Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged

File: weird.PNG (36.8 KB)
Downloaded 239 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb (0)  
Something strange happened, here's an image to show you:

Click here to view the secret text

If I move east, the mimic dies but he strikes the orb.

If this is intended, it's not very intuitive.

EDIT: On second thought, it's similar to pushing a mimic from floor to pit and strike the orb. I guess the shallow water tricked me, right?

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 03-06-2015 07:43 PM]
03-06-2015 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb (+1)  
Probably intended. Pushing the mimic east turns him into a sworded mimic on the next tile, which strikes the orb. He then dies. You can similarly push a mimic off the edge of a pit and have him strike an orb as he goes down.

As for whether it's intuitive or not... shallow water and oremites are weird anyway. We're told that Beethro becomes disarmed on oremites because they eat metal, so he knows to disarm himself before stepping onto them. But how does that apply to mimics, decoys and inactive clones, which are not conscious? It seems best to ignore realism in this instance and accept that the disarming and re-arming is somehow automatic, in which case the behaviour shown here is exactly what one would expect.

(And while I wouldn't really want to see this changed as it would break a lot of puzzles, I can't help feeling it would be kind of fun if you could push a guard or Slayer onto oremites, so that he was stunned and couldn't disarm in time and lost his weapon permanently....)

03-06-2015 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb (0)  
So if you were pushing from that position east on land its sword would be pointing south (not east?) Is that right? (Can't check currently)

Interesting and not wholly expected.

03-06-2015 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Jacob wrote:
So if you were pushing from that position east on land its sword would be pointing south (not east?) Is that right? (Can't check currently)

Interesting and not wholly expected.

I just tried this and yes, the mimic points South.

03-06-2015 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Just tried on oremites. If you push something, it doesn't change the direction it's facing if it would normally... which makes sense, since most monsters change their direction when moving but they don't if you push them.

I do wonder if this is an effect of pushing or of stunning, though. If you use Beethro-pushing techniques that end up pushing him off oremites, will he be facing the direction he was on or will he re-orient himself when he leaves the oremites? I wanted to test this myself but I couldn't figure out how to give the mimic a stick.

Either way, I fully expect someone to come up with a completely ridiculous puzzle based on this.
03-06-2015 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
Dragon Fogel wrote: I do wonder if this is an effect of pushing or of stunning, though. If you use Beethro-pushing techniques that end up pushing him off oremites, will he be facing the direction he was on or will he re-orient himself when he leaves the oremites? I wanted to test this myself but I couldn't figure out how to give the mimic a stick.
Either run the mimic over a weapon switch token, or use a mimic-based NPC with this script:
Set var _MyWeapon = 3
Turn into monster

And the answer is that if Beethro steps onto oremites and a mimic pushes him off, he keeps his direction. So the rule is that a pushed entity remains facing the same direction.

Either way, I fully expect someone to come up with a completely ridiculous puzzle based on this.
While it's not completely ridiculous, we felt this behaviour was important enough that we made sure to include a puzzle using it in the oremites level in Entry Point.

03-06-2015 at 10:30 PM
Red-XIII
Dragon Fogel wrote:
Just tried on oremites. If you push something, it doesn't change the direction it's facing if it would normally... which makes sense, since most monsters change their direction when moving but they don't if you push them.

I do wonder if this is an effect of pushing or of stunning, though. If you use Beethro-pushing techniques that end up pushing him off oremites, will he be facing the direction he was on or will he re-orient himself when he leaves the oremites? I wanted to test this myself but I couldn't figure out how to give the mimic a stick.

It's also possible with a clone or a time clone, and with the last one I agree that creepy puzzles can be made xD

To Nuntar:
This applies also to shallow water, so in Entry Point you should describe these similitudes and differences, though it can also be considered an "Advanced Concept" IMO.

03-06-2015 at 10:37 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb (+1)  
I am pretty sure that, even though seems weird, it is entirely intended. The first thing that the mimic does, after being pushed, is unsheathing the weapon which strikes the orb... And then it just drowns.

I am marking this as not a bug.

05-17-2015 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Weird behaviour with staff, shallow water, mimic and orb
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com