Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
<<49505152
Page 53 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
IP: Logged
icon Re: Look! Links! (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
west.logan wrote:
Okay. This is just too funny not to share:

http://twitpic.com/9mftyi

Because I am a big fan of describing the contents of links, so that people can judge whether or not to click on them:

This picture contains a dog wearing a silly outfit. However it's a kind of outfit I'd never seen before and is obviously a product of a creative mind, so it's better than most pictures of the sort. This recommendation comes from a 19-year-old male.

Let's just say I approve of the link.

06-01-2012 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 608
Chaco wrote:

Because I am a big fan of describing the contents of links, so that people can judge whether or not to click on them:

This picture contains a dog wearing a silly outfit. However it's a kind of outfit I'd never seen before and is obviously a product of a creative mind, so it's better than most pictures of the sort. This recommendation comes from a 19-year-old male.

C'mon. Crack a smile Chaco. Alrighty, next time I tell you a joke I'll describe all of the characters and punchlines and then you can decide if it's funny enough that you want to hear it. Did you think I'd posted something NSFW or what?

It's a funny picture. You look at it. You laugh. :D

06-01-2012 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hyeron
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: Look! Links! (0)  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QTZF8cF-fyo

I... Just... This... WHAT?
Brain can't compute.

06-05-2012 at 09:25 AM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
The Transit of Venus, 2012, which will not recur until 2117, began about 2 hours ago, and will run for another 5 or so hours.

SDO (the Solar Dynamics Observatory satellite) footage of the event is being continuously updated and posted here: venustransit.gsfc.nasa.gov, and the APoD (NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day) is being continuously updated with a stunning still image (also pulled from SDO) of Venus against the sun's disc at its current point of transit here: apod.nasa.gov.

Enjoy.
06-06-2012 at 12:35 AM
Panther
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 402
icon Re: Look! Links! (+3)  
For anyone who is a Dominion fan, the entirety of the game, with all the expansions and promotional cards, has been wonderfully implemented for online free and adless play with ranking here:
dominion.isotropic.org
07-04-2012 at 10:54 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
The Dota 2 Experience

For anyone who's curious about Dota and what playing it is like, this is a great read. The writer has a good sense of humor and also provides some acute insights, like this one:

"Dota 2 is fencing. That's the skill, and the appeal. I finally see it. You're fighting back and forth down these lanes, looking for an opening in the other heroes' defense. The other guy's too close to your tower, or too far from his friend, his ultimate skill's on cooldown, his health is low. Fights in other games last seconds. Fights in Dota 2 are dramatic; entire minutes of feints and narrow escapes. Duels that can span forests, roads and rivers without coming to an end."

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-10-2012 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
I wish I could get into DOTA, but the communities are too focused on perfection to care for a random newbie. People that play now want an honest game against and with players at their skill level, and do *not* take kindly to new players.

It would be sort of like trying to get into playing baseball as an adult, but nobody wants to pitch to you.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
07-10-2012 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
12th Archivist wrote:
I wish I could get into DOTA, but the communities are too focused on perfection to care for a random newbie. People that play now want an honest game against and with players at their skill level, and do *not* take kindly to new players.

It would be sort of like trying to get into playing baseball as an adult, but nobody wants to pitch to you.
Oh, it's easy to get into DOTA! Just follow this helpful guide and everything will be clear in no time.

On a more serious note, I volunteer to train you if you really want to learn more about the game (assuming you have a beta key, of course). My Steam ID is nillo42. There are bots, and you can fight the bots as long as you desire before venturing forth into real games where people will get mad if you do the wrong things. To continue your baseball analogy, there are people like me out there who will offer to be your coach because they really do love the game and want more people to start playing.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-11-2012 at 07:23 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Look! Links! (+2)  
Cats are awesome!

08-09-2012 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
icon Re: Look! Links! (+3)  
What if a glass was literally half-empty?

08-14-2012 at 05:10 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606

File: hair helmet.png (329.5 KB)
Downloaded 1390 times.
License: Public Domain
The invisible bicycle helmet.
Meh, I'd rather wear Bret McKenzie's hair helmet:

08-21-2012 at 11:11 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Staying with Flight of the Conchords, they have a new song out to benefit New Zealand charity Cure Kids. More details here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/flight-of-the-conchords-do-charity-song-for-kids_n_1833238.html
The video is funny. (It's good to see Murray again.)
08-29-2012 at 09:09 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Loved that!

08-29-2012 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Earthlings 101 is a series of YouTube videos presenting earth and humans from the perspective of an alien. It shows some interesting new angles on humans and their behaviors and the style can be described as a sort of weird mix between The Selfish Gene and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I highly recommend it for watching and subscribing (it's ongoing with currently 7 episodes).

10-09-2012 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Rank Points: 121
How to staple your hand.

10-10-2012 at 07:02 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Youtube link: Luna (from the Machinima Interactive Film Festival)

12-03-2012 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
So I've never played a Legend of Zelda game (don't sue me... :D) but I still found this video hilarious:

Legend of Zelda: Pot Smasher

Click here to view the secret text

12-15-2012 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
My wife and I really enjoyed this (she just played through Ocarina of Time and it captured the pot-smashing spirit well). This is Lindsey Stirling, she makes VERY animated videos of herself dancing while playing the violin.

Oh, and I'm suing you.

12-15-2012 at 01:50 PM
Red-XIII
Rank Points: 623
I just saw this on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYopqtXMSwY

It brought me a tear...

12-19-2012 at 07:21 PM
Maurog
So, you've always been interested in programming, but you don't have the time, motivation and confidence to learn it? And besides, coding is a mysterious dark art completely incomprehensible to lil' ole you? Not anymore!

Codecademy is a site which makes it accessible to all. You don't need to install anything or have any prior knowledge - it will teach you from scratch with interactive courses. (I recommend the Javascript course for beginners).

It's built like a game, really - a course is like a hold, it's broken into sections which are like levels, and further broken into tasks which are like rooms. Every room is a separate challenge, and since you do them in order you will have enough knowledge to solve it, as long as you read the instructions. If you're stuck, try the Hint, or go to the forums.

Oh, and did I mention it rewards you with shiny badges? It's true!

12-25-2012 at 09:58 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Maurog wrote:
Codecademy is a site which makes it accessible to all. You don't need to install anything or have any prior knowledge - it will teach you from scratch with interactive courses. (I recommend the Javascript course for beginners).
The entry course is a bit too hard, I wasn't able to get their servers back up, it keeps refusing my connection :(.

12-26-2012 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
ACTA 2.0: TAFTA

http://www.citizen.org/IP-out-of-TAFTA

and CISPA

http://readwrite.com/2013/03/11/cispa-supporters-opponents-and-you
(some of the companies there have retracted since, but most didn't.)

03-18-2013 at 05:07 PM
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/moments-that-restored-our-faith-in-humanity-this-y

I just wanted to pop in and greet you a good day. :)

[Last edited by The Architest at 04-04-2013 05:45 PM]
04-04-2013 at 05:45 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Here's a link to an article about using a really simple mathematical model to teach a computer to play NES games, such as Super Mario Bros. or Tetris. It contains a video, and a paper with more gory technical details.

The author is Tom Murphy VII, the guy responsible for our beloved Tom's New Roman font.

04-15-2013 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
How (not) to design a Free-to-play game. (video)

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/24/iphone-garbage-super-monster-bros-by-adventure-time-pocket-free-games

(This was so bad I was speechless after watching.)

04-30-2013 at 11:05 AM
Tim
We've discussed this page on the chat today, and we agreed it was interesting enough to store it here:

If NES games were made today

05-01-2013 at 12:23 AM
Tim
Currently on holiday, but there's this link that could be interested to some people here:

Main Points from Valve's Greenlight Developer Chat 5-7-13

05-07-2013 at 11:55 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Maybe we are passed this, but still:

The most common arguments denying global warming with responses rebutting them as well as links to the science behind the issues.

06-23-2013 at 12:53 PM
west.logan
Going out on a limb here, though I'm not looking to open any debate.

One thing that annoys me about global warming advocates is when the argument is couched in terms that essentially says "everyone but a few idiots agree"---you're already begging the question (not that you're doing that Rheb). Also, this link is written not to convince skeptics, more to ridicule them and preach to the choir, so it's of little use in my mind.

I'm remaining a skeptic. I'm in the 95th percentile of "green" Americans anyway (mainly because I'm cheap and ride my bike to work).

It's also a bit disconcerting when this type of research is touted as being "science" and "scientists agree", as though there were no human factors involved. For example, following the source listed for "97% of climatologist agree" shows that the study was actually done on abstracts containing the words "climate change" and of those abstracts, 97% argued that humans were causing climate change. There's a lot of room for bias right there, as it depends on whether opponents used terms other than "climate change" whether these were PUBLISHED papers, and more importantly, what journals were used.

Journals are not unbiased sources of information as I'm sure many of you know better than me. It depends on who controls the journal, especially in something that is about as unexact a science as we have (similar to economics). Sure, if those in charge of the editing have an axe to grind, then I expect the papers published in the journals to conform to that view. Right now, you can't get a job as a climatologist unless you conform to the mainstream view, that's not an unbiased field, even if the bias is the correct one. Think about Copernicus or Galileo.

The position seems to be unfalsifiable, which bothers me. If there is a warmer year, that's global warming. If there is a cooler year, that's swings, or out of equilibrium, or whatever. I'd like to know what a global warming advocate thinks would be convincing evidence disproving the theory before I start evaluating the evidence proving it.

Lastly, models. I also have this problem with economic models. We try to simplify very, very, complex systems to make predictions. But when you have to tweak and tweak and still not be able to account for all the variables that could happen, that makes the model useful only so far. To think we can model what will happen in a few centuries when we can't really predict what will happen next month seems a bit silly (and yes I realize those are different models).

So basically, I'm skeptical and perhaps agnostic about this and my personal opinion (without any "science" to back it up) is that earth is a lot more robust than we think, and we have a lot less impact than we think. Regardless, I don't enjoy being treated in consequence as a "denier" and having my head buried in the sand, and that's my soap box talk for the day.

[Last edited by west.logan at 06-24-2013 02:20 PM]
06-24-2013 at 02:18 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
west.logan wrote:
One thing that annoys me about global warming advocates is when the argument is couched in terms that essentially says "everyone but a few idiots agree"---you're already begging the question (not that you're doing that Rheb). Also, this link is written not to convince skeptics, more to ridicule them and preach to the choir, so it's of little use in my mind.
What part of the content at that link to you find ridicules skeptics? It looks to me like concise arguments with scientific backing rather than any sort of personal attack on anyone.

If you disagree with the science behind the arguments that's cool, but... I sure don't see the ridiculing.

[Last edited by Schik at 06-24-2013 07:00 PM : Just editing to say that I'm not engaging in any mod point warfare over this.]
06-24-2013 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
<<49505152
Page 53 of 56
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Look! Links! (For posting cool links for all to see)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com