Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor demo description bug (victory demos aren't described as room conquering)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
IP: Logged

File: demo description bug hold.hold (1006 bytes)
Downloaded 19 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Minor demo description bug (+2)  
If you record a victory demo for a room that only involves monsters getting killed by briar (without the player stabbing any monsters), then the resulting victory demo will be described as "The player is just passing through", despite the fact that they cleared the room.

Compare this to the case where a monster is fried on a hot tile, where the victory demo will say "Player conquers the room after slaying just one monster", even though again the player didn't directly kill the monster.

The test hold contains two trivial rooms: The Entrance, which contains briar and a roach (and an orb to hit, which doesn't seem to affect the bug one way or another), and Once East, which contains a hot tile and a roach.

02-09-2015 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
icon Re: Minor demo description bug (+1)  
Also mentioned here

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-09-2015 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
For thoroughness, I looked at some other indirect kills. Spikes, fire traps, explosions, and Puffs all give "the player kills a handful of monsters".

On a related note, some lines in demo descriptions refer to the player as "he" - "then he leaves", "then he exits the level". Since neither the player character nor the person playing the game are necessarily male, perhaps this could be changed to "the player then leaves".
02-09-2015 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Minor demo description bug (+2)  
I've been looking into this and there are indeed some inconsistencies in kills - briar and adder eating stuff do not increase kill count but everything else indeed seems to.

I don't think it's possible to make things consistent though, it's not like you can determine whether a kill was ultimately caused by intentional player manipulation or by monsters and elements just doing their stuff.

As such, I've changed it so that both briar kills and adders eating stuff will count as monsters being killed for the purpose of generating demo descriptions (and possibly other purposes too).

PR

[Last edited by skell at 09-30-2020 08:03 AM]
09-30-2020 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Minor demo description bug (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
some lines in demo descriptions refer to the player as "he" - "then he leaves", "then he exits the level". Since neither the player character nor the person playing the game are necessarily male, perhaps this could be changed to "the player then leaves".
Agreed. Corrected pronoun usage in this PR, which will include the updated texts packaged into the game install in the next major version (5.2).

Skell edit: the above was reported separately here

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by skell at 10-13-2020 10:55 AM]
09-30-2020 at 02:56 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Can confirm in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-16 that kills by briar and kills by adder both count as player kills for the purposes of demo descriptions.
10-17-2020 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragomir7
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Minor demo description bug (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
For thoroughness, I looked at some other indirect kills. Spikes, fire traps, explosions, and Puffs all give "the player kills a handful of monsters".

On a related note, some lines in demo descriptions refer to the player as "he" - "then he leaves", "then he exits the level". Since neither the player character nor the person playing the game are necessarily male, perhaps this could be changed to "the player then leaves".

+1. Was playing as 84th Negotiator on her TCB level (filled with Fergundi), and all the demo descriptions look really out of place here.
03-22-2021 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor demo description bug (victory demos aren't described as room conquering)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com