Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 488
IP: Logged
icon 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+3)  
You know, because why not? Script some challenges, utilize the newer room styles, put lighting and weather effects into the ones older then TCB, the works.

Put the origional architects in charge of each one, because that makes sense, maybe give custom avatars to the charachters from the ones that were built in the JTRH engine, like Denfry and the Geometry Perfectioist.

02-16-2015 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+1)  
It's a fine idea - maybe once we're done beautifying our flagship titles we could go ahead and do this.

There weren't a lot of challenges for the Smitemasters' Selection rooms, but adding the character portraits and character tiles alone would be super-helpful.

In the case of Devilishly Dangerous Dungeons of Doom, the architect, Calamarain, hasn't been seen in a long time. I think as part of the Smitemasters' Selection release process, Caravel can just go ahead and modify the rooms however they want, but obviously it would be nice if we could contact him again.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-16-2015 10:50 AM]
02-16-2015 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RabidChild
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+1)  
Character portraits would be nice, but it a lot of cases, that would mean getting someone Erik to draw them. I guess you could use the cover art for some, like Denfry. And it would be nice to update FtFT with the new artwork for First Chemist and the Vessels.

Here's a question: why limit it to Smitemaster's Selections? If an architect wants to add challenges to an older hold, that should be doable, right? I know it would require re-verifying all the existing demos, but I would imagine that's a much shorter process for holds that aren't KDD or JtRH.

[Last edited by RabidChild at 02-16-2015 03:03 PM]
02-16-2015 at 03:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+2)  
RabidChild wrote:
Here's a question: why limit it to Smitemaster's Selections? If an architect wants to add challenges to an older hold, that should be doable, right? I know it would require re-verifying all the existing demos, but I would imagine that's a much shorter process for holds that aren't KDD or JtRH.
I'm open to that.

I really need to build in actual support for this - right now it's a bit of a hack and requires code changes for every hold, in multiple places. If any architects are interested in upgrading their holds to have challenges, post here to let me know so I know how important it is to add better support for this.

02-16-2015 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+2)  
Some suggestions for holds to upgrade:

Easy or Hard is an obvious candidate for challenges.

The Fool's Errand could use scripting so its "trick" works again.

Dan's Dungeon has a small number of rooms that badly need checkpoints. Also, being an 18-level hold built in 3.0, it could benefit from more variety of room styles. (True, a lot of old holds have bad checkpointing. But this is a special case, as it's one of very few holds that's a top recommendation for absolute beginners.)

Gigantic Jewel Lost could award challenges for intended solutions in a few rooms with USs (or vice-versa), and could use scripting so 5.0 music plays in the levels using custom styles.

02-16-2015 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (+4)  
I wouldn't mind Challenge-ifying A Quiet Place.
02-19-2015 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Rank Points: 488
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (0)  
I can't help but feel like this thread is being sidetracked. Schik, if you want to ask that kind of question, start a new thread for it.

02-19-2015 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
Rank Points: 1638
icon Re: 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections? (0)  
jdyer wrote:
I wouldn't mind Challenge-ifying A Quiet Place.

Wow, I just saw this for the first time today. I for one would be thrilled if you did this! A Quiet Place has always been one of my favorite holds. I would love the excuse to re-play it.

05-06-2015 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : 5.0 upgrades of Smitemaster Selections?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com