapped to a JtRH style back when the JtRH engine was current, but maps to a more modern style in later engines when more styles became available.

This has happened in a few other holds which started as Architect's Edition holds and were then later converted into Journey to Rooted Hold holds. e.g. Deep Hold : Level Four - The Defences of the Downward Passage : Entrance is in Foundation style, but the room directly to the north Deep Hold : Level Four - The Defences of the Downward Passage : 1 North is Swamp.

So, I don't think this is an engine bug, just one of those historical inconsistencies where two rooms on the same level don't technically have the same style.

[Last edited by Chaco at 12-12-2023 02:56 AM]
12-12-2023 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Swamp in Witherwood Castle (0)  
I suspected that, but... does that still happen if the room had been modified while it was in the JTRH engine? Because you might notice the room I used as an example contains some "pile of skulls" obstacles, some of which are 1X1. And another room in the same level has a couple of 4X4 goblin statues, nether of which could be done in AE.

12-12-2023 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1073
icon Re: Swamp in Witherwood Castle (+2)  
Styles are weird, and for extra fun they worked differently prior to TCB. Currently the database stores them using the style name, but 1.6 and 2.0 holds store them as numbers instead.

Looking at the code, I think this is happening:

1. You import the hold, which has the numeric style value field
2. The game parses the numeric style field for a room, and has to convert it to a style name.
3. Since Witherwood Castle is a JtRH hold, it will always convert to a modern style. (If you have the AE style pack installed, the game can convert 1.6 holds to use those AE styles)
4. The style that now corresponds to the number in the hold file is Swamp.

As for editing, a room's style is only changed if you explicitly change it in the editor. Otherwise it gets loaded from the database, sits there doing nothing after the graphics are loaded, then gets saved back to the database again when the room is saved.

12-12-2023 at 09:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Swamp in Witherwood Castle
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com