Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Avatar not updating when switching custom characters
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
IP: Logged
icon Avatar not updating when switching custom characters (+1)  
My hold Bubble Wrap has one level in which you switch between controlling Johanna and Gunthro (like clones). When Johanna had a Beethro template with the default avatar, this worked fine. However, when I installed a custom avatar for Johanna, the avatar displayed in the top-left of the playing area is always Johanna's even after switching to Gunthro.

07-20-2014 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Avatar not updating when switching custom characters (0)  
Nuntar, are you able to extract an example from your hold? Or you can tell me which level/room and I'll access it using my magic admin powers.

10-06-2020 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Avatar not updating when switching custom characters (+1)  
The level is Two's Company, and it affects every room of the level.

10-06-2020 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell

File: Speech Tests.hold (48.3 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Avatar not updating when switching custom characters (+3)  
And a PR posted.

This was accompanied by a big rewrite of the widget that displays player's face, so I am attaching a test hold. Instruction are in the scrolls but here's a copy:

Click here to view the secret text

Also, this PR changes one behavior - previously a speaking character's portrait was prioritised over player's dying animation, but this change swaps it. Even if someone is speaking you'll see Beethro flap his tongue around. It was not intentional, happened as a consequence of making something else work and I don't know if it's a good change or no-one cares about it. I can see reasons for keeping it and reverting it, so I'll leave it up to you to discuss and Mike to make the final call.

[Last edited by skell at 10-08-2020 08:17 PM]
10-08-2020 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I'm OK with the player's dying animation taking precedence over someone talking. I think it's a more important event in that soon the player will be unable to perceive anybody talking at all anymore.

10-08-2020 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Chaco wrote:
I'm OK with the player's dying animation taking precedence over someone talking. I think it's a more important event in that soon the player will be unable to perceive anybody talking at all anymore.
+1

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-13-2020 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Tried out everything in the big test hold. Everything seems to be working fine in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18, except with one major issue.

When the player falls asleep, they will no longer wake up until the game is quit. I leave the room in the editor and playtest again, still asleep. I go and change the hold then play a regular game in a different hold, still asleep.

Is it correct that the player will only fall asleep in "peaceful" rooms playing ambient music? I'm wondering why the player will not fall asleep in the Entrance.
10-18-2020 at 04:30 PM
skell
Ah-ha! Falling asleep was the issue, imma fix it. I'll also answer your question about falling asleep requirements when I sit down to work on this

10-18-2020 at 04:41 PM
skell
icon Re: Avatar not updating when switching custom characters (+2)  
And fixed PR.

Generally Beethro won't fall asleep when danger level > 0, among myriad of other reasons. And I believe danger level is not updated once the room is started, so until you leave and come back you won't hear Beethro sleep.

10-18-2020 at 08:44 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
Can confirm this is now fixed in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-29. Beethro and Gunthro will now wake up correctly instead of being stuck asleep forever.
10-31-2020 at 06:17 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Avatar not updating when switching custom characters
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com