Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Widget Factory
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged

File: Widget Factory.hold (14.6 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Widget Factory (+2)  
This little hold of mine revolves around Halph in the first level and soldiers in the second. There are only nineteen puzzles, so it should not take too long for anyone to get through it.

I am quite satisfied with the hold, so removing a puzzle or adding a new one is unlikely at this point. Unintended solutions will be fixed, however.

Ask if any of you need a demo, and have fun!

Updated: 29-Oct-12

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 10-30-2012 02:30 AM]
06-21-2012 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Widget Factory (0)  
help, i'm stuck on 3w.

i use roaches on nw and se pps.
i can use the mirror on the ne or sw pp.

how do i trigger the last pp? halph?
06-22-2012 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
larrymurk wrote:
help, i'm stuck on 3w.

i use roaches on nw and se pps.
i can use the mirror on the ne or sw pp.

how do i trigger the last pp? halph?
Yep. If you are clever with the mirror,
Click here to view the secret text

It has to do with how Halph negotiates obstacles while following Beethro. If trying to follow to the east or west and there is an obstacle in the way, Halph will always choose to move northeast/northwest to deal with it.

That sounds rather obscure, actually. Maybe I should put a scroll in the room saying that.

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-22-2012 07:00 PM]
06-22-2012 at 06:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
thx, the first level is pretty fun, I'll post detailed comments in a day or 2.
06-23-2012 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Partner

Entr- Why not block east path w/ blue door instead of scripting?
1W- ok, halph training.
1W1N- ok, seemed like the main point was the pretty tight timing for when to send halph to hit the orb.
2W1N- all the doors didn't do much. i let the guard out then opened all the other doors. i had the guard kill the enemies, i put halph on the center pp, i killed the guard at the trap door.
2W- ok, after killing the roaches you can exit e or w.
3W- good, don't know why getting halph on a pp didn't work for me til you said so, but i ended up getting halph on the ne pp, by moving w and he went s under the mirror.
4W- didn't use halph. put 1 rattler in the opening facing e. put the other on the right arrow facing w then hit the pp.
4W1N- ok, nothing too tricky.
3W1N- broken? i sent halph around hitting the 3 pps then i pushed the mirror to the w of the aumtlich. i rode the platform to bump the n door (the w door closes releasing the aumtlich). then lured the aumtlich onto the platform and dropped him.
3W1S- broken? i bumped door and went into chamber while halph hit the orb. i killed roaches then bumped door and halph opened door. then i drooped trap doors and killed final roach. didn't use mirrors or top red door.
4W1S- ok, but don't need gel baby. i had halph hold the goblin on the pp and had tar baby kill the snake.
2W1S- error? you can solve this room and exit west after which i don't think you could ever get to 1W1S. maybe have all the pps close the w door forcing the player to exit east?
1W1S- good.

overall, fun.

onward to the next level..
06-23-2012 at 01:34 PM
12th Archivist
larrymurk wrote:
Entr- Why not block east path w/ blue door instead of scripting?
Meh. Why not?
1W1N- ok, seemed like the main point was the pretty tight timing for when to send halph to hit the orb.
Yep. Once Halph releases the briar, you need to get him moving pretty much right after.
2W1N- all the doors didn't do much. i let the guard out then opened all the other doors. i had the guard kill the enemies, i put halph on the center pp, i killed the guard at the trap door.
That was the intended solution.
3W- good, don't know why getting halph on a pp didn't work for me til you said so, but i ended up getting halph on the ne pp, by moving w and he went s under the mirror.
No problem.
4W- didn't use halph. put 1 rattler in the opening facing e. put the other on the right arrow facing w then hit the pp.
Unintended solution, with no easy fix.
3W1N- broken? i sent halph around hitting the 3 pps then i pushed the mirror to the w of the aumtlich. i rode the platform to bump the n door (the w door closes releasing the aumtlich). then lured the aumtlich onto the platform and dropped him.
That is the intended solution. Why did you think it was broken?
3W1S- broken? i bumped door and went into chamber while halph hit the orb. i killed roaches then bumped door and halph opened door. then i drooped trap doors and killed final roach. didn't use mirrors or top red door.
Unintended solution, but it is fixed for the next version.
4W1S- ok, but don't need gel baby. i had halph hold the goblin on the pp and had tar baby kill the snake.
Eh, as long as the room gets done, that should also be a fine solution.
2W1S- error? you can solve this room and exit west after which i don't think you could ever get to 1W1S. maybe have all the pps close the w door forcing the player to exit east?
That is quite the problem, but I fixed it by putting a red door at the west entrance.
overall, fun.

onward to the next level..
Good! Glad you enjoyed it! :) The next version should be released soon.

Just out of curiosity, when you say a room is "OK", does that mean you think the room is mediocre? Or just not as good as some of the others?

06-23-2012 at 04:32 PM
larrymurk
By OK, I mean that there isn't anything I think needs changing. It probably also means it wasn't really exciting to me, but we know that everyone enjoys different rooms and if I find something "annoying" like having to drop 1000 trap doors for no reason I'd surely try to point that out.

While we're at it I think I need you to tell me how to kill the guard in the entr to lvl 2 pretty please:)
06-25-2012 at 05:12 PM
12th Archivist
larrymurk wrote:
While we're at it I think I need you to tell me how to kill the guard in the entr to lvl 2 pretty please:)
Click here to view the secret text

06-25-2012 at 05:34 PM
larrymurk
Commander

Entr- ok, hopefully others are more skilled than i was here.
1S- ok. Really, is there any point in so many horns? Pretty easy.
2S- I had no problem killing the nest when the soldier reached the yellow doorway. Then I blocked him in using 2 decoys and proceeded to kill the evil eyes leaving me w/ a similar problem to the entr that i couldn't solve.
3S- Good, fun idea for a room using water skippers to lure soldier.
4S- Interesting concept. Very easy to kill the mud w/o the soldiers turning at all. The mud allowed them 2 turns leaving 1 to spare i think.
1S1E- ok, used decoys from 1st 2 chambers in 4th chamber.
2S1E- ok, a little tricky luring the seeps to the soldier.
3S1E- ok, not sure if you wanted to allow the player to strike the edge orbs many times to easily control the soldier/roach..
4S1E- interesting room w/ mud and tar growing, solved after playing around a little.

So, i think that's about it for my comments. Hopefully someone else will give it a playthrough for additional comments:)

Nice job, good luck with the hold Master Archivist!
06-27-2012 at 10:37 PM
12th Archivist
larrymurk wrote:
1S- ok. Really, is there any point in so many horns? Pretty easy.
The point is that there are so many horns that the player must step on several and go chase down the soldiers.
2S- I had no problem killing the nest when the soldier reached the yellow doorway. Then I blocked him in using 2 decoys and proceeded to kill the evil eyes leaving me w/ a similar problem to the entr that i couldn't solve.
That is an interesting way to solve the room. My solution was to position the decoys in such a way that the soldier was not overwhelmed by evil eyes.
1S1E- ok, used decoys from 1st 2 chambers in 4th chamber.
This room was actually based off of your winning entry for the Cheap Trick contest.
3S1E- ok, not sure if you wanted to allow the player to strike the edge orbs many times to easily control the soldier/roach..
Is there a potential problem that you see with it?

Thank you for the comments! :)

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-27-2012 10:52 PM]
06-27-2012 at 10:51 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Widget Factory (+1)  
I'm playing through the Partner level now, and I noticed that there's still a backtracking problem that needs to be solved:

Let's say you solve 3W, which places you behind a set of force arrows that keeps you from going back East. You want to solve some room, say, 1N1W, so you go ahead and solve 1S2W and 1S1W so you can get back.

Problem is, if you then go through 3W again (in case you wanted to solve some other room, like 1S4W), you're stuck because you can't go back through the force arrows in 3W and you can't go through the path in 1S2W anymore.

I don't think it would change the puzzle of 3W at all if you included some green doors next to the force arrows at the east side of the room, which would make it possible to backtrack from 3W to 2W. After that, backtracking to 1W is easy.

06-28-2012 at 08:21 PM
12th Archivist
Agreed. Simple problem with a simple solution. Thanks for pointing it out, Chaco.

This, along with the other few backtracking fixes, will be in the next version.

06-28-2012 at 08:25 PM
12th Archivist
In this version, the problems have been fixed and Commander: 1S has been removed entirely.

New version attached in the first post.

08-26-2012 at 07:42 PM
Chaco
I'll have some more comments when I have time to play through the rest of the hold, but for right now I think I found another unintended solution:

In the most recent version, Commander 1S1E has a trivial solution: just step inside the soldier area and kill two seep in the NE corner, since they're relatively non-defended. Then run clockwise around the outside of the room to put two more seep in the NE corner, and re-enter and kill those seep. In this way, all the seep in the North half can be killed, even though it will take a long time.

The SE corner is similarly vulnerable and a similar strategy will also work. Thus Beethro can kill every single seep in the room, even though it will be really tedious.

08-26-2012 at 10:13 PM
12th Archivist
A new version has been uploaded, this time fixing the unintended solution that Chaco found.

08-28-2012 at 03:48 AM
12th Archivist
A new version has been uploaded, with an updated puzzle, and maybe a few other things I forgot.

10-27-2012 at 03:43 AM
12th Archivist
A quick, last version that should not break any demos.

I am planning on using this as the version to upload to the HAs for final review. Comment now or forever hold your peace.

10-30-2012 at 02:31 AM
Chaco

File: WF Partner 2W Victory.demo (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
I'm pretty sure I found an unintended solution for Partner: 2W. This solution allows me to kill the golems wherever I feel like, as Halph is always the closest to the bottom orb.

I think the best way of fixing it would be to add a yellow door blocking Halph's exit, that Beethro needs to open when he gets past the first yellow door on his end. Then Halph starts up in the NE corner as intended, and the N, W, and E orbs are all closer than the S orb.

---

Also, as long as I'm here, can I ask for a demo for Partner: 1N1W? That room's seriously kicking my butt and I don't see where to save moves anymore.

EDIT:

After requesting a demo, I was finally able to solve the room using the Hints and Solutions request effect. Anyone else who wants a victory demo for that room, I will post my demo on request.

[Last edited by Chaco at 11-01-2012 01:55 AM]
11-01-2012 at 01:21 AM
12th Archivist
Chaco wrote:
I'm pretty sure I found an unintended solution for Partner: 2W. This solution allows me to kill the golems wherever I feel like, as Halph is always the closest to the bottom orb.

I think the best way of fixing it would be to add a yellow door blocking Halph's exit, that Beethro needs to open when he gets past the first yellow door on his end. Then Halph starts up in the NE corner as intended, and the N, W, and E orbs are all closer than the S orb.
With this hold already submitted to the HAs, I will just file this problem under "clever tricks" and hope most people use the normal solution. Nice find, though. I would not have thought of that.

11-01-2012 at 06:42 PM
Chaco

File: WF Partner 2W Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Alright, during the HA process the hold was updated to fix some unintended solutions in Partner: 2W and Commander: 3S.

Here's a demo for Partner 2W so 12th can verify that this is the correct solution.

11-16-2012 at 02:32 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Widget Factory
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com