Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Frozen Land (One level hold for AE)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Red-XIII
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 623
IP: Logged
icon Frozen Land (+1)  
Hi all :) While my big hold is still under final verifications I decided in these 3 days to create a single level hold for Architect edition because I still had ideas (my best ones) for this version. Also this is the version I know best and plus I love the ice theme and it's music :) Probably this will be my last hold for AE so I wanted it to be as beautiful and hard as my mind could. Many rooms are simmetric, others are not but who cares :) Let me know what you think about it and please report every mistake and if you want also architectual stuff you didn't like. I did this in 3 days, enjoy it!!!

EDIT: new version with 2 extra rooms

[Last edited by Red-XIII at 09-07-2012 07:14 PM : new version]
08-25-2012 at 03:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Frozen Land (0)  
Wow, I've only just beaten the first room of the hold, the Entrance, and already I'm impressed. This is a pretty tough room because it requires some strategical considerations, both with the obvious conditions the tar mother imposes, but also the roach queens, which can make the south section very difficult to handle if large amounts of roaches are allowed to spawn in both the left and right parts of the south chamber.

-

Unfortunately, I do have one thing I should point out - the player can get himself stuck if he accidentally (or intentionally) creates a tar baby and then leaves the room to the West. When he comes back to the Entrance, all the monsters will return, and then there is no way to prevent a tar baby spawning at (13, 16), because both the tar mother and the orb are too far away. Now, there might still be a way to conquer the room if there's some other way the player can run around and eventually appear at another entrance to that room (say, the South entrance). But if there is such a route, I haven't found it yet.

-

Anyway, you're doing great and I'll have more comments when I play the rest of the rooms.

08-25-2012 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
Chaco wrote:
Wow, I've only just beaten the first room of the hold, the Entrance, and already I'm impressed. This is a pretty tough room because it requires some strategical considerations, both with the obvious conditions the tar mother imposes, but also the roach queens, which can make the south section very difficult to handle if large amounts of roaches are allowed to spawn in both the left and right parts of the south chamber.

-

Unfortunately, I do have one thing I should point out - the player can get himself stuck if he accidentally (or intentionally) creates a tar baby and then leaves the room to the West. When he comes back to the Entrance, all the monsters will return, and then there is no way to prevent a tar baby spawning at (13, 16), because both the tar mother and the orb are too far away. Now, there might still be a way to conquer the room if there's some other way the player can run around and eventually appear at another entrance to that room (say, the South entrance). But if there is such a route, I haven't found it yet.

-

Anyway, you're doing great and I'll have more comments when I play the rest of the rooms.

I must say it again, your eye is incredible. Mhh I think that a solution exist but it's hard to find it, I'll crush my head to fix this. By the way I'm super-happy you liked the entrance :D

08-25-2012 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
It looks like the solution was simpler than I thought. I put an orb also to the west entrance so even if you exit without conquer you can do the entrance again from all the sides. I won't post the fixed version, I'll wait for others mistakes and post it all fixed. But if you want it just ask :)

08-25-2012 at 04:11 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I've been enjoying this, as far as I got. The entrance is good, and actually quite easy when you figure out which order to do things, but I suppose most rooms are like that. :)

2W, I spent ages trying to kill the wraithwing in the wrong place.

1W, pretty easy, though those snakes can be slippery critters at times.

1E, I was grateful for that central checkpoint.

2E, I only just manage this one in time, so when I saw 3E, I walked away and didn't look back. Probably not possible for someone as inefficient as me.

1S2W, I can stand my ground, but can't get near the queens or brains to make any headway. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way.

1S1W, I like this one, but I haven't beaten it yet.

1S, ugh!

1S1E, this one seemed daunting at first but I really enjoyed it. Most enjoyable room so far for me.

2S1E, easy, potion not needed.

2S2E, did I mention snakes can be slippery critters? It took me a few hundred moves to kill this *&^%$£. It would not go where I wanted it to.

2S2E, 3S2E, nothing to do really.

That's as far as I got.

08-27-2012 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Chaco wrote:

Pardon my stupidity, Chaco, but how can you accidentally, or otherwise, create a tar baby and leave to the west. Surely the green doors would still be up? Unless the tar baby was created while you were stood where the green door is. But then that would mean the tar mother is still alive.

I just know I am going to regret asking this at this time of night. :lol
08-27-2012 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
bandit1200 wrote:
Pardon my stupidity, Chaco, but how can you accidentally, or otherwise, create a tar baby and leave to the west. Surely the green doors would still be up?

Easy. First, drop the green doors by killing all the monsters in the room while the room is still unconquered. This turns the room green. Then, stab some tar, which spawns tar babies and turns the room red and unconquered again. However, the green doors are still open, so you can then leave the room to the West.

This means you've gone past the green door but left the room unconquered, so when you come back from the West entrance the room is still full of monsters.

08-28-2012 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Heh, I knew I shouldn't ask stupid questions late at night. :lol Cheers!
08-28-2012 at 08:47 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
I've been enjoying this, as far as I got. The entrance is good, and actually quite easy when you figure out which order to do things, but I suppose most rooms are like that. :)

2E, I only just manage this one in time, so when I saw 3E, I walked away and didn't look back. Probably not possible for someone as inefficient as me.

1S2W, I can stand my ground, but can't get near the queens or brains to make any headway. Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way.

1S, ugh!

2S1E, easy, potion not needed.

2S2E, did I mention snakes can be slippery critters? It took me a few hundred moves to kill this *&^%$£. It would not go where I wanted it to.

2S2E, 3S2E, nothing to do really.

That's as far as I got.

I was actually surprised when I discovered a method to do 2E in less than 4 spawn; as you can see in 3E there is only one tar mother, because I didn't find a way to optimize timing, the best I did is 126 moves to kill both eyes in 2E but it would be great if someone finds a better way :)
1S2W I did that room in 2 ways, if you want hints just ask :)
1S, what ugh means? xD 1) I don't like it 2) it's frustating 3) I hate it
2S1E wow I didn't do that without potion, mabye I should modify a bit and make it more difficult.
2S2E 3S2E Yes I created them just to fill some space and put some useless monsters just to make them less boring.

I see that you didn't tried north rooms, hope you'll like them :)

08-28-2012 at 12:06 PM
Lucky Luc
Rank Points: 1215
icon Re: Frozen Land (+1)  
Just finished the hold expect for 3E, I enjoyed it quite a lot, especially the fact that you've also always put some thought into seemingly random rooms. Some comments:

1N1W:
Click here to view the secret text
1N: Liked this one, though the design made it rather obvious what had to be done.
1N1E: Tricky beginning. The rest of the room was managable.
2W: Nice, took me some time to realize where to kill the wraithwing.
1W:
Entrance, 1E, 2E, 3E: Pretty much agree with everything bandit1200 said.
1S2W: Quite tough to fight my way over to the brains, and even after realizing what had to be done first, actually succeeding in doing so felt more like a coincidence than my own achievement. Finishing the brains leaves you with a good feeling though ;)
1S1W: Very nice, though once my mimic was in the southern area, the rest of the room almost seemed to easy compared to the beginning.
1S: At first I thought I'd never get through this one, but then I realized that the room was actually designed very fair and actually enjoyed it a lot, making it one of my favorite rooms. One suggestion though: A few more checkpoints would serve both areas very well.
1S1E: Much easier than it looks, but nice anyway.
2S1W: Nice and easy once the first few steps were done.
2S: Again, I felt that I rather solved this one by accident; much easier than 1S2W though.
2S1E: Again, tricky beginning but managable rest. I did use the potion, though :P I'd suggest to remove the "natural" dead-ends at (31,6) and (12,4) to force the player to keep alive some monsters until the snake is dead.
3S: Loved the wraithwing puzzle in this one, very nice!
2S2W, 3S1W, 3S2W: All of them are rather simple, but I kind of liked the layout of them. Maybe a bit more of a puzzle would be good here, though.

I didn't notice any backtracking problems, but I'm not very good at that.

[Last edited by Lucky Luc at 08-28-2012 03:48 PM]
08-28-2012 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
I concur w/ the other testers, nice hold!

I conquered the hold, but will just add a few comments.

Please make your hold Anyone Edit during testing.
1N1W- I don't know why the scroll said it's not as it seems?
1N- I'm pretty sure you can edit the room so it doesn't use the top row.
1S2W- Tough room. I circled around so the snakes died amidst the roaches chasing me.

Nice job.
08-28-2012 at 05:45 PM
Red-XIII
larrymurk wrote:
I concur w/ the other testers, nice hold!

I conquered the hold, but will just add a few comments.

Please make your hold Anyone Edit during testing.
1N1W- I don't know why the scroll said it's not as it seems?
1N- I'm pretty sure you can edit the room so it doesn't use the top row.
1S2W- Tough room. I circled around so the snakes died amidst the roaches chasing me.

Nice job.

Thanks!!! Yes from now on I'll make like this, anyone editable; about 1N I just had an idea to modify it a bit :) 1N2W I put that scroll to confuse the player, also the mimic is not necessary but at first sight it could have been useful. 1S2W Yes that's one way I did that room too; I also cleared the room arriving to the brain and use them as a wall so the snakes died very quickly :) About 3E, I wonder how many moves you needed since I designed that room using my best efficience but mabye it can be done faster.
By the way I love all of your holds!!!

08-28-2012 at 06:58 PM
Red-XIII
Lucky Luc wrote:

1N1W:
1N: Liked this one, though the design made it rather obvious what had to be done.
1S: At first I thought I'd never get through this one, but then I realized that the room was actually designed very fair and actually enjoyed it a lot, making it one of my favorite rooms. One suggestion though: A few more checkpoints would serve both areas very well.
2S1E: Again, tricky beginning but managable rest. I did use the potion, though :P I'd suggest to remove the "natural" dead-ends at (31,6) and (12,4) to force the player to keep alive some monsters until the snake is dead.

I didn't notice any backtracking problems, but I'm not very good at that.

1N1W yes it's there but is not useful, just to make the player think: what's there for?
1S Mhh I'll add checkpoint on east and west inside the trapdoors :)
2S1E You're right I must make this room a little harder :)
Thanks for playing it :)

08-28-2012 at 07:04 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
Thanks, I'm glad you like my holds:)

I conquered the hold but did not solve 3E:) I'll leave that for the pros!
08-28-2012 at 07:19 PM
Red-XIII
larrymurk wrote:
Thanks, I'm glad you like my holds:)

I conquered the hold but did not solve 3E:) I'll leave that for the pros!

Is 3E really that hard? while testing myself I found harder 1S2W than 3E; and if you aren't pro nobody is, you and Jutt were my inspiration for this hold and (let's hope) the future ones :D

08-28-2012 at 07:40 PM
Red-XIII
[Post Deleted] mxvladi wrote:
Since you seem to be interested in how people are doing with 2E and 3E, I'll say that it's possible to kill tar mother in 2E before it spawns for the 4th time(in my solution, I killed it on 120th turn, but I didn't try too hard so maybe it's possible to improve a bit)... which means that 3E *is* possible with two tar mother eyes(for now, I kill tar mother in 3E on turn 114). And it's not very tricky to pull off.

Wow that's awesome :D I kill tar mother or turn 120 so your route is 6 steps faster, I have to try it again!!!

08-28-2012 at 08:44 PM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
1S, what ugh means? xD 1) I don't like it 2) it's frustating 3) I hate it

Probably all three. :) I like trapdoor puzzles, and I don't mind tar puzzles, but when the two are together I can just about guarantee I'll make a mistake near to the end and have to restart the room - 9 or 10 times. Maybe I should play *before* I take my med's. :lol

Red-XIII wrote:
I see that you didn't tried north rooms, hope you'll like them :)

I did 1N but had forgotten about it. I haven't had chance to look at the others yet.
08-28-2012 at 08:49 PM
Red-XIII
A little update. 1N modified a bit, now it's a little "harder". 2S2E modified, now it's more frustating (at least for me). And some little changing on detail on some rooms. Oh, it's anyone editable, I should have done this before :)

08-28-2012 at 09:44 PM
bandit1200
Red-XIII wrote:
A little update. 1N modified a bit, now it's a little "harder". 2S2E modified, now it's more frustating (at least for me). And some little changing on detail on some rooms. Oh, it's anyone editable, I should have done this before :)

frustrating doesn't necessarily mean fun, although I think I prefer it to that damn snake. :)

1N, it might be harder, but not if you already did it the easy way first, if you see what I mean.

1N1E, again, my type of room. It's fun.

1N1W, for my style of playing, I needed to take 3 or 4 goes to figure out which way to point the sword when entering the room, after that it became easy.

Got to go back and beat 1S, 1S1W, 1S2W. Ah, I just noticed there's something below 1S, so I have more to do yet.

08-29-2012 at 01:55 AM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Red-XIII wrote:

1N, it might be harder, but not if you already did it the easy way first, if you see what I mean.

Got to go back and beat 1S, 1S1W, 1S2W. Ah, I just noticed there's something below 1S, so I have more to do yet.

I thought the same about 1N, the strategy it's the same but now for those who never seen it it's a little more confusing. I hope you'll enjoy 2S and 3S :)

08-29-2012 at 08:57 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
1N 1E - you do realise that, if mimic steps off the trapdoor in correct direction, I can turn my sword in three directions and not just one? (east-only solution isn't much harder, but still)

1N 1W - I'm really dissapointed that

08-29-2012 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
1N 1E - you do realise that, if mimic steps off the trapdoor in correct direction, I can turn my sword in three directions and not just one? (east-only solution isn't much harder, but still)

1N1E I didn't looked well but I'll fix this. About 1N1W it's the easiest room of the hold, I wanted it to be harder but I couldn't. I didn't thought of every possible ways, I must look it again. I'll take your advice, mimic should have a role...

08-29-2012 at 07:31 PM
bandit1200
Last room, and I can't figure out how to kill the snake in 1S1W.
If I kill it with the mimic, I can't reach the force arrows. If I don't kill it with the mimic, I can't kill it in the red door. Where am I going wrong?

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-29-2012 10:00 PM]
08-29-2012 at 09:59 PM
mxvladi
bandit1200 wrote:
Last room, and I can't figure out how to kill the snake in 1S1W.
If I kill it with the mimic, I can't reach the force arrows. If I don't kill it with the mimic, I can't kill it in the red door. Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: Random edit out of nowhere!

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-02-2014 07:18 PM]
08-29-2012 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Thank you, mvxladi. It could have been days before that occurred to me, if at all.

edit: Hah! I beat 3E on the 2nd attempt!

I look forward to more holds like this. Ones I can actually finish are few and far between. :D

[Last edited by bandit1200 at 08-30-2012 01:03 AM]
08-29-2012 at 11:15 PM
Red-XIII
bandit1200 wrote:
Hah! I beat 3E on the 2nd attempt!

I look forward to more holds like this. Ones I can actually finish are few and far between. :D

3E at first sight may seem hard but once you figured out the way to be efficient is very easy :) I'll try as hasd as I can to create hold like this but for now I didn't finished with this yes, I still have to modify some rooms and this night 2 idea just came so I might add 2 rooms in this hold :)

08-30-2012 at 09:52 AM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:

Ok I fixed the 1N1E problem and I modified totally 1N1W, now it should be a lot harder than before.

I also added a new room, 2N. It took me 2 days to build it since I wanted it to be perfect in timing and in some movements. When I was building it I found many trivial solutions so I tried to change it over and over. Let me know if you find a strange solution and if you wander what's my intended solution was, ask a demo and I'll send it :)
I usually don't love rooms like that but this time I wanted to try myself :)

09-01-2012 at 02:02 PM
mxvladi
Attached .zip has two demos:

2N -> I'm pretty sure I didn't do it the way you intended(too many parts didn't make sense).

1N 1W -> A (pretty sneaky) solution which you probably didn't intend. (I solved the room the intended way first, but then I figured that it might be possible to do it a bit... differently). I'll note that it's probably even harder than what you intended.

I really like the new 1N 1W. It's much, much trickier efficiency puzzle than 3E, by the way - in 3E, the optimal route is clear(all player needs to do is to smite tar babies efficiently... not too interesting); in this one, player needs to figure out the order things need to happen in. Nicely done.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-01-2012 05:30 PM : removed attachment]
09-01-2012 at 02:35 PM
Red-XIII
mxvladi wrote:
Attached .zip has two demos:

2N -> I'm pretty sure I didn't do it the way you intended(too many parts didn't make sense).

1N 1W -> A (pretty sneaky) solution which you probably didn't intend. (I solved the room the intended way first, but then I figured that it might be possible to do it a bit... differently). I'll note that it's probably even harder than what you intended.

I really like the new 1N 1W. It's much, much trickier efficiency puzzle than 3E, by the way - in 3E, the optimal route is clear(all player needs to do is to smite tar babies efficiently... not too interesting); in this one, player needs to figure out the order things need to happen in. Nicely done.

I'm glad you like the new 1N2W :D
About the demos I couldn't see them because you probably recorded them with GeTEB version right? I have that version but it doesn't work :/ The latest version I have is the city beneath 3.2 I took the 3.3 but the update does not work.
Would you mind recording them in that version if you have time? I also think I know how you solved 1N1W, by not taking the first mimic right? While testing I tried escaping the goblins but I failed :)

09-01-2012 at 05:27 PM
mxvladi
Red-XIII wrote:
I have that version but it doesn't work :/ The latest version I have is the city beneath 3.2 I took the 3.3 but the update does not work. Would you mind recording them in that version if you have time?

I've re-recorded demos in 3.3(if they still don't work... sorry, I'm not willing to downgrade to 3.2; I'm not even sure I can do it at this point). Also, I threw in demo for The Entrance where I'm killing tar mother before it gets chance to spawn.

If you have problems with updating to 3.3 or using GaTEB, then maybe you might want to ask someone to help you with that?(I'd say "General" board is appropriate place for that)

I also think I know how you solved 1N1W, by not taking the first mimic right? While testing I tried escaping the goblins but I failed :)

Nope. I used both mimics, but differently. (I don't think not using that mimic, at least while solving the room the way you intend, is possible - goblins are too nasty and I simply have no time to get rid of them w/o mimic)

[Last edited by mxvladi at 09-01-2012 06:06 PM : attachment removed]
09-01-2012 at 05:45 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Frozen Land (One level hold for AE)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com