Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Nameless Fortress (Community collaboration #2)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.7/10 (9 votes)
σ 0.82
Author Name:Michael S. Repton
Submitted By:Nuntar
Hold Name:Nameless Fortress
Theme:Community collaboration #2
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:174
Number of Monsters:994
Version:DROD RPG: Tendry's Tale (1.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+50 / -50)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Nameless Fortress.drh (87.2 KB)
Downloaded 514 times.
License: Other
icon Nameless Fortress  
The result of the second iteration of the collaborative hold-building game. As with eb0ny's "Hold Anonymous", each architect was assigned rooms to build, with no knowledge of what would be in adjacent rooms. This iteration contains further experimentation with level structures; a bonus boss who can only be found with the aid of certain accessories; and the choice of playing the hold in Normal or Hard difficulty. Hard is the hold as it came out of the collaboration process; Normal was added to make it more accessible. To reward the player for choosing Hard difficulty, all score checkpoints are multiplied by 3/2.

The last part of the building process was done in 1.2.0.56, so you need this version or later to play it.
02-16-2014 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: Nameless Fortress (0)  
Well, it's finally published and ready for the public to optimize. This hold came out pretty well - in my opinion, this hold is more accessible than Hold Anonymous, because the first level of this hold is a relatively easy warm-up compared to some of the very tricky and constricting choices of Hold Anonymous' first level.

The level layouts, by coincidence, strike a nice balance where there are some constrictions on route and movement, but there are still plenty of options and different ways to get from point A to point B, and furthermore it might not be completely obvious which equipment to get first.

Another thing that I will mention is that Normal and Hard difficulties have some changes that might make playthroughs drastically more different - for example, one of the first changes is that a particular door in a boss room is a green door on Normal and a blue door on Hard.

Finally, here's a hint for prospective players: There end up being more blue keys and skeleton keys than are completely necessary to progress. Spending those extra keys might help you. On the other hand, extra blue keys and skeleton keys count for score, so as always it's up to you to figure out how to proceed.

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-16-2014 07:33 PM]
02-16-2014 at 04:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
A worthy addition to the RPG releases. It's huge and has tons of choices along the way, many of which aren't just traps but actually viable options for getting through the levels.

Some points will have to be reducted for very frequent use of hot tiles and aumtlich. There's some in just about every level, which means you're constantly running back and forth to collect skipped potions if you want to be efficient. Same for carrying the low level wooden equipment into every oremite corner of the hold.

I jumped into the hard mode blindly and it certainly lived up to its name. I think I replayed the first half of the hold about three times until I got good enough stats to proceed further. Expect to spend a lot of hours if you hit the orb in the first room.

A few words about score points for optimizers:
Click here to view the secret text

02-16-2014 at 05:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 618
icon Re: Nameless Fortress (+2)  
(Half) conquered! I finished it in easy mode.

I have to start by saying that this hold is terrific, I really enjoyed it.

There were a couple of things I didn't love but compared to all the hold it's nothing. One thing I'd like to point out, the skeleton key under the "Lost soul" on "The disused sewers 1N3W" become a green key after entering level 6, maybe a scroll would have been useful. Same thing on "Nameless fortress 3W" you don't need the pickaxe once you defeated the giant golem. Maybe the architects put these things as secret but in my opinion the player should know them.
Last thing, I loved that once you entered the final level every monsters became twice as powerful but you can immediately go for the really big sword and oremite shield and after that the whole level become really easy (though I'm not sure what will happen in hard mode there). I managed to beat the final boss with only a wooden shield and nothing more; I chose a defense route (ended up with more than 1000) but even if I had the chance to fight against the secret boss ( couldn't do it because I had only 1 portable orb) I had no idea you needed so much attack.
This is just my opinion but I'd like to know what the architects think about this :)

Aside from those details I loved this hold, there were tons and tons of choices and even if there was only a shortcut, many hot tiles and aumtlich I didn't bothered much because every level was really big and I needed my best equipment to clear them at 100% and I really like when an hold makes me think "What now? What's left there? What if?"

I definitely want to try hard mode (in the future) because right now I gave 6 for difficulty (mainly for the middle part) but if is possible it would be cool to have two difficulty bars. What do you think about it?

Well done to all who worked on this hold!

02-21-2014 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gordius
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 91
icon Re: Nameless Fortress (+1)  
If it helps, Red, the secret boss is killable under a defense path, at least in easy. I actually had a better time dealing with it under a defense path than attack.
02-21-2014 at 05:08 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I really like this hold! And I'm very pleased with the secret boss. Felt like a good challange. And really good idea to have a hard and an easy mode! The one thing I don't like (or like a bit, but mostly not), are the hot tiles and aumtlichs. There is a needless amount of trying to keep your HP as low as possible at all times... Hard mode felt well balanced, and I'm sorry I wasn't part of the final testing.

Everything is beautiful, and polished as well :) I ended up never using the hand bomb, for reasons Doom have already covered. Kinda wish I had read that before playing...
11-10-2014 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
YungVenuz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Howdy! I'm reviving this thread, first to say that I completed this hold's secret boss on hard mode and found it to be one of the best holds I've played so far, but more importantly to ask for help finding the last secret room.

There's 8 total, I've got seven so far:

Where on earth is the last one? I've scoured the map for breakable walls without luck, and started trying really silly things like breaking into the one unconnected sewer duct with the pickaxe, and using wall walking to get into the rep store's staircase (incidentally, this counts as completing the hold). I'd be happy with even just the floor the secret shows up on, so I can narrow my search. Mostly I just want hold mastery so I can go into edit mode and check out the scripting that went into some of the rooms.
03-12-2016 at 11:59 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4576
You are missing one in

There is a clue in the adjoining room as to where to look for the secret -- though it will also open if you

03-13-2016 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
YungVenuz
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Thanks! I really should have suspected something was going on with that room from the get-go.

Fantastic hold overall. I'd say the difficulty peaks around the first sewers visit, and I'm still not sure I got the timing on the claymore pickup right. the rest of the hold isn't too shabby either, though, and I appreciated the first level being a mostly self-contained tutorial to the hold's style.
03-14-2016 at 09:23 AM
mobius
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
First of all; I'm immensely enjoying this hold, very challenging but very fun!

But I'm running into a game breaking glitch;
I don't know why this happens, and it happens consistently with this pirate. Unlike other times I experienced this glitch (usually with a mimic, when I was about to kill a mimic the game would crash, it didn't happen consistently.
12-08-2023 at 12:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Holds : Nameless Fortress (Community collaboration #2) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com