Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Increasing Hold Discoverability (Because difficulty and rating don't go far enough.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Increasing Hold Discoverability (+7)  
The conversation came up from a discussion in CaravelNet chat relating to this topic, but part of the issue with the amount of holds we have right now is that for people newer, finding a custom hold they'll enjoy can theoretically be a little daunting. I know for myself, I haven't really played custom holds that much (Yes, I'm a terrible person), but for me to try and find a hold that I am interested is fairly hard. Rating is a good indication of the quality of the hold, but doesn't really tell you what's all in it. So, with that, here was the big suggestion that a couple of us were discussing.

Categorizing Holds/Tagging Holds
Basically, have a set list of tags that people can use to search based on puzzles, primary monster/style of puzzle feature in the hold, etc. You can broadstroke tags such as #horde, #lynchpin, or get into more detail and have #seep (For holds like Whispering Walls), #trapdoorpuzzles, etc (All just examples) to allow people to search for holds that feature elements/a desgin style that they would like to play or learn more about.

For future holds, HAs could easily tag and start. For existing holds, either have them hand-tagged by a group of people with a lot of hold knowledge and time on their hands, or some up with a system of people can add tags if it's an already approved tag AND a couple of other people agree with the tag being given to the hold. Again, that is up in the air.

I think there are other options to look at too (Possibly a featured, hand-picked hold to feature each month in game or something), but this would certainly make searching for holds on the site.

Anyone else have ideas? Comments?

02-04-2014 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3741
IP: Logged
icon Re: Increasing Hold Discoverability (+2)  
Good ideas.

When I did some hold reviews, I project I subsequently abandoned, I gave an assessment of how much tar, snakes, efficiency, story etc were present in the hold. here

Doing this in a more flexible way sounds like a great idea.
I think having tagging open for all is a good idea, with the proviso that the proposed tag must be agreed with by a set number of users or by an HA/moderator.

02-05-2014 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Increasing Hold Discoverability (Because difficulty and rating don't go far enough.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com