Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Monstro: Battle Tactics (A deterministic puzzle-tactic game by Skell)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
IP: Logged

File: idb_header.jpg (35.5 KB)
Downloaded 382 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Monstro: Battle Tactics (+5)  

A deterministic puzzle-tactic. It is like chess but the units have statistics and your opponent is noticeably dumber than the average grandmaster.

Purchase Monstro: Battle Tactics
Get on Steam: store.steampowered.com/app/369310
Get on Indie Game Stand (DRM-free): https://indiegamestand.com/store/2345/monstro-battle-tactics/
Listen to the OST for free: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njC459MYhQE&list=PLpqXRMVuZofiVM03uazAch_DhtscJ3ek4

Description:
On Ludus, ancient terror beasts and humans somehow coexist in perfect harmony. Yet once every few hundred years or so, a predictably unpredictable astrological phenomenon occurs wherein some angry people from the sky arrive from their dimension, "Terra". Whenever they arrive, a fleet of floating islands are brought along and make up the battlefields where the humans and the beasts battle for the amusement of the angry Skygods.

Welcome to Monstro. A fully deterministic logic game which plays like a tactical RPG but without RP, character growth or randomness. Fight the opposing army on the battlefield, which just so happens to be made up of conveniently perfect squares. Survive the onslaught and strike back to be the last one standing. Or, occasionally, do something else the evil Skygods want to be done for their own amusement.

[Last edited by skell at 12-09-2015 03:13 PM]
01-10-2014 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 4592
icon Re: Monstro: Battle Tactics (0)  
I had a look at the demo. Very nice music and graphics, and I like the game concept.

Tutorial tips such as "attack the fake wall" should have a dismiss button. That one stayed on-screen for a couple of rounds and was annoying.

More explanation of all the numbers? I didn't really get how to predict how much damage you do to enemies and vice versa. (I'm sure I'd have picked this up soon, but I couldn't play for very long as it runs very slowly on my machine.)

01-10-2014 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
Very nice indeed. I agree with Nuntar - especially regarding the speed of the demo. It runs painfully slow on my machine to the point where I lose interest through frustration.
01-11-2014 at 08:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Boris Carl Orff wrote:
Very nice indeed. I agree with Nuntar - especially regarding the speed of the demo. It runs painfully slow on my machine to the point where I lose interest through frustration.
It's very unfortunate, because the game is pretty optimized and I have not noticed any slowdowns - on my computer it runs smoothly. Are you using Google Chrome by any chance?

01-11-2014 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Monstro: Battle Tactics (+2)  
It seems there is a long standing issue in Chrome (since August 2012) wherein the Pepper Flash Player, a special version of the Flash Player bundled with Google Chrome has performance issues. The issue has not been resolved since then apparently, I've checked it on another laptop with both Chrome and Firefox - worked fine on the latter.

The solution is to disable the Pepper Flash - http://www.dailytut.com/apple/chrome-pepper-flash-player-disable.html

I'll try to work around this issue.

01-11-2014 at 09:04 AM
Boris Carl Orff
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Monstro: Battle Tactics (+1)  
Yes I do use Chrome as my standard browser. So I followed the directions to disble the Pepper Flash plug-in and... only marginally better. However, it works fine under Firefox as you mentioned.
01-11-2014 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
I have a Mac and Linux versions ready, but I don't have a way to test if they work. Would anyone with either (or both) systems would like to volunteer to try if everything works more or less correctly?

02-17-2014 at 06:40 PM
skell
I'd just like to take this moment to remind people about this game :).

December 3rd Monstro will hit Steam with updated interface, new and improved levels, better controls and general polish.

Alex Diener recently did a first impressions video of the game which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMH1Y0TDdg
Stay tuned for more updates!

And if anyone would like to help us spreading the word about the game, give a shout about us on Facebook or you could retweet our tweets as they come.

[Last edited by skell at 11-17-2015 10:42 PM]
11-17-2015 at 10:36 PM
skell
So a couple of things happened today. First of all, we've got a new trailer for Monstro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW3SuSwvKog Give it a like and distribute it among your friends :).

Monstro is also now officially on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/369310 The game will have a launch discount, 10%, for the first week after the release so make sure you don't miss it! The best way to not miss it is to wishlist the game ;)

We've also got a dedicated page for Monstro on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/monstrobattletactics/ Give it a like and give it a share for the good'ol Skell and his endless quest to market his game to more than 5 people :).

I'll appreciate any and all buzz you can make around the game! Tell your friends about it, tell yourself about it, your colleagues and even your parents! If you are children they can also be added to the loop :smile

11-19-2015 at 07:40 PM
Kargaros
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
Monstro: Battle Tactics was released on Steam today -- which Steam happily reminded me of by email not only once, but twice :)

[Last edited by Kargaros at 12-03-2015 08:23 PM]
12-03-2015 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell

File: MonstroIndieGameStand.jpg (55.7 KB)
Downloaded 388 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Monstro: Battle Tactics (+4)  

I am happy to say that Monstro has been approved on Indie Game Stand so you can now play the game even if you are a Steam skeptic!

Get Monstro: https://indiegamestand.com/store/2345/monstro-battle-tactics/

The game has a 10% discount until December 10.

[Last edited by skell at 12-07-2015 07:15 PM]
12-07-2015 at 05:09 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
"Non-deterministic"?

My understanding was that it was deterministic, and that was one of the selling points....

12-09-2015 at 10:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Jacob wrote:
"Non-deterministic"?

My understanding was that it was deterministic, and that was one of the selling points....

Brainfart. I've been doing way too many things lately and I make stupid mistakes here and there. Fixed.

12-09-2015 at 03:14 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
For anyone who hasn't tried this yet, it's pay-what-you-want on Indie Game Stand for the next few days: https://indiegamestand.com/deal/
08-08-2016 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Monstro: Battle Tactics (A deterministic puzzle-tactic game by Skell)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com