Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : MineDRODCraft (Make KDD level in Minecraft.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon MineDRODCraft (+4)  
I was thinking of leaving my XBox running during the day to host a shared world. And then people could join and we'd try to create the first level of KDD using Minecraft as an editor. Or maybe just take it one room at a time. There'd be no special coordination other than what arises naturally.

Thoughts on making KDD in Minecraft...
* run the world as "peaceful" with no monsters, and no PvP.
* I think it is more fun to build when you have to mine your own materials.
* we can find a cool seed that uses a DROD word like "drod" or "beethro" as the basis of the world.
* one square in the drod world is 1-to-1 with one square in the minecraft world.
* when we are all done, we can make some "tour" video
* open world times are roughly 4am to 8pm PST, M-F, and I'll keep it up more than that if it doesn't interfere with my other habits.

Would anyone be interested?

-Erik

11-10-2012 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
icon Re: MineDRODCraft (0)  
I think I might be in on that.
11-10-2012 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Cool. What is your XBox player name? I have to add you as a friend before you can get into the hosted world. Feel free to email me if you prefer to keep it secret.

11-10-2012 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Oh, right. :? I just saw minecraft, and I don't have an XBox...

[Last edited by Someone Else at 11-10-2012 03:36 AM]
11-10-2012 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ditto - only got it on PC... I'm wondering about the mechanics too though. I haven't played it much but wouldn't each room just seem like a mostly open space? (depending on the room of course)

Also, what about doors etc? I know Minecraft can do clever stuff but wondering if that would be implementable?
11-10-2012 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I think doors should probably be implementable using redstone circuits and pistons. We even have both pressure plates and levers/buttons (to take the place of orbs).

I'm another person who only has a computer and not an XBox.

11-10-2012 at 05:59 AM
ErikH2000
I don't mind moving to PC if that's the popular choice. But then somebody else would have to host, since I don't have a machine other than the XBox that can be on for hours running a server.

Yeah, Redstone in theory could make pressure plate style doors opening and closing. Sounds hard though.

11-10-2012 at 06:36 AM
ErikH2000
Syntax wrote:
Ditto - only got it on PC... I'm wondering about the mechanics too though. I haven't played it much but wouldn't each room just seem like a mostly open space? (depending on the room of course)
Why? There are lots of walls in the DROD rooms. You could choose different heights for the walls.

11-10-2012 at 06:38 AM
Syntax
ErikH2000 wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Why? There are lots of walls in the DROD rooms. You could choose different heights for the walls.
I look forward to seeing how this pans out and willing to help in any way (though again - I've hardly played Minecraft)

About the walls vs open space - just seems to me that transitioning from 2d to 3d would make rooms look a lot more "empty". Also, not sure how varying the wall height would change that or what heights should be chosen (and why they would in fact be different heights)
11-10-2012 at 01:34 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
Just a thought, but if "emptiness" is a problem, could you go off of the smaller Flash DROD rooms?

11-11-2012 at 01:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: MineDRODCraft (+1)  
Actually, I'm torn between two kinds of wall height designs...

* FULL WALLS APPROACH - Every wall in DROD is full height to the ceiling in Minecraft. This makes the interesting, "what would Beethro really see?" view.
* HALF WALLS APPROACH - Most walls in DROD are translated one or two squares high with empty ceiling space over them. Some of the major walls like those dividing DROD rooms would be full height. This approach is more aestheticallly pleasing and less realistic.

XBox Minecraft's grid space is 1024 x 1024. So there is plenty of space to fit the 38 x 32 rooms in. Depth is 127, which could fit, in theory, 25 KDD levels with each level taking 5 blocks of depth, but... yeah, that seems too ambitious

-Erik.

11-12-2012 at 03:47 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mainly I'm curious how you're going to do the monsters.

11-12-2012 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Jatopian wrote:
Mainly I'm curious how you're going to do the monsters.
I think I'd just aim for aesthetics. I kinda hate the Minecraft monsters. They stress me out.

11-13-2012 at 01:56 AM
Syntax
How high can a wall be? Could be interesting to have each level as a single 1 block deep wall with holes for floor space (for example).

Would look surreal to see each level like that stood next to each other like misformed dominos
11-16-2012 at 12:13 AM
ErikH2000
Syntax wrote:
How high can a wall be? Could be interesting to have each level as a single 1 block deep wall with holes for floor space (for example).

Would look surreal to see each level like that stood next to each other like misformed dominos
I think I picture what you are saying. I think the resulting creation might look noisy and hard to interpret. Certainly feasible to create though.

-Erik

11-16-2012 at 12:34 AM
Jatopian
I agree. Feasible, but boring and not worthwhile.

11-16-2012 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
I think this little project is fizzling, due to a venn diagram with the circle of DROD players active on the forum that are also XBox 360 minecraft players having a very small sliver of overlap. Ah well.

11-17-2012 at 05:17 AM
Jatopian
Can Xbox Minecraft servers not accomodate PC players?

11-17-2012 at 05:25 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Jatopian wrote:
Can Xbox Minecraft servers not accomodate PC players?

Xbox Minecraft is based on an older version and working forward to catch up (currently early in the adventure update), but with major bugfixes done earlier. So there's really no PC version that would exactly match the Xbox one.

It's also limited to one block (which is still pretty big) and I think has a different terrain generator so that that block will have most or all of the biomes.

11-17-2012 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
t_z
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
I would be in for PC, if people are still interested in doing this.

t_z
12-13-2012 at 03:45 AM
Delpolo
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: MineDRODCraft (+14)  
Did someone say First Level?

12-30-2012 at 11:10 PM
ErikH2000
Wow.

That is so badass.

If anybody goes to watch this video (and you should), watch it to the very end. There is a cool surprise. I liked the whole thing, but at the end my interest level spiked, and I got really happy.

Delpolo, can you post a flyover video? I know that was already a huge amount of work to make the level and a video of it, with audio dubbing and all. But if there is a flyover showing the overall layout, I think it would be awe-inspiring.

-Erik

12-30-2012 at 11:45 PM
Delpolo
No worries, I've already planned to record another video on this where I show the redstone side of it, and I'll fly over everything and show more of the surprise. I'll be sure to post here again once it's done!

12-31-2012 at 12:20 AM
ErikH2000
Looking forward to it!

-Erik

12-31-2012 at 12:25 AM
Damien
Rank Points: 42
That was brilliant, and now I want to play a first person-perspective DROD.

12-31-2012 at 02:50 AM
ErikH2000
Damien wrote:
That was brilliant, and now I want to play a first person-perspective DROD.
In fact, that exists... http://www.tlkgames.com/en/game/drod-3d

Weird, huh?

-Erik

12-31-2012 at 03:02 AM
Neather man
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 6
I just have to show gage KDD, and he is sure to be great for it, as he is a huge Minecraft expert.
12-31-2012 at 04:07 PM
Delpolo
icon Re: MineDRODCraft (+5)  
One week later, here's the second video!

It starts with a flyover, then the redstone side of it is from 2:00 to about 17:00; I show off the interest-spiking surprise a bit more until 21:00, and then it ends with a completely zoomed-out view of the First Level.

01-06-2013 at 05:07 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Am I blind, or are the roaches invisible?

01-06-2013 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
The monsters in Minecraft move in real-time, and the most basic monster, the zombie, automatically pathfinds to the player analogous to a brained roach in DROD. All monsters that don't pathfind either climb up walls (spiders) or fall in pits (slimes). Neither of which are desirable functions.

So right now the levels don't have any monsters in them.

01-06-2013 at 08:33 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : MineDRODCraft (Make KDD level in Minecraft.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com