Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Poisonus gas (Idea)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
EpickMan89
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 25
IP: Logged
icon Poisonus gas (+19)  
This is just an idea

Poisonous Gas is a new type of natural element. Every 30 moves on Beethro's clock the gas well spread 1 tile horizontal and vertically. Beethro can only take 1 or maybe more steps in it, like hot tiles,

Enemy's well have the same property's as such on hot tiles.

Briar's Well be slowed, like pits slow briar's.

Along with the subject I think there should be a vent on the ground, which can be triggered by a orb, to start spreading gas, other then it spreading on its own.

[Last edited by EpickMan89 at 05-23-2013 09:13 PM]
05-22-2013 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon This really isn't a good structure for a post. (+1)  
Subj.

Really, regardless of whether you stated your point in your subject you need to restate it in your post or nobody will take you seriously. I know this because someone a while back did what you're doing now and nobody took him seriously.
05-22-2013 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
icon Re: Poisonus gas (0)  
To be honest with myself, I think you are an idiot, Which agree with this post. (Sorry to put my 2 cents in.)

Someone would have done it.

... seriously though, what Someone Else said is true, if you're going to make a feature request you ought to actually describe it, in the post, rather than just a one line phrase in the subject.

As for the FR itself - it's not a bad idea. I'm not sure it really makes sense - I mean, gas doesn't tend to just stay put, so it would have to fill the entire room [Edit - unless this is meant to be a tarstuff variant, in which case ignore this point]. Also, is normal air the antidote? So do you mean you can only take five consecutive moves in it?

Also, does it affect (all) monsters?

I actually think this could have some puzzle potential, although I'm not sure if a new game element is likely to be implemented at this stage.

[Last edited by Kwerulous at 05-24-2013 09:43 PM]
05-22-2013 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
EpickMan89
icon Re: Poisonus gas (-2)  
Not to put my 2 cents in, Captain Idiot. But this was only something I posted for people to expand onto, If I had a idea which I thought hard about, then go ahead. :) sorry for being narky but thanks.

[Last edited by EpickMan89 at 05-23-2013 09:58 AM]
05-23-2013 at 09:57 AM
Kwerulous
Rank Points: 340
That was just meant to be a light-hearted joke, I was not really calling you an idiot. Perhaps I didn't think it through that much but I thought it was comical at the time and that it would be obvious I wasn't being serious. I then went on to write some genuine comments on your idea. I certainly didn't intend to upset or cause offence to you or anyone else, so I apologise if I did.
05-23-2013 at 10:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
EpickMan89
To be honest I noticed what you wrought then posted, then I read the stuff under, BTW I noticed.

05-23-2013 at 10:23 AM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
So ... uncomfortably warm tiles? :)
05-23-2013 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Not a bad idea.

Does it kill monsters?
Does it spread? Across pits/water? What blocks it?
What releases it?

05-23-2013 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Jacob wrote:
What releases it?
Beethro, of course.

We'd need to add a food-meter to the play area, possibly in the shape of a tall roach-burger that loses roaches as Beethro gets hungry. (If we're going to show Beethro's face to the world, we might as well go all-in.)

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-23-2013 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Shendy
Rank Points: 132
As mentioned by other posters, please elaborate. There are some points that I want to ask below:

- Can this poisonous gas be neutralized/destroyed?

- If it spreads, how many turns does it take for it to expand by one tile?

- Does this gas affect mimics, decoys and inactive clones?
05-23-2013 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I like the idea of the gas expanding, but perhaps getting weaker (ie you can spend more time in it) as it does so, down to a threshold at which point it disipates. That said, keeping track of how long you've spent in the gas, plus displaying different densities of the gas seems like a daunting task.

Also, what if the gas affects monsters, but perhaps in different ways. For example:
1. roaches, roach queens and spiders might be immune.
2. Goblins, golems, aumtlichs and other humanoids are susceptible to it (possibly immediately rather than gradually... keeping track of which monsters have more time allowed is daunting).
3. Wraithwings (and flying fegundos) might push the gas away from them as they beat their wings (possibly leading to increases in density in other areas). Imagine having to follow a group of WW through a moving bubble of breathable air within the gas cloud.
4. Exploding Fegundos and bombs might ignite the gas.
5. Tar-stuff babies might die if they are alone, but if caught in the gas in a homogeneous 2x2 or bigger group, might fuse into tar-stuff.
6. Snakes might swallow gas at their heads, and, err, re-emit gas periodically from their tails.

05-23-2013 at 07:25 PM
EpickMan89
There we go

05-23-2013 at 09:13 PM
Trickster
Shendy wrote:
As mentioned by other posters, please elaborate. There are some points that I want to ask below:

- Can this poisonous gas be neutralized/destroyed?

- If it spreads, how many turns does it take for it to expand by one tile?

- Does this gas affect mimics, decoys and inactive clones?
My impression is he likes the idea, but wants to know if others can suggest implementation details.

This could be one of the potential on/off squares where it's deadly one turn, not the next. It doesn't need to be complex. If it spreads, perhaps an emitter sprays it, then it spreads by one or two squares, then dissipates--but it would have to be predictable. Also, shallow water could negate the effects.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

05-23-2013 at 10:14 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
Should be realtime. 5 seconds, not 5 turns.

05-23-2013 at 11:02 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5065
Yeah!!!!!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-24-2013 at 06:55 AM
EpickMan89
icon Re: Poisonus gas (+5)  
Does anyone actually like this idea?

05-24-2013 at 07:18 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Does anyone actually like this idea?
It's intriguing. I'm not a fan of the Briar, though, because I feel like there aren't enough opportunities for controlling it in interesting ways. Compare Briar to Tar/Mud/Gel, for example. I find the Tar/Mud/Gel elements to be much more interesting because even though they often represent an impediment, they can also be used as tools to control and interact with other elements. The Briar is too blunt an instrument. Yes, you can control it a little by exposing pits, but this is a bit clumsy compared to the elegance of tar/mud/gel. And, yes, you can use it to block of and kill monsters, but again there's very little fine-grain control, so it's not very flexible. I don't think I'd want to see Gas become like another Briar. I'd want some way to meaningfully control it on a small scale like tar/mud/gel.

The other issue is the idea of being able to spend x turns in the gas. This is similar to hit points, a decidedly un-DROD idea. HotTiles aren't quite hit points. They're more like force arrows or ortho-squares. Any turn you start on a hottile, you have the same options: move or die. With gas, the options that you have on each turn change. Sometimes you gotta move or die, sometimes you can stand still. In other words, there's non-visual state involved in gas. This isn't, in itself, an idea killer (witness for example, the spawn timer). But it certainly gives me, as a DROD player, pause.

05-24-2013 at 02:02 PM
Trickster
stigant wrote:
It's intriguing. I'm not a fan of the Briar, though, because I feel like there aren't enough opportunities for controlling it in interesting ways. Compare Briar to Tar/Mud/Gel, for example.
Well, maybe poison gas turns briar into stuff so it makes Briar Babies.

Or maybe just have everything make Babies by default. Call it "Jim Henson's DROD Babies" and everything is babies. EVERYTHING IS BABIES

I'm sorry I have a problem with (tar)stuff and I am aware of this

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

05-24-2013 at 08:42 PM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
Perhaps the poison gas requires you to not move. As to be the opposite of HotTiles you can only rotate in the gas. The gas will either flow around the room or be emitted from vents in the ground and last for a length of time.

This is because you need to take very shallow breaths in the gas and cannot exert yourself very much.

I wish that man would stay away
05-24-2013 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Rank Points: 131
The spitemaster wrote:
Perhaps the poison gas requires you to not move. [...] This is because you need to take very shallow breaths in the gas and cannot exert yourself very much.
Swinging around a sword as large as your own body and cleaving through giants made of solid stone = not very exerting.
Falling flat on your face and rolling a few steps = extremely exerting.

Well, you could say that the poison gas was at waist level and therefore not yet affecting Beethro's upper body. The logical way to then get rid of the gas would be to swing your sword like a madman and just kind of fan it away from you depending on sword orientation and position of gassed tiles vs clear tiles. If you were swordless, Beethro could pull out a heart-printed paper fan instead!
05-25-2013 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
The spitemaster wrote:
Perhaps the poison gas requires you to not move. As to be the opposite of HotTiles you can only rotate in the gas. The gas will either flow around the room or be emitted from vents in the ground and last for a length of time.

This is because you need to take very shallow breaths in the gas and cannot exert yourself very much.
Or maybe you can't rotate in the gas! That would actually be a new mechanic, though people have been using futz-y methods of putting it together for a while.

Official Hold Progress

My Holds

05-25-2013 at 03:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Poisonus gas (Idea)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com