Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Pipe Push Paradise (Stephen's Sausage Roll but with less grilling and more plumbing)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Lucky Luc
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1215
IP: Logged
icon Pipe Push Paradise (+4)  
So this game came out yesterday. It's a deterministic, untimed, non-trivial puzzle game, so I feel like the DROD community might appreciate it.

It might still be silly to compare every puzzle game like this to SSR, but the whole game had a pretty similar vibe to it. Being on some sort of island, having an open world, focusing on a single game mechanic, elaborating that mechanic in different regions of the game, requiring some three-dimensional thinking, ...

It is however, in my opinion, a lot easier than SSR (which I still haven't fully solved yet). The whole game took me less than 4 hours, and I think I've explored everything there is to explore now. Still, the puzzles are well designed and fun to solve. And the final level is simply brilliant.

So yeah. Recommended. :)

(Also, yeah, slightly weird to emerge from my lurking state just to promote a different puzzle game. I plan to return to DROD once my master's thesis stuff get's more relaxed again)
01-20-2018 at 11:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Pipe Push Paradise (0)  
This looks very cool. Putting it on my "to play" list.

I'm appreciative of the 3D view they've achieved that trades off well with seeing game information clearly.

-Erik

01-27-2018 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
What's SSR...?

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

01-28-2018 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Stephen's Sausage Roll
By all accounts a great puzzle game. Not tried it yet myself.

01-28-2018 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Pipe Push Paradise (+1)  
This game is actually pretty good, but the difficulty really only picks up after the main game, which is a shame because the bonus levels are really novel and explorely deeply into the late-game mechanics (specifically the rotator). I think the devs definitely did tried but haven't delved really deep into the game mechanics like SSR or Baba does, so while it gives the SSR's feeling of "tight manuevers and fiddling/reasoning about what state you can get" it doesn't give the feeling of "this game is taking its mechanics too far". Which isn't a bad thing per se; it's still a great game, just not monumental.

Though I suspect unlike SSR and Baba which things are ultimately parsable, with PPP it's very easy to lose track of all the possible states and simple get disoriented after you have like 4-6 complex pieces around that you have to fiddle without being able to reduce the amount of them; and it keeps us from going more complex with the game. Any more complex and the levels would've become unfathomable.

My only nitpick is it really needs a 3D grid system or something as well as adjustable camera from the default top-down view, because unlike SSR I actually need to count tiles and height differences to see how the pieces will fit with all those ridiculous pipe entrances and formations. Special mention to
and

03-30-2019 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
A quick reminder that Pipe Push Paradise is currently free for grabs in itch.io:

https://coreymartin.itch.io/pipe-push-paradise
03-18-2020 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Pipe Push Paradise (Stephen's Sausage Roll but with less grilling and more plumbing)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com