Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A few minor editor UI suggestions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
IP: Logged
icon A few minor editor UI suggestions (+1)  
1. Allow the builder to right click on an element to temporarily set that tile as the default one left behind (ie. instead of empty floor) when deleting other elements of the same layer. That way you could for example tweak the locations of trapdoors by just deleting and replacing them rather than having to switch back and forth between the trapdoor and pit elements.

2. When a vision token has been placed in the room, always show the builder evil eye vision lines. As is, they get really annoying to keep checking when you're tweaking an eye-centric puzzle.

3. Don't actually group water and shallow water together when the 'group menu items' option is disabled? They're kind of important, distinctly different tiles. The same sentiment applies to pressure plate variants and tokens - if you must always group something to save space, then group functionally identical tiles (eg. the bridge graphics, or Halph/Slayer audio variants) instead.
05-12-2013 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3746
icon Re: A few minor editor UI suggestions (0)  
OneMoreNameless wrote:
2. When a vision token has been placed in the room, always show the builder evil eye vision lines. As is, they get really annoying to keep checking when you're tweaking an eye-centric puzzle.

Or just toggle eye sight lines on and off, regardless of whether there's a vision token?

05-12-2013 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Jacob wrote: Or just toggle eye sight lines on and off, regardless of whether there's a vision token?
In the editor, yes, that would actually be really cool and helpful.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
05-12-2013 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jacob wrote:
OneMoreNameless wrote:
Or just toggle eye sight lines on and off, regardless of whether there's a vision token?
The tough part is that what you (might) really want is line of sight through temporary obstacles, i.e. to see where the eye's line of sight is even after the door it's staring at is dropped, or the monster it's staring at has moved, or the secret wall it's staring at has been broken, or.... I have no idea if this would be feasible, and for that matter whether it would be more confusing than helpful. In the end, it's probably just easier not to put evil eyes in rooms, isn't it?
05-12-2013 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746
My comment relates to UI in the editor (as did OneMoreNameless'sssss), and assumes while the eye sightlines are toggled to ON, they will be updated with each change to the room (since, for example, it doesn't make sense for the eye to keep looking through a wall you've just added)

Not sure I understand Tahnan's post, though.

Eyes can see through monsters anyway so not sure why such a feature would be useful.

Since we're talking about the editor, if you want to see what the eye is looking at when a door opens/crumbly wall is broken then just delete that element (and then undo your last change).

05-12-2013 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : A few minor editor UI suggestions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com