Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Goo (Tarstuff)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: Goo.hold (12.3 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Goo (+3)  
This is a tarstuff themed hold made out of rooms from a different hold in architecture. That hold will probably ignored while I develop this.

As for this hold, it has a wing of tarstuff without mothers and a wing with mothers, both of which have some hard rooms. I'm hoping that someone who dislikes most tarstuff could reasonably enjoy the required rooms in the inert wing. The growth wing, for the most part does not have large spawning hordes, and I'm thinking that I may want to tone down the room that does.

My personal favorite rooms are 1N1W, 1N4W and 1S2E, but I'm quite pleased with a number of the rooms.

EDIT:I have submitted this hold to the HA's

Last update:Feb 23 2014

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-27-2014 02:48 AM]
01-25-2014 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1305
icon Re: Goo (+2)  
1S1W: Not too difficult, but good. I would have had a harder time without the scroll. :P

1N4W: I have no idea how to solve this. It seems that they won't finish if they can't place every trapdoor, not any trapdoors. Reading the scroll again, I think this is what you mean, but remove the 's' from trapdoors. Words are tricky.

5W: You can do this with one less decoy potion.

1N3W: Really clever. I think this is my favourite so far.

1N2W: Nice lynchpin.

Overall, horrifying. :P
01-26-2014 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
The one that does have a horde (2E) is rather nasty, but I wouldn't be too discouraged as to it's interest. I think that is is one of the better horde problems that I have faced. However, 1N 2E I can't get headway on. But I will take your word for it's solvablity.

I wish that man would stay away
01-26-2014 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
I'm glad people are playing this hold, as horrifying as the hold may be. I've updated the hold, but the changes are relatively miner and don't change any puzzles as far as I know.

I can confirm that every room is solvable, even the one with lying scrolls that say it might not be. I've also removed or modified said lying scrolls.

I don't think I've specifically changed any puzzles yet, though there are a couple that I'm planning to change eventually.

For 1S1W, I'm considering changing the trick that it requires, since I like the concept, but it sounds like a medium difficulty room like this might be nice.

In addition I'm not sure about 2E since I do agree that it's an interesting horde room, but I think it would still be interesting with a couple less tar mothers. It is definitely a bit of a slog too.

I also plan to remove 1S4E, I'll probably keep it in during beta, but I may not keep it beyond then. It's also a very sloggy room and the interesting part of the room is not bad, but more of a pain to execute than anything.

If you guys want any help or hints for any of the rooms, like 1N4W or 1N2E I can provide.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-02-2014 04:37 AM]
02-02-2014 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Pretty sure the way I solved 1E is unintended, because it was ridiculously easy, and I didn't need decoy potions. Attached demo of how I did it. EDIT: attachment removed, replayed room in new version and it seems fixed.

1N 2W and 1S 1W also seemed pretty easy, but maybe they are intended to be like that.

In addition I'm not sure about 2E since I do agree that it's an interesting horde room, but I think it would still be interesting with a couple less tar mothers. It is definitely a bit of a slog too.

I liked 2E, would be pretty sad if it was made easier/less messy :'( Though, I guess some other players won't share my opinion about it.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-02-2014 08:48 AM]
02-02-2014 at 07:24 AM
blorx1
icon Re: Goo (0)  
I could have sworn I'd caught everything like that, but I guess not. I updated the hold with something that should fix 1E. The two other rooms, 1S1W and 1N2W are both intended to be pretty simple.

As for 2E, I remember it being a bit fiddly, but if people like it I'll probably keep it as it is. That being said, the current version could work as post-mastery content to replace 1S4E if I take it out.

02-02-2014 at 07:43 AM
blorx1
So, I got some demos from mxvladi and I think I fixed an unintended solution in 1S1E.
Click here to view the secret text

Oddly enough it seems that it is currently solvable with only 3 decoy potions, but I'll probably leave it in since my solution still requires some work.

Looking at demos for some other rooms:
mxvladi's trick for 1N4E allows me to make a demo that only takes 2 decoy potions. I was never quite happy with the room in the first place so I'm considering enforcing such a solution.

In addition, for 5W, I'm considering enforcing using one less decoy potion since the room is rather simple at the moment and removing the potion would make the difficulty fit better.

The solution for 1W was different than my original plan. I like both, but I could enforce mine if I wanted by putting three decoy potions on a closed red door. That being said, I don't think I'll ever be perfectly happy with the room and it's fine as it is.

I don't think I'll change 1E, since mxvladi's trick makes the room much simpler to deal with as a horde. Enforcing mine would just be annoying so I don't plan on that.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 02-02-2014 07:51 PM]
02-02-2014 at 07:51 PM
mxvladi
Solved 2 of secrets so far.

1N 3E good, pretty tricky room.

1S 2E is broken I'm afraid. Really easy to fix though.

Two western secret rooms both look pretty tough. Haven't made much progress on them yet.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-03-2014 12:54 PM]
02-03-2014 at 12:44 PM
blorx1
mxvladi wrote:
1S 2E is broken I'm afraid. Really easy to fix though.

Two western secret rooms both look pretty tough. Haven't made much progress on them yet.

Nice catch for 1S2E, I'll upload a fix later this week.

As for the western secrets, they are pretty tough. I was rather surprised when I managed to make working rooms out of them.

02-04-2014 at 04:30 AM
mxvladi
mastered woohoo

1N 4W - pretty sure I broke it.

1S 4W - ended up with one decoy potion to spare. Assuming that is "extra decoy potion" you're talking about in the scroll there, everything's ok.

onto postmastery stuff now...

02-05-2014 at 07:12 AM
blorx1
I uploaded a new version fixing the two broken secret rooms. I believe both should work as intended and I've re-recorded demos to confirm that they can be solved.

Thanks for catching those issues. A note about 1S4E, as the scroll outside the room says, I probably won't keep the room, at the very least it will probably be changed majorly before I release the hold.

02-07-2014 at 03:18 AM
mxvladi
Completed 1S 3E, I love it. Lots of small things I had to figure out even after understanding what I'm actually supposed to do.

Time to replay rooms which I've broken at first.
02-13-2014 at 03:45 AM
blorx1
mxvladi wrote:
Completed 1S 3E, I love it. Lots of small things I had to figure out even after understanding what I'm actually supposed to do.

Time to replay rooms which I've broken at first.

I'm really glad you like 1S3E since I was quite worried that the trick would seem annoying or sneaky, which it isn't entirely. Once you look through the couple "fixed" rooms I'll probably post a new version, I'll probably also enforce a solution with one less decoy potion in 5W after that.

02-13-2014 at 04:16 PM
blorx1
icon Re: Goo (+1)  
I got some new demos from mxvladi and it appears that nothing was broken. I uploaded a new version with some release candidate type changes and shifted a passageway or two (not by much and I doubt it affects demos).

I also removed a decoy potion from 5W since the room is pretty trivial without having it taken out.

I'll probably upload this to HA sooner or later if nobody has anything more to say.

02-23-2014 at 04:58 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626

File: Goo Goo 1N1W Victory.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm still in the middle of playing this hold for HA purposes, but here's something neat I noticed for 1N1W:

I actually managed to beat the length requirement by a turn - I could have solved the room even if the eye were a square further away from the briar (see attached demo).

The timer length is good as it is, though, since with the current length it's easy to be short one square, which is as it should be.

03-18-2014 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
blorx1
Chaco wrote:
I actually managed to beat the length requirement by a turn - I could have solved the room even if the eye were a square further away from the briar (see attached demo).

The timer length is good as it is, though, since with the current length it's easy to be short one square, which is as it should be.
That's impressive, and a bit surprising. I would definitely not shorten the timer any more since the lynchpin is already necessary and making it any harder doesn't add all that much.

03-19-2014 at 01:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Goo (Tarstuff)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com